Couch Causes Car Conflagration
Like many regions of the country, Fort Kent, Maine was sheathed in snow earlier this week. Unlike many regions of the country, an unusual event involving a couch and a burning car happened on Tuesday evening.
Fire Chief Ed Endee with the Fort Kent Fire Department led the team of responders when they got a call about the fire. “The car had backed over a couch that was out in the yard, apparently under some snow. Exhaust from the car got the couch to burn.” The fire then spread to the car itself.
Exactly how did this unfortunate happening occur? The owner of the car, Danielle Trudel, was trying to back out of her driveway. Somehow the car ran over the couch and lodged itself in the snow. She then went into her house. She claimed that she was unsure if she turned off her car. When she checked her vehicle to make sure it was turned off, it was too late. The flames from the couch had already started to consume the car.
Although Trudel attempted to quench the fire with a fire extinguisher and snow she shoveled onto the couch, she was unsuccessful. She called her local fire department who soon arrived with two engines and a heavy rescue truck. The crew had to move the burning car, which was stuck in a snowbank, in order to put out the fire.
Thankfully, no one was hurt in the incident and the car itself, although singed and manifesting minor damages, was still salvageable. Props to the Fort Kent firefighters who helped extinguish the inferno.
Bridge the Gap: Benefits of gap insurance
News Source: The County