General Motors Victim Compensation Fund Will Be ‘Generous and Fair’
Kenneth Feinberg, the high-profile lawyer in charge of the General Motors victim compensation fund following the ignition switch recall of earlier this year and that traces itself back over the last decade, recently told Bloomberg Television that the American automaker was going to be “generous and fair to the victims.”
Feinberg emphasized, “No matter what. That’s the mandate from General Motors.” Reportedly, Mary Barra told him specifically that she and the entire company wanted to do “the right thing.”
While Feinberg reported that there is “a cautious optimism” within GM, he issued a caveat: “Until that money begins to flow to eligible claimants—injured, killed—I think everybody is sort of waiting to see.”
Beginning on August 1st, affected victims or potential victims can begin to register for the General Motors victim compensation fund. They will have until December 31 to file a claim. Anyone who was injured in an accident (or family members of anyone killed in an accident) in one of the 2.59 million recalled vehicles and can prove that the airbags did not deploy is eligible for compensation, even if the vehicle operant had been drunk or texting at the time of the accident.