Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational to Feature Final Eight HBCU Marching Bands
The final eight marching bands from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) have been chosen by voters to “march on” to the 13th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase in Atlanta. The event, which will be held at the Georgia Dome on January 25th, 2015, will feature bands who were selected based on a mix of online fan voting and feedback from HBCU band directors, school presidents, and Honda representatives.
Here are the eight HBCU marching bands that made the cut:
- Mighty Marching Hornets from Alabama State University (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Marching Wildcats from Bethune-Cookman University (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Showtime Marching Band from Howard University (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Sonic Boom of the South from Jackson State University (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Blue and Gold Marching Machine from North Carolina A&T University (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Human Jukebox from Southern University (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Marching Tornado Band from Talladega College (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference)
Two of these bands – the Showtime Marching Band and the Marching Tornado Band – will be performing at the Honda Battle of the Bands for the first time. Whether they win or not, all eight entrants will receive a $20,000 grant towards their music department from the Honda Motor Company, which is also paying for their trip to Atlanta.
To see these HBCU marching bands compete live, get your tickets to the Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase here, for as low as $10.
“Honda congratulates the eight bands selected to participate in the Invitational Showcase and thanks all of the schools, students, alumni and fans that participated in the process leading to Atlanta,” said Stephan Morikawa, the assistant V.P. of Honda’s Corporate Community Relations, in a statement. “Honda is committed to supporting education at HBCUs by investing in their programs and providing a platform aimed at helping students realize what Honda calls ‘The Power of Dreams.’”
Related info: Honda Shows Off Self-Driving Car
- Terry LeeContributor
Terry Lee is the owner of Terry Lee Honda in Avon, IN. They sell new and pre-owned Honda cars, trucks, and SUVs. They proudly serve the Indianapolis area including Carmel and Fishers and provide financing, parts, and service to take care of any car needs you may have.