If You Wanted to See 191 GMCs Set a Guinness World Record, You Should Have Been in Abu Dhabi Last Week
Toward the end of 2017, Chevrolet Middle East set a pair of very, very, very specific Guinness World Records. Now, GMC Middle East is getting in on the Guinness fun, setting a new record for (drumroll, please) the largest parade of GMC vehicles.
GMC Middle East staged the record-setting parade of 191 GMC vehicles last week at the Yas Marina Formula One racetrack in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The procession of GMC vehicles was nearly two and a half miles long. It was led by a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali that was towing a nearly 100-foot flag displaying the likeness of UAE’s late ruler, Sheikh Zayed.
2018 GMC Sierra: Learn more about this full-size pickup
GMC Middle East probably shouldn’t get too excited, because all it did was break its own record. Set in November 2012, the previous record’s parade involved 181 GMC vehicles and was staged in Kuwait. So, if you’re sad about missing out on last week’s parade, just wait another 5 or 6 years and you’ll probably get a chance to see another.
Now that your curiosity is surely whetted, here are some other Guinness World Records invoving General Motors vehicles:
- 1973: A Detroit car salesman sells 1,425 Chevrolets to set a record for most cars sold by one person in a year
- 1999: A 100-foot limousine adapted from two Cadillacs sets a record for longest car
- 2011: Chevrolet sets a record for largest car mosaic with 1,143 vehicles
- 2012: A GMC 2500HD sets a record for fastest caravan tow at 141.998 mph
- 2016: A Ford F-450 SD truck tows a 4,123.55-square-foot American flag to break Chevrolet’s record for largest banner flown by a vehicle. Chevy is no doubt planning an attempt to reclaim this title…
Source: Guinness World Records
Loaded Lineup: Find out more about GMC’s 2018 models