Toyota Introduces New Leadership in North America
Toyota has always been concerned with diversity, as was made apparent when it was the only automaker named to the Top 50 Companies for Diversity list by DiversityInc last spring. Now, Toyota is introducing a number of new appointments to its global leadership team, and the list of names reflects the brand’s ongoing commitment to diversity.
“Bringing together an experienced and diverse team of executives with fresh perspectives, unique regional insights and a global mindset will help us better serve customers around the world,” commented Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC). “Our new appointments also put in place a broader base of support for North America CEO Jim Lentz as he continues to build upon the strong momentum he has achieved with dealers and customers in this key market.”
Jim Lentz, current CEO, will take on the additional role of president of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc (TEMA). Additionally, the current managing officer at TMC and CEO/president of TEMA, Osamu “Simon” Nagata, will be promoted to his new roles of TMC’s senior managing officer and Toyota Motor North America, Inc. (TMA)’s executive VP and CEO.
Other appointments include the company’s first female managing officer, and first African-American managing officer. All in all, 10 executives have been promoted to new roles as Toyota plans its move from Torrance, California, to Plano, Texas. Here’s a list of the other new appointments in its entirety:
- Julie Hamp: managing officer and chief communications officer, TMC
- Christopher P. Reynolds: managing officer and general counsel/chief legal officer, TMC
- Osamu Ushio: executive vice president, TEMA
- Seiya Nakao: now reports to Jim Lentz
- Sandra Phillips: general counsel/chief legal officer, TMNA
- Scott Vazin: chief communications officer, TMNA
- Réal Tanguay: to retire effective 3/31/15, but to remain an executive advisor for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC)
- Al Hossack: president, Canadian Autoparts Toyota Inc. (CAPTIN)