Whitney Burch
No Comments

Why the Spare Tire is Becoming Obsolete

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page
car spare tire wheel small size replace jack

Photo: robmba via cc/Flickr

If you’ve recently bought or started leasing a new car, chances are you might have noticed its lack of a spare tire. Are auto makers starting to stow these bad boys in a more obscure part of the vehicle?

Nope. It turns out that this is a new industry trend that car buyers should be aware of.


via GIPHY

The New Reality

According to AAA, 28% of vehicles sold for the 2017 model year did not include spare tires. This is 36% less than the 2015 model year statistic.

Exactly why are many manufacturers ditching the spare tire? Leaving out the spare tire reduces the car’s overall weight. This, in turn, boosts fuel efficiency, which is a major priority for automakers as consumers continue to value eco-friendly rides.

 

Spare Tire Alternatives

Some companies equip their new vehicles with either a tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) or a tire inflator kit. The latter provides the driver with tools to temporarily fix the flat tire by plugging small leaks.

One downside of these kits, however, is that they have a shelf life of just 4-8 years. Chances are that your kit might expire before you experience a flat or busted tire.


New Tread: Finding new tires is easy thanks to this tool


Pressure Prowess

Since the standard spare tire is gradually becoming extinct, it’s more important than ever that drivers constantly monitor their tire pressure and general tire “health.” With cooler weather in the fall and winter, keeping your tires inflated is especially important since sharp drops in temperature can deflate your tires to a dangerously low level. Under-inflated tires are one of the top two causes of tire failure, per the NHTSA .

 

Inflation Know-How

Per the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), just 17% of drivers know how to accurately check tire pressure. If you fall into “the other 83%” category, you can still protect yourself from a flat tire.

One simple way to stay on top of your vehicle’s tire pressure is to buy a portable tire pressure gauge online or from your local auto parts store.  Many are available for less than $15.

tire pressure gauge

Whether you get a digital or manual one, a tire pressure gauge is a handy tool that makes it easy to keep your wheels properly inflated.
Photo: Scirocco ThePunisher

Even though spare tires are phasing out, along with other contemporary trends like combustion-engines, modern drivers have all the resources they need to help prevent a tire mishap in the first place. And, if all else fails, there’s always roadside assistance to call for help!


Under Pressure: Discover the basics of tire pressure


News Source: USA Today, SafeBee

  • Whitney BurchEditor

    Whitney Burch is a current resident of Dayton, though her spirit can be found beach-bumming on Puerto Rico (the land of her half-Puerto Rican heritage that she has been gifted to visit…and plans on visiting again sometime when the Future deems it practical!). When not adventuring through the exciting world of car news, she can be found hiking with her boyfriend and their growing-up-too-fast Labrador puppy, motorcycling, reorganizing and/or decorating some corner of the world (most likely in yellow), researching random things, scribbling on her blog, and escaping into a great movie, poem, or short story. See more articles by Whitney.