2016 Nissan Versa Note Overview
Autotrader probably described the Nissan Versa Note the best when it named it one of the “10 Best Cars for Recent College Graduates.” The Versa Note is compact and inexpensive (starting MSRP of $14,180), and includes a surprising number of interesting features. For this reason, Kelley Blue Book agreed with Autotrader, naming the Versa Note to three separate lists: “10 Coolest Cars Under $18,000,” “10 Tech-Savviest Cars Under $20,000,” and “Best Back-to-School Cars of 2015.”
The 2016 Nissan Versa Note comes in five trim levels: S, S Plus, SV, SR, and SL. Four total packages are available, three of which are just for the SV trim: the Fog Lights Package, SV Appearance Package, and Sport Value Package, which add a number of features like fog lights, 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, a rear roof spoiler, and variable intermittent flat-blade windshield wipers. The fourth package is the SR Tech Package (for SR models only), which adds NissanConnect™ with Navigation and Mobile Apps, and SiriusXM travel programs.
What’s New for the 2016 Nissan Versa Note?
Not very much is new for this model year–for 2016, the Versa Note gets an upgrade to its middle SV trim, adding a standard 5-inch touchscreen infotainment bundle (with Bluetooth audio, mobile-app integration, and satellite radio preparation), a rearview camera, and the Divide-n-Hide rear cargo system.
2016 Nissan Versa Note Photos:
2016 Nissan Versa Note Exterior
The exterior styling of the Nissan Versa Note focuses on energetic, sweeping lines. This is especially true of the pronounced character lines on the sides, which Nissan said are inspired by racquet sports and the trajectory of a ball in flight—that is, swift, agile, and moving purposefully toward the goal. On the front and rear, though, priority is given to aerodynamics, with drag-reducing taillights and an automatically-closing front grille (on models with the continuously variable transmission) which increase fuel economy.
2016 Nissan Versa Note Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the S
- 15-inch wheels with full covers, P185/65HR15 all-season low rolling resistance tires, Dual power outside mirrors, Multi-reflector halogen headlights, Aerodynamic taillights
Exterior available on the S Plus
- Active grille shutter
Exterior available on the SV
- Same as on the S Plus
Exterior available on the SR
- 16 x 6.0-inch 5-split spoke aluminum-alloy wheels, Sport fascias, side sills, spoiler, Sport grille, smoked headlights, Outside mirrors with LED turn signals, Variable intermittent flat-blade windshield wipers
Exterior available on the SL
- Dual power heated outside mirrors, 16 x 6.0-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
2016 Nissan Versa Note Performance
Each 2016 Versa Note is powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, with all but the lowest trim coupled to a continuously variable transmission (the S trim uses a five-speed manual transmission) to produce 109 hp and 107 lb-ft of torque. Using a CVT model, Edmunds found that the Versa Note could go from 0 to 60 in 10.4 seconds.
2016 Nissan Versa Note Efficiency
For most trim levels (using a continuously variable transmission), the 2016 Versa Note receives an impressive 31 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. On the intro S trim (which uses a five-speed manual transmission) these figures drop somewhat to 27 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.
2016 Nissan Versa Note Interior
The Versa Note’s interior is designed for versatility, providing 94.1 cubic feet of total passenger space (enough to seat five comfortably), with folding rear seats that can expand cargo room to 38.3 cubic feet and a Divide-n-Hide storage system which allows you to lift or lower the trunk’s floor to create an extra out-of-sight cargo space (or allow for taller loads).
2016 Nissan Versa Note Interior Photos:
Interior available on the S
- Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, Air conditioning, Fine Vision electroluminescent gauges, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats
- AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack
Interior available on the S Plus
- Same as on the S
Interior available on the SV
- Power windows and door locks, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Divide-N-Hide® Adjustable Floor, Integrated Key with Remote keyless entry, Upgraded Fine Vision electroluminescent gauges with trip computer and outside temp display, Power door locks with auto-locking feature, Power windows with driver’s one-touch auto-down feature, Six-way manual driver’s seat, Driver’s seat armrest, Upgraded cloth seat trim, Cloth door trim accent, Silver accents shift knob and shifter surround, Chrome inside door handles, chrome-accented center vents and parking brake, Tricot fabric headliner
- Premium AM/FM/CD audio system with 5.0-inch color display, RearView Monitor, USB connection port for iPod® interface and other compatible devices, Hands-free text messaging assistant, Cruise control
Interior available on the SR
- Z-inspired leather-wrapped sport steering wheel, Upgraded Fine Vision electroluminescent gauges, Premium sport synthetic suede seat trim with orange accents and stitching, Rear cup holders in rear-seat center armrest
Interior available on the SL
- Around View® Monitor, Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition, Heated front seats, Upgraded cloth seat trim
- NissanConnect℠ with Navigation and Mobile Apps, SiriusXM Traffic, SiriusXM Travel Link
2016 Nissan Versa Note Safety
The 2016 Nissan Versa Note comes with the safety features that we have all come to expect—antilock brakes (discs on the front, drums on the back), traction control, and stability control, as well as airbags. In addition, side curtain airbags come standard, as does a rearview camera in SV, SR, and SL models. The NHTSA awarded the Nissan Versa Note four out of five stars for safety, with the Versa Note performing most strongly in side collisions.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren),
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Emergency Road Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags for front- and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- Driver and front-passenger seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat-belt and occupant-classification sensors