2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Overview
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage is a subcompact designed to fill the “what new car can I buy for the least amount of money?” category. For less than $15,000, you get five seats, very good gas mileage, Mitsubishi’s excellent 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, and even some surprising convenience options like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. That makes the Mirage a fairly good choice for drivers on a budget—or parents looking to buy a cheap, not-powerful car for their teen driver.
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage is available in three trims: ES, SE, and GT.
Related: Mitsubishi Mirage in the spotlight
What’s New for the 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage?
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage gains a touchscreen audio system on the base trim and a rearview camera. The SE and GT trims gain a driver’s seat armrest.
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Exterior
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage is about as small as a car can get without truly compromising on interior space. Its dimensions give it a cute, almost bubbly look, but for all of Mitsubishi’s efforts to add chrome accents and detailing, the Mirage is unlikely to impress those for whom the ideal car is a low-down, muscular coupe. The car is meant to be one of the most affordable ways you can get around on four wheels and it looks the part; that being said, given the circumstances, you could do a lot worse than this charming little car full of personality.
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage is available in the following exterior colors: Starlight Silver, Infrared, Mercury Gray, Sapphire Blue, Pearl White, Mystic Black, Sunrise Orange, Wine Red.
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on ES:
- 14-inch steel wheels with covers, 165/65R14 front and rear tires, Temporary spare tire, Halogen headlights, LED rear combination taillights, High mount rear stop light, Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, Color-keyed power side-view mirrors, Chrome grille accents, Rear spoiler, Front windshield variable intermittent wipers, Rear window intermittent wiper and washer with defroster
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- 14-inch alloy wheels, Fog lights, Side-view mirrors with turn indicators
Exterior available on GT (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- 15-inch alloy wheels, 175/55R15 front and rear tires, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Performance
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage is powered by a 1.3-liter inline three-cylinder engine that produces 78 horsepower and 74 lb-ft of torque. As you might have garnered from those numbers, the Mirage doesn’t pack the mightiest punch. Fortunately, it’s also not very heavy, which means it doesn’t need a whole lot of power to get moving. Thanks to its small size, the Mirage is also very nimble and agile, making it an ideal car for commuting in the city.
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Efficiency
What the 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage lacks in power it more than makes up in fuel economy. With up to 35 mpg in the city and 42 mpg on the highway, the Mitsubishi Mirage is the most fuel-efficient gas-powered, non-hybrid car you can buy. That makes its already good value proposition even better for those looking for a ride on a tight budget: when you buy a Mirage, you save money on the price tag and on gas in the years to come.
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Interior
That a driver’s elbow rest was only added for the 2018 model year tells you all you need to know about the overall comfort and design of the Mitsubishi Mirage’s interior: as far as material quality and layout goes, it is a very simple car. However, it also offers a surprising amount of convenience features for its pricepoint, such as a rearview camera, Bluetooth connectivity, and a new 7-inch touchscreen audio system—and that’s just on the base trim. If you upgrade to the 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage ES or GT, you can get decent heated seats, some leather touches and even Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Not bad for a sub-$15,000 car.
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Interior Photos:
Interior available on ES:
- Features: Four-way adjustable driver and front passenger seat, Split folding rear seats, Chrome accented HVAC panel, Urethane steering wheel, Tilt steering wheel, Gloss black center panel, Material-color inner door handles, Driver and passenger sun visors with driver’s side mirror and ticket holder, Remote hood and fuel door release levers, Air conditioning system with micron air filtration, Rear heated floor ducts, Remote keyless entry with panic feature, 12-volt power outlet
- Radio and Technology: 7.0-inch Touch panel display audio system, Rearview camera, Four speakers, AM/FM audio system, Digital HD Radio®, Bluetooth® wireless technology, USB port, ECO indicator light, Steering wheel audio and phone controls
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- Features: Semi-hi contrast meter with chrome accent, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Driver’s seat armrest, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Gloss black shift panel, Gloss black door panel accents, Chrome-plated front inner door handles, Automatic climate control
- Radio and Technology: 6.5-inch Smartphone Link Display Audio System, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility, AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system, Steering wheel voice controls, FAST-Key passive entry system with push button start and panic feature, Cruise control
Interior available on GT (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Features: Heated front seats
2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Safety
The 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage received four out of five stars for overall safety based on crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It has yet to be tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for the 2018 model year, though the 2017 model received the highest possible score of “good” in all crashworthiness evaluations other than the difficult small overlap front test. As subcompact car safety goes, the Mitsubishi Mirage rates fairly well.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Hill Start Assist (HAS)
- Active Stability Control (ASC)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Side curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Advanced dual-stage SRS front airbags
- Three-point seatbelts for all seating positions
- Adjustable front shoulder belts with pretensioners
- LATCH child-restraint system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
- RISE body construction