10 Fun Car Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
Every Tuesday, I go to a pub quiz at my local drinking hole. And every Tuesday, without fail, I go home completely baffled by the quiz master’s random questions. Do you know what the world record is for the furthest toss of a Wellington boot? Yeah. Me neither. If you want to bulk up your trivia knowledge to prepare yourself for your next weekly battle with the quiz master, then make sure you check out these 10 car facts you probably didn’t know!
[wptab name=’Stink-Free Transportation’]
1. Cars were seen as the “green” alternative of transportation in the early 20th century because horses were causing so much pollution with their poop.
Something smells a bit stinky about this fact…
[wptab name=’Picnic-Ready CR-V’]
2. The Honda CR-V originally came with a picnic table.
Because Honda really knows how to pile on those must-have features.
[wptab name=’The Machine Crusher’]
3. The Ford GT broke the crushing machine used in the “roof crush” safety test because it’s so strong.
FORD GT SMASH!
[wptab name=’Dirty Laws’]
4. In Russia, it’s a criminal offense to drive around in a dirty car.
Even when the dirt is as pretty as a picture.
[wptab name=’True Vehicle Longevity’]
5. 75% of cars that Rolls-Royce has ever produced are still on the road today.
They should call it Olds-Royce… LOLZ
[wptab name=’To the Moon!’]
6. If you want to travel to the moon, it would take less than 6 months if you drive at 60 mph.
To the moon, Alice! To the moon!
[wptab name=’Fresh-Smelling Fact’]
7. The “new car smell” is composed of over 50 volatile organic compounds—none of which are toxic.
New car smell won’t kill you! Yay!
[wptab name=’Terrible Drivers’]
8. The first car accident occurred in 1891 in Ohio.
And Ohio drivers still don’t know how to drive…
[wptab name=’Year-Long Traffic Jams’]
9. The average American spends about 38 hours a year stuck in traffic.
So make sure you know how to deal with traffic stress!
[wptab name=’Cars Are Taking Over’]
10. In Los Angeles, there are more cars than people.
And I’m sure there are more face lifts than cars… but don’t quote me on that!
A born-and-raised Jersey girl, Caitlin Moran has somehow found herself settled in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she’s not spending her days trying to remember which side of the road to drive on, Caitlin enjoys getting down and nerdy with English. She continues to combine her love of writing with her love of cars for The News Wheel, while also learning more about the European car market—including the fact that the Seat brand is pronounced “se-at” not “seat” as you might think. See more articles by Caitlin.