2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Overview
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander is a seven-passenger SUV with proven off-road credentials, a cabin full of useful features, and a peace-of-mind-inducing 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty that matches Kia‘s for the best in the industry. Despite being one of the least known of the SUVs in its class compared to the Honda CR-V or the Nissan Rogue, it remains one of the most competent and, importantly, also one of the most affordable. So if you’re looking for an SUV that will comfortably accommodate seven people and all of their stuff and fit in your budget, it’s hard to go wrong with the Mitsubishi Outlander.
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander is offered in four trim levels: ES, SE, SEL, and GT 3.0 S-AWC.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander?
For the 2017 model year, the Mitsubishi Outlander gets the previously-optional rearview camera and 6.1-inch touchscreen as standard equipment across the lineup as well as new optional features like a heated steering wheel, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, automatic high beams, and a 360-degree camera system. Also new for 2017 is a simplified AWD system on the ES trim, which was previously only offered with FWD.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Exterior
Not much about the Mitsubishi Outlander’s exterior has changed for 2017, as the 2016 model year’s makeover carries over with its aggressive nose and rear look, highlighted by Mitsubishi‘s new signature “Dynamic Shield” grille that definitely makes the SUV stand out among the competition, for better or worse depending on your tastes. On the other hand, there’s plenty to unanimously love about some of the exterior features, like the windshield-wiper de-icer that makes trudging through cold, snowy mornings that much easier, or the power-folding side mirrors that make the Mitsubishi Outlander feel more upscale than its price tag would suggest.
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander is offered with seven available exterior colors: Cool Silver, Rally Red, Cosmic Blue, Diamond White, Labrador White, Quartz Brown, and Mercury Gray.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on ES:
- Auto-off halogen headlights, LED positioning lights, Heated power-adjustable side-view mirrors, LED rear combination tail lights, Color-keyed front bumper with silver accent, Color-keyed rear bumper with silver accent, Color-keyed outer door handles, Front grille with silver accents, Roof carrier plug-in accommodation, Shark fin antenna, Front windshield variable intermittent wipers, Rear window intermittent wiper/washer with defroster, 18-inch two-tone alloy wheels, Wheel arch moldings, Aero wiper blades, Rear privacy glass, Temporary spare tire
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- Fog lights with chrome accents, Color-keyed power side-view mirrors with turn indicators
Exterior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Auto-on/off headlights, Power folding side-view mirrors, Chrome beltline molding, Front windshield rain-sensing wipers, Silver roof rails
Exterior available on GT 3.0 S-AWC (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- LED headlights, LED fog lights, Power glass sunroof, Windshield wiper de-icer
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Performance
All 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander models but the GT are powered by a 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engine that makes 166 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. The four-cylinder is mated to a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT), runs on regular unleaded gas, and has a towing capacity of 1,500 pounds. Power is sent to the front wheels by default and optionally to all four wheels via Mitsubishi’s All Wheel Control (AWC) technology. The base ES trim gets regular AWC while the SE and SEL get Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC).
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander GT is offered only with S-AWC and is powered by a 3.0-liter V6 that makes 224 horsepower and 215 lb-ft of torque. It is mated to a six-speed automatic, uses premium gasoline, and has a towing capacity of up to 3,500 pounds.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Efficiency
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander gets 25 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 27 mpg combined when equipped with the 2.4-liter and FWD. Upgrading to AWD brings the numbers down a notch to 24 mpg city, 29 mpg highway, and 26 mpg combined. The GT model with the 3.0-liter V6 and S-AWC gets 20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, and 23 mpg combined.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Interior
Comfort is clearly a major focus of the 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander, which features a nicely-designed and attractively-finished interior with easy-to-use controls, comfy seats, and tasteful accents and quality materials you would expect in more premium vehicles. There’s 63 cubic feet of cargo space in the rear if you fold down the second and third row, which is easy to do thanks to a convenient system of straps and levers. There are also lots of features even at the lowest trim level, including a 6.1-inch touchscreen display with an integrated rearview camera. Spending a little extra to unlock the higher trims gets you luxury features like a Rockford-Fosgate® premium sound system and heated leather seats at great value.
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Interior Photos:
Interior available on ES:
- Features: Color multi-information display, High-contrast meter gauge cluster, Gloss black instrument panel, Rear cargo area light, ECO indicator light, Seven-passenger seating, Fabric seating surfaces, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, Second row 60/40 split fold-down rear seats with independent slide and reclining adjustments, 50/50 third row flat fold-down feature, Front dual-zone automatic climate control, Micron air filtration, Rear heater floor ducts, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Gloss black shifter panel, Tilt and telescopic steering wheel, Chrome-plated inner door handle, Soft-touch upper instrument panel and door trim, Silver-painted accent panels, Three 12-volt accessory outlets, Underfloor cargo area storage, Cargo tie-down utility hooks
- Radio and Technology: 6.1-inch touchscreen display with rearview camera, USB port, Digital HD Radio, Hands-free Link System with Bluetooth technology and steering wheel controls, Rearview camera system, Remote keyless entry with panic feature
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on ES):
- Features: Heated front seats
- Radio and Technology: 7.0-inch Smartphone Link Display Audio System with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Dual USB ports, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3-month subscription, FAST-Key passive entry system with push-button start
Interior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Features: Leather seating surfaces, Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped door and armrest and trim panel insert, Gloss black-line accent panels
- Radio and Technology: Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink universal garage door opener
Interior available on GT 3.0 S-AWC (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- Features: Drive mode selector
- Radio and Technology: 710-watt Rockford-Fosgate® premium sound system with nine speaker
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander Safety
The 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander has earned top marks for overall safety in government crash tests by the NHTSA and earned the IIHS’s coveted Top Safety Pick+ award. Standard protection includes all fo the usual features you’d expect, ranging from anti-lock disc brakes to numerous airbags, as listed below. Optional electronic safety features include blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, forward collision mitigation with automatic braking, rear cross-traffic alert, and a 360-degree camera.
Standard Safety Features
- Hill Start Assist
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
- Active Stability Control (ASC)
- Traction Control Logic
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Seven standard airbags including drivers knee airbag, Front seat-mounted side airbags, and Advanced dual-stage SRS front airbags
- Three-point seatbelts and head restraints for all seating positions
- Height adjustable front shoulder belts with pretensioner
- LATCH child-restraint system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Anti-theft security alarm system
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
- RISE body construction