2018 Toyota Yaris Overview
The 2018 Toyota Yaris is an inexpensive three- or five-door subcompact hatchback that makes many compelling arguments when compared to its primary competition, such as the Honda Fit or Nissan Versa. Not only is it among the most stylish subcompacts available on the market, it also boasts a very low cost of ownership, strong resale value, two years of complimentary maintenance, good overall practicality, and a whole suite of safety technologies that none of its rivals offer. As affordable subcompacts go, it’s a bit of a no-brainer.
The 2018 Toyota Yaris is available in three trims: L, LE, and SE. All trims are available as three-door and five-door models except for the SE, which is available in five-door form only.
In Even More Detail: 2018 Toyota Yaris features breakdown
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Toyota Yaris?
The 2018 Toyota Yaris is relatively unchanged for the new model year, with only some minor exterior and interior visual tune-ups of note.
2018 Toyota Yaris Exterior
The 2018 Toyota Yaris boasts the same small dimensions whether in three-door or five-door form, so unless you are expecting regular passengers in your rear seat and value better access to it, you will probably be better off choosing the sportier three-door model. For 2018, the Toyota Yaris gets a new upturned nose that meshes well with the car’s tidy proportions and low-to-the-ground stance. With the two-tone paint choices in particular, the Toyota Yaris proves to be an especially stylish hatchback.
The 2018 Toyota Yaris is available in the following exterior colors: Super White, Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Ruby Flare Pearl, and Blue Eclipse Metallic. It is also available in two-tone Ruby Flare Pearl/Black Sand Pearl and Blue Eclipse Metallic/Black Sand Pearl.
2018 Toyota Yaris Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on L:
- Multi-reflector halogen headlights with chrome accents, Daytime running lights (DRL), Bold front fascia and grille with chrome accent, Color-keyed outside door handles, 15-inch styled steel wheels, Intermittent single-pantograph wet-arm windshield wiper, Rear window wiper and defogger, Roof-mounted antenna
Exterior available on LE (adds to or replaces features on L):
- 15-inch machined alloy wheels
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Rear spoiler, 16-inch machine alloy wheels with dark accents, Sport front fascia and grille with chrome accent
2018 Toyota Yaris Performance
All 2018 Toyota Yaris models are powered by a 1.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine that makes 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque. Power is set to the front wheels via a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission, making the Toyota Yaris feel a little dated compared to the more common six-speed automatics of the day. Still, the little car makes the most out of its powertrain, helped significantly by a very low curb weight (on par with the lightweight Mazda MX-5 roadster).
2018 Toyota Yaris Efficiency
Most modern cars use turbochargers or transmissions with a million speeds to get the best fuel economy, but the 2018 Toyota Yaris, with its tiny engine and lightweight body, requires no fancy tools to achieve good efficiency metrics. It gets an EPA-estimated 30/36/33 MPG City/Highway/Combined with the five-speed manual and 30/35/32 MPG City/Highway/Combined with the four-speed automatic.* Note that it remains one of the few modern cars to get better mileage with the manual rather than with the automatic transmission.
*EPA mileage estimate. Actual mileage will vary.
2018 Toyota Yaris Interior
For a car with such a low starting price, the 2018 Toyota Yaris’ interior feels remarkably plush. The Japanese automaker has evidently gone to great lengths to make the Yaris feel grandiose, with many surfaces featuring a soft-touch finish and a clean dashboard design that perfectly integrates the Entune infotainment system. The front seats are decently comfortable and there’s a good amount of room in the cargo area, but any adult-sized passenger is going to feel cramped in the rear seat regardless of model.
2018 Toyota Yaris Interior Photos:
Interior available on L:
- Features: Air conditioning with air filter, Fabric-trimmed front seats, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, Tilt 3-spoke steering wheel with audio controls, Power windows with driver-side auto down, Power door locks with illuminated entry, Day/night rearview mirror, Front seat maplights, Cargo area light, Cargo area tonneau cover
- Radio and Technology: EntuneTM Audio, which includes Entune Multimedia Bundle (6.1-inch touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port, with iPod® connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology), Siri ® Eyes Free, Integrated backup camera display with projected path, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet
Interior available on LE (adds to or replaces features on L):
- Features: Sport analog instrumentation with speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge, LCD display with odometer, tripmeters, clock, outside temperature, current/average fuel economy, distance to empty, average speed and shift position; ECO Driving Indicator and warning messages
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Features: Sport fabric-trimmed front seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, Leather-trimmed tilt three-spoke sport steering wheel with audio controls, Leather-trimmed shift lever
- Radio and Technology: EntuneTM Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, which includes EntuneTM Multimedia Bundle (seven-inch high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM tuner, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with IPod connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, hands-free capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology), Connected Navigation Scout® GPS Link App, Gracenote® album cover art, HD RadioTM Technology, HD RadioTM Traffic and Weather in major metro areas
2018 Toyota Yaris Safety
The 2018 Toyota Yaris has earned the highest possible five-star score for overall safety in crash testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Though the 2018 model has yet to be tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2017 model earned the highest score of “good” in all of its crashworthiness evaluations, bar the difficult small overlap front crash test, for which it received a “moderate” grade.
The Toyota Yaris is notable for being equipped with standard Toyota Safety Sense C technology, a suite of high-tech collision avoidance systems including Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Alert, and Automatic High Beams.
Standard Safety Features
- Toyota Safety SenseTM C (TSS-C)
- Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- Traction Control (TRAC)
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Nine airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
New Kid on the Block: Check out the 2018 Toyota C-HR