Cheapest Vehicles to Insure
Having a car is a necessary (sometimes costly) facet of life for many Americans. Whether you own a sedan, SUV, van, or something in between, car ownership consists of a multitude of expenses like maintenance, repairs, and gas. Car insurance is another fee that vehicle owners pay, either on a monthly or yearly basis.
A variety of dynamics determine the annual cost you can expect to pay for insuring your vehicle:
- Which state you live in can impact your insurance rate. Current statistics indicate that Maine is the cheapest state to insure a car in, while Michigan ranks most expensive.
- Traffic tickets and bad credit can also drive up your auto insurance fees.
- Individuals with higher education can often receive a lower insurance rate. According to research from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), drivers with more education tend to be in fewer car accidents.
- Insurance companies often give discounted auto insurance to married individuals. Per the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), research indicates that married drivers are in fewer collisions than single drivers.
Another component that impacts car insurance rate is your vehicle’s make and model. A lack of ignorance on this topic can significantly drive up your insurance fees, especially if you’re in the process of buying your next ride. Here are the top 10 cheapest vehicles to insure along with their average annual insurance cost:
1. Honda Odyssey; $1,112
2. Jeep Renegade Sport 2WD; $1,138
3. Jeep Wrangler Black Bear 4WD; $1,148
4. Honda CR-V; $1,170
5. Jeep Compass 2WD; $1,183
6. Subaru Outback 2.5L AWD; $1,187
7. Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD; $1,188
8. Buick Encore 2WD; $1,190
9. Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD; $1,190
10. Subaru Forester 2.5i AWD; $1,196
Whitney Burch is a current resident of Dayton, though her spirit can be found beach-bumming on Puerto Rico (the land of her half-Puerto Rican heritage). When not adventuring through the exciting world of car news, she can be found hiking with her fiance and their 1-year-old Labrador, motorcycling, reorganizing and/or decorating some corner of the world (most likely in yellow), researching random things, scribbling on her blog, and escaping into a great movie, poem, or short story. See more articles by Whitney.