2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Overview
Once again, Toyota is proving that it hasn’t lost sight of the Land Cruiser’s originally purpose. More than 60 years after the original Land Cruiser was launched, the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser proudly continues to carry the off-roading torch in lands yet unexplored. It’s more comfortable, better-looking, and more capable than ever, making it a strong competitor to the likes of the Range Rover or the GL-Class. However, you could make the argument that the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is in a class of its own.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser?
After receiving a thorough makeover last year, the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is mostly unchanged except for some additional standard features, like heavy-duty mudguards and skid plates, which explain the starting MSRP increase to $84,325 (up $1,000). It comes in a single trim with the following available colors: Blue Onyx Pearl, Brandywine Mica, Midnight Black Metallic, Blizzard Pearl, Classic Silver Metallic, and Magnetic Gray Metallic.
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Exterior
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser maintains its rugged, macho look without appearing as though it’s overdoing it. The three-bar grille is adorned with chrome surrounds and extends to the LED headlights for a cool effect, similarly to the full-width chrome piece at the rear that extends into the LED taillights. The hood’s two bulges make the Land Cruiser seem even more menacing and powerful, and as always, the roof rails and side steps are all still there. Overall, this edition of the Land Cruiser is a head-turner, and for all the good reasons.
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Exterior Photos:
- LED projector-beam headlight (low & high), LED Daytime Running Lights, front-bumper LED fog lights, LED accent lighting, LED stop lights with Land Cruiser logo, Power tilt/slide moonroof, 18-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, Rain-sensing windshield wipers with de-icer, Privacy glass on windows, Color-keyed rear spoiler, Aluminum running boards, Frame-mounted tow hooks, Heavy-duty mudguards, Skid plates, Roof rack, Side-body chrome moldings with Land Cruiser logo
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Performance
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is powered by a hefty 5.7-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 engine that makes 381 horsepower and 401 lb-ft of torque. Technologies like Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-i) and Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) help the SUV maximize power throughout the RPM range, allowing it to to up to 8,500 pounds when properly equipped. Throw in a reinforced skid plate at the bottom of the vehicle, a Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, a Torsen limited-slip differential, Crawl Control technology, and a high-tensile steel ladder frame to hold it all together, and you’ve got yourself one of the most capable SUVs on the planet.
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Efficiency
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser’s eight-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) is more focused on giving it the best possible performance in a variety of driving conditions than on returning the best fuel economy. As a result, it gets 13 mpg in the city, 18 mpg on the highway, and 15 mpg combined. It’s not much, but who buys a Land Cruiser for the efficiency?
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Interior
The interior of the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is spacious enough for eight while still leaving a decent amount of room for cargo behind the third row. For such a rugged vehicle, the Land Cruiser is surprisingly comfortable and quiet. The quantity and quality of leather trimming and sound deadening is on par with the best luxury vehicles, as is the technology, which includes the Entune App Suite, integrated navigation, and 14 speakers with the Premium JBL Audio system. The interior of a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is certainly not a bad place to be.
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Interior Photos:
- Features: Four-zone automatic climate control, 8-passenger seating with semi-aniline leather-trimmed seating surfaces, heated/ventilated front seats, 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, 40/20/40-split sliding second-row seat, 50/50-split fold-down third-row seat, Leather-trimmed heated power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, Power windows & door locks, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, LED accent lights and illumination, 12 cup holders
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium JBL Audio with Integrated Navigation & App Suite, 9-inch touchscreen with split-screen with backup camera, AM/FM CD player, 14 JBL speakers, SiriusXM All Access Radio with 3-month subscription, HD Radio, USB port with iPod controls, Bluetooth wireless technology, Hands-free phone capability with voice recognition and phone book access, Siri® Eyes Free, Enhanced Multi-terrain Monitor, Rear-seat DVD entertainment system, Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Smart Key System, Two 12V power outlets, Optitron instrumentation display with backlighting
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Safety
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser comes with all of the usual passive safety features like anti-lock brakes, traction control, and stability control, as well as a plethora of airbags. Also standard is a rearview camera and various active safety technologies like blind spot monitoring and rear-cross traffic alert. In addition, side-impact steel door beams provide extra occupant protection when the vehicle is struck from the side by absorbing energy and reducing the chance of intrusion in the cabin.
Standard Safety Features
- Toyota Safety Sense: Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert, Auto High Beams, & Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Star Safety System: Vehicle Stability Control, Active Traction Control, Anti-lock brakes, Brake Assist, Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Safety Connect: Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance with Automatic Collision Notification subscription
- 10 airbags
- Driver and front passenger active headrests
- Driver and front passenger Active Seatbelt Pretensioning System
- Adjustable seatbelt anchors
- Child-protector rear door locks and power window locks
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Parking assist sonar
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Trailer-Sway Control
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Anti-theft system with engine immobilizer
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child-seat restraints