2018 Chevrolet Equinox Overview
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is a fresh challenger in the ultra-competitive and saturated compact crossover SUV segment, where it will have to battle against the likes of the Toyota RAV4 and Mazda CX-5 for supremacy. Fortunately for the Chevy Equinox, it has what it takes to win the fight on most fronts, particularly when it comes to engine performance and interior amenities.
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is available in four trims: L, LS, LT, and Premier.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox?
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is totally redesigned for the 2018 model year. It rides on an all-new architecture that is both smaller and lighter but doesn’t compromise interior space.
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Exterior
The Chevrolet Equinox, though never forgettable, was never the most visually engaging vehicle in its class. The 2018 model changes this with a daring new look highlighted by sharp lines and tasteful chrome accents as well as what we would deem one of the best executions of Chevrolet’s signature grille. Add to that the perfect proportions and available Redline package, which adds black-out trim and sporty touches, and the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is no doubt among the most eye-catching vehicles on the road today for all the right reasons.
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is available in the following exterior colors: Summit White, Silver Ice Metallic, Orange Burst Metallic, Nightfall Gray Metallic, Mosaic Black Metallic, Cajun Red Tintcoat, Pepperdust Metallic, Satin Steel Metallic, Storm Blue Metallic, Sandy Ridge Metallic, Iridescent Pearl Tricoat, and Ivy Metallic.
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on L:
- LED daytime running lamps, 17-inch aluminum wheels, Active aero shutters, Black lower window trim, Black mirror caps, Body-color door handles, Halogen headlamps, Headlamp control, Manual rear liftgate, Outside heated power-adjustable mirrors
Exterior available on LS (adds to or replaces features on L):
- 16-inch steel spare tire, 16-inch compact spare tire
Exterior available on LT (adds to or replaces features on LS):
- Body-color mirror caps, Bright lower window trim, Deep-tinted rear glass, HID headlamps, Roof-mounted luggage carrier provisions
Exterior available on Premier (adds to or replaces features on LT):
- Front fog lamps, Hands-free gesture liftgate, 18-inch all-season blackwall tires, 18-inch aluminum wheels, Body-color door handles with chrome strip, Chrome mirror caps, Chrome roof-mounted side rails, Front fog lamps, LED headlamps, LED tail lamps, Outside heated auto-dimming power-adjustable body-color mirrors with turn signal indicators, Heated driver and front passenger seats
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Performance
Every 2018 Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine that makes 170 horsepower and 203 lb-ft of torque. Those are surprisingly good numbers for such a little engine, giving the car good acceleration via the standard six-speed automatic transmission.
Later this summer, Chevrolet will add two powertrain options to the 2018 Equinox: a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 252 horsepower and a nine-speed automatic, and a 1.6-liter four-cylinder diesel with 236 lb-ft of torque and a six-speed automatic.
All trims come with standard front-wheel drive (FWD). All but the base trim are also available with all-wheel drive (AWD).
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Efficiency
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox gets an EPA-estimated 26 mpg in the city, 32 mpg on the highway, and 28 mpg combined when equipped with FWD. With AWD, mileage is slightly reduced to 24/30/26 mpg city/highway/combined. According to General Motors, the diesel coming later this summer should offer 40 mpg on the highway, which would put it at the top of its class.
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Interior
Despite the shorter platform, the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox has managed to preserve just about all of the interior space offered by its predecessors. That has hurt cargo space a little but this is fortunately mitigated by the addition of a new under-floor storage compartment.
While you won’t notice any difference in headroom or legroom, you’ll definitely notice the difference in refinement. The Chevrolet Equinox now boasts more soft-touch surfaces and standard amenities than ever, active noise cancellation and a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. Options include heated rear seats, unusual in this class, and premier leather seating.
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Interior Photos:
Interior available on L:
- Features: 12-volt auxiliary cargo area power outlet, 12-volt auxiliary front power outlet, 12-volt auxiliary second row power outlet, Two-way adjustable front head restraints, three-spoke steering wheel, Inside rearview manual day/night mirror, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Steering wheel controls
- Radio and Technology: Bluetooth® for phone and audio streaming, Six-speaker system, Chevrolet MyLink ® audio system with seven-inch diagonal color-touch screen, Cruise control, Keyless open, Keyless start, OnStar® with 4G LTE Wi-Fi, USB single port located in center stack storage bin
Interior available on LS (adds to or replaces features on L):
- Features: Rear carpeted floor mats
Interior available on LT (adds to or replaces features on LS):
- Features: Eight-way power driver seat adjuster, Rear seat release levers, Leather-wrapped shift lever, Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Radio and Technology: SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Interior available on Premier (adds to or replaces features on LT):
- Features: 120-volt power outlet, Three-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Radio and Technology: Side Blind Spot Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Rear Park Assist, Driver Confidence Package, Chevrolet MyLink® audio system with eight-inch diagonal color touch screen, Dual-zone automatic air conditioning, Memory settings for outside rearview mirrors and driver seat position, Multi-color driver information display, Remote start, USB dual charging-ports located in front console bin, USB dual ports located in center stack storage bin, Universal home remote, Wireless charging
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Safety
The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox has yet to be crash-tested by either the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In addition to all of the standard safety features listed below, the SUV also comes with several active safety technologies, including collision mitigation and lane-keeping assist. This is one of the Chevrolet Equinox’s few blemishes, as these safety features and others tend to come standard on the competition.
Standard Safety Features
- Rear vision camera
- Dual-stage frontal airbags for the driver and front passenger with Passenger Sensing System
- Thorax seat-mounted side-impact airbags for the driver and front passenger
- Head curtain side-impact airbags for the front and rear outboard seating positions
- Child security rear door locks
- OnStar Guidance Plan Limited Trial Service
- OnStar Automatic Crash Response
- OnStar Crisis Assist
- OnStar Emergency Services
- OnStar Hands Free Calling
- OnStar Roadside Assistance
- StabiliTrak ®
- Teen Driver program
- Tire pressure monitor
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.