10 Steps to Buying a Used Car
Edmunds.com is a leading authority in the automotive industry and has constructed to list of 10 steps to buying a used car that will help you feel more confident.
- Reason to Buy Used – They’re cheaper. You can purchase a car that is only a couple of years old for a significantly reduced price; simply because some else drove it first.
- Choose the Right Car – Assess your needs and pick the right vehicle for you. Quit looking at sports cars if you have three kids that need to get to soccer practice.
- Buy Second-Tier Cars and Save Money – Don’t by the most popular SUV. Look further down the list and save some cash on a vehicle that not everyone else wants.
- Research Your Desired Used Car – There is almost limitless information on your car online, use it.
- How Much Can You Afford – Take a good, hard look at your monthly budget and figure out what kind of payment you can afford. This will give you of how old a vehicle you should be looking for.
- Set Up Financing – If you can pay cash, great, but chances are you’ll need to finance. Credit Unions can offer very competitive financing rates.
- Where to Shop – Buying from a private seller generally offers the best prices, but dealerships can offer more perks, like warranties and service plans.
- Test-Driving a Used Car – Play close attention during your test drive. Look and listen for anything that seems “off” or “weird,” and do not be afraid to ask questions.
- Negotiate – Prices of used cars are not set in stone, so don’t hesitate to throw out counter offers.
- Close the Deal – Make sure your financing is final and you have insurance for the car before you drive it off the lot.
Check out Edmunds.com’s full list for a more in-depth look at the used car buying process.
- Tim ShultsContributor
Tim Shults is the President of the Shults Auto Group. In his spare time he likes to play golf and spend time with his four daughters. Shults Auto Group is the largest auto group in the Southern tier. With over 400 employees, Shults Auto Group has 11 different dealerships carrying 15 different makes and 2 strictly used car stores, Shults Toyota, Ed Shults Chevrolet Cadillac, Shults Chevrolet of Westfield, Edmond Chevrolet Buick GMC, Ed Shults Ford Lincoln of Jamestown, Kia of Jamestown, Ed Shults Subaru of Warren, Shults Hyundai, Ed Shults Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Warren, Shults Resale, Shults Resale Olean, and Shults Nissan.