2016 Buick Encore Overview
The 2016 Buick Encore is one of the hottest vehicles in the crossover segment, and it has been Buick’s heaviest hitter going on two years now. After the success of the 2015 model year, Buick opted not to fix too much of what wasn’t broken, instead adding a new trim and some new aesthetic wrinkles to improve the Encore for 2016.
What’s New for the 2016 Buick Encore?
There are few additions to the 2016 Encore. They include the all-new Sport Touring trim, which features a more powerful engine; three new exterior colors, including River Rock Metallic, Graphic Gray Metallic, and Summit White; and an upgraded 18-inch, seven-spoke “Ultra-Bright” wheel finish.
2016 Buick Encore Exterior
The 2016 Encore’s exterior is unchanged from the previous model year, which means that it is no less a stylish and eye-catching vehicle. The hallmark touches return once again, including the Buick waterfall grille, chrome accents and surrounds, portholes on the hood, and painted lower panels. The 2016 Buick Encore is available in nine different colors: Quicksilver Metallic, Graphite Gray Metallic, Carbon Black Metallic, Summit White, Winterberry Red Metallic and Coastal Blue Metallic (with Dark Argent Metallic lower accent); River Rock Metallic and Rosewood Metallic (with Dark Cocoa Ash lower accent); and White Pearl Tricoat (Satin Nickel Metallic accent).
2016 Buick Encore Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Encore Group:
- 18-inch, five-spoke painted cast aluminum wheels; Compact 16-inch spare tire under cargo floor, Roof-mounted luggage rack; Solar absorbing windshield; Halogen composite projector beam headlamps; Body-color, manual-folding, and heated outside mirrors with turn signal indicators; Body-color door handles with chrome stripsl Front intermittent wipers with pulse washers; Rear intermittent wiper
Exterior available on Convenience Group (additions/replacements to Encore Group):
- Fog lamps
Exterior available on Sport Touring Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Body color door handles, Sport rear spoiler, 18-inch Midnight silver finish Aluminum Alloy wheels
Exterior available on Leather Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Unchanged from Convenience Group
Exterior available on Premium Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Rainsense wipers
2016 Buick Encore Performance
The core powertrain of the 2016 Buick Encore is the ECOTEC Turbo 1.4-liter Variable Valve Timing DOHC four-cylinder, which returns with 138 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque. The Sport Touring model is powered by ostensibly the same engine, but it is tuned to produce 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque.
2016 Buick Encore Efficiency
The 2016 Buick Encore’s fuel economy is unchanged from 2015. Front-wheel-drive models return 25 mpg city/33 mpg highway/28 mpg combined, while all-wheel-drive models return 23 mpg city/30 mpg highway/26 mpg combined. EPA estimates for the Encore Sport Touring model have yet to be released.
2016 Buick Encore (Coastal Blue Metallic) Photos:
2016 Buick Encore Interior
The 2016 Buick Encore comes standard with a 7-inch full-color IntelliLink infotainment screen, which gives drivers access to features such as SiriusXM Satellite Radio, a rearview camera, and available GPS navigation. The interior is available in an all-Ebony or light/dark tone color scheme, which is accented with ice-blue ambient lighting and chrome and woodgrain trim. Seats are offered in cloth/leatherette or premium leather. Interior upholstery and color combinations are as follows: upscale cloth with leatherette accents (Ebony or Medium Titanium with Ebony accents), and leather-appointed seats (Ebony, Medium Titanium with Ebony accents, or Saddle with Cocoa accents).
In addition to seating for up to five passengers, the Buick Encore holds eight beverage holders, 18.7 cubic feet of storage behind the split-folding rear seat, and 48.4 cu-ft with the seat folded. The front passenger seat can also be folded down to increase cargo capacity for items up to eight feet in length.
2016 Buick Encore Interior Photos:
Interior available on Encore Group:
- Front bucket seats, QuietTuning noise control system; Six-way power driver seat with manual recline and power lumbar adjustment; Two-way manual front passenger seat; Front passenger underseat storage; Rear 60/40-folding split-bench; Color-keyed and carpeted front and rear floor mats; Front door sill plate cover; Adjustable tilt and telescopic, leather-wrapped, three-spoke steering wheel with mounted audio and phone interface controls; Outside temperature display on audio system; Power driver’s side window with Express-Up/Down; Power front passenger window with Express-Down; Power rear windows with Express-Down; Electronic cruise control; Single-zone manual air conditioning; Rear-window electric defogger; PASSKey III theft-deterrent system and immobilizer; Satin silver and chrome shift knob; Dual glovebox; Inside rearview manual day/night mirror with tilt; Buick IntelliLink™ with seven-inch color LCD display, AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo with MP3 CD player, USB port, Radio Data System, auxiliary input jack, Six-speaker system, SiriusXM with three-month trial, USB port in center console, Standard speaker system, OnStar® with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, Rear vision camera
Interior available on Convenience Group (additions/replacements to Encore Group):
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert, Remote Vehicle Starter System, Dual-zone automatic air conditioning, Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror, 120-volt power outlet
Interior available on Sport Touring Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Unchanged from Convenience Group
Interior available on Leather Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Leather-appointed seating, Heated steering wheel, Six-way power passenger seat, Heated front seats and driver memory package
Interior available on Premium Group (additions/replacements to Convenience Group):
- Lane Departure Warning, Front and Rear Park Assist, Rear cargo net and rear carpeted cargo mat, Bose® premium seven-speaker system with amplifier
2016 Buick Encore Safety
The 2016 Buick Encore returns the same safety features that earned it a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from NHTSA and a 2015 IIHS Top Safety Pick.
Standard Safety Features
- Front and knee air bags for driver and passenger; side-impacted seat-mounted and roof rail airbags for front and rear outboard seating positions
- Passenger Sensing System for airbags
- Four-wheel antilock disc brakes
- Daytime Running Lamps
- OnStar Guidance Plan for 6 months including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling) (Visit onstar.com for vehicle availability, details and system limitations. Services may vary by model and conditions.)
- LATCH child seat restraint system
- Rear Vision Camera
- Child locks, rear
- Rear park assist
- StabiliTrak® stability control system
- Traction control
- Tire pressure monitor system