2017 Buick Encore Overview
The market is filled with compact sport utility vehicles, and it’s no surprise. Buyers love the combination of performance, utility, space, and efficiency. When it comes to the Encore crossover, you can toss one more quality in that blend: luxury.
Buick’s premium Encore is arguably the brand’s most popular entry and comes with a broad array of highlights. From the folding back seats to the available all-wheel drive, the Encore is more than your average Buick.
Like the Encore? We can help you decide if you should lease or buy it
What’s New for the 2017 Buick Encore?
The Buick Encore has undergone some major updates for the 2017 model year, both inside and out.
Its body has become more stout and streamlined, with a sculpted front-end that emphasizes its new winged grille, LED-signature headlamps, raised hood, and burly front fenders. Its new form gives it a taller appearance and a squarer front fascia.
As attractive as the outside of the new Encore is, it’s the inside that’s most exciting. The cockpit-style layout of the cabin has been enhanced, with a redesigned instrument panel and 4.2-inch-diagonal information center screen. There’s plenty of standard new technology too, like keyless entry, push-button start, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, and a frameless 8-inch color touch-screen.
Materials in the Encore have improved, from the chrome accents to the contrast stitching.
2017 Buick Encore Photos:
2017 Buick Encore Exterior
As mentioned previously, the new Encore’s exterior design has undergone a transformation this year, and a comparison between the old and new generations shows how stocky and angled the 2017 Encore is. While sleek body lines and redesigned 18-inch aluminum wheels have been added, it’s much less round than it used to be–and that’s a good thing. The compact SUV stretches slightly over 100 inches in wheelbase and is offered in new color options like Ebony Twilight Metallic, White Frost Metallic, and Black Cherry Metallic.
The 2017 Buick Encore is available in six trim levels: Encore 1SV, Preferred, Sport Touring, Preferred II, Essence, and Premium. The Encore 1SV is available only in FWD, and all other models are available with either AWD or FWD.
2017 Buick Encore Exterior Photos:
Exterior features included on the 2017 Buick Encore:
- 1SV: 18-inch aluminum wheels, 18-inch all-season blackwall tires, Acoustic laminated glass, LED Daytime Running Lamps, Body-color door handles with Chrome strip, Deep-tinted glass, Halogen headlamps, Power-adjustable and heated outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, Roof-mounted luggage rack side rails, Solar-absorbing windshield, Compact spare tired, Rear intermittent wiper
- Sport Touring: Adds 18-inch Midnight Silver aluminum alloy wheels, Fog lamps, Rear sport spoiler
- Essence: Adds LED headlamps
- Premium: Adds Rainsense™ wipers
*Preferred and Preferred II trims do not add additional exterior features
2017 Buick Encore Performance
Two different engine options are offered for the latest Encore: an ECOTEC 4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and a 1.4-liter SIDI Turbo engine with Start-Stop Technology. Depending on the trim level chosen, either may be standard or offered optionally. The ECOTEC earns 138 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque, while the SIDI Turbo amps that performance up to 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque.
Both engines can only be paired with the standard six-speed automatic transmission.
2017 Buick Encore Efficiency
As a compact SUV, the Encore’s fuel efficiency averages may not be as high as eco-friendly sedans, but they’re far better than the hulking full-size SUVs, minivans, and trucks on the market.
The ECOTEC engine gets 25 mpg city and 33 mpg highway with FWD, or 23 mpg city and 30 mpg highway with AWD. The SIDI Turbo gets 28 mpg city and 34 mpg highway with FWD, or 26 mpg city and 32 mpg highway with AWD. Overall, the fuel tank capacity is a healthy 14 gallons.
2017 Buick Encore Interior
As with all Buicks, it’s the inside that impresses. The Encore balances premium materials and design with an affordable price that starts well under $25,000. It’s able to comfortably sit five people in its cabin; passengers in the back get 38.8-inches of headroom and 35.7-inches of legroom while those in the front seat get an extra inch of headroom and five more inches of legroom.
The cargo space of the Encore starts at 18.8 cubic feet behind the rear seat but can become 48.4 cubic feet of storage space with the 60/40 rear seats folded.
2017 Buick Encore Interior Photos:
Interior features included on the 2017 Buick Encore:
- 1SV: Two-way manual front passenger seat adjuster, Six-way power driver seat adjuster, Active noise cancellation technology, Single-zone manual air conditioning, Rear-window electric defogger, Manual rear child security door locks, Power door locks, Flat-folding front passenger seatback, Front passenger underseat storage, Illuminated vanity mirrors, Inside rearview manual day/night mirror, Keyless Open with extended-range Remote Keyless Entry, Power driver Express-Up/-Down window, Power front passenger Express-Down window, Power rear Express-Down windows, QuietTuning™, Rear 60-40 split-bench seat, Tilt and telescopic adjustable steering column, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Steering-wheel mounted audio and phone controls, Six-speaker audio system, Bluetooth® for phone and music, Buick IntelliLink® Radio audio system with eight-inch diagonal Color Touchscreen, Electronic cruise control, Driver Information Center with 4.2-inch multi-color display, OnStar® 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, Five-year OnStar® Basic Plan, Three-year OnStar® Guidance Plan, Rear Vision Camera, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial
- Preferred: Adds Color-keyed and carpeted front and rear floor mats, Rear cargo cover
- Sport Tuning: Adds Remote vehicle starter system
- Preferred II: Adds Dual-zone automatic air conditioning, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, 120-volt power outlet, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert
- Premium: Adds Carpeted rear cargo mat, Rear cargo net, Bose® seven-speaker premium sound system, Forward Collision Alert, Front and Rear Ultrasonic Park Assist, Lane Departure Warning
2017 Buick Encore Safety
You might think of the word “conservative” when you think of Buick, but when it comes to safety, that’s a good thing. Instead of taking chances with its passengers’ safety, the 2017 Encore proudly enhanced its construction and preventative technology. It earned an overall 5-star rating from the NHTSA, receiving top marks in every single category apart from the rollover test (which received only 4/5 stars).
The amount and placement of airbags, along with the durable construction and crumple zones make the 2017 Encore a reliable choice even in the worst situations.
Standard Safety Features
- 10 air bags
- Four-wheel antilock disc brakes
- Air bag Passenger Sensing System
- LATCH child seat restraint system
- Rear Vision Camera
- Rear park assist
- StabiliTrak® stability control system
- Traction control
- Tire pressure monitor system
Dealer-Installed Parts vs. Purchased Parts: Which have the better warranty?