Easy Ways to Prevent Car Theft
There are more than 700,000 motor vehicles reported stolen in the U.S. every year, and many of us think it can’t happen to us until it does. With a vehicle being stolen every 44 seconds in the U.S., that is clearly a false sense of security, but a lot of thefts can be prevented.
The truth of the matter is that the majority of thieves are merely opportunistic. They may not plan to steal your car, but if you leave it idling or the keys in plain sight, they will see it as an easy pay day. In fact, 40-50 percent of all vehicle theft is due to driver error.
We’re not simply saying this is your fault, but it is possible to avoid becoming a victim of auto theft. SaferCar.gov has provided us with some anti-theft tips that are simple, and should always be followed.
A Few Easy Ways to Prevent Car Theft:
- Drivers should always take their keys with them when leaving their vehicle.
- Always be sure to close all windows and lock all doors.
- Make a concerted effort to park in well-lit areas when possible.
- Never leave your car running while you’re not in it.
- Make sure all valuables are out-of-sight, or not in the vehicle at all.
- Protect your vehicle with an anti-theft device
Following these easy tips will help prevent you from becoming a victim of automotive theft. Feel free to share any helpful hints you think we may have missed!
Brought to you by Crossroads Chevrolet of Beckley, WV