2015 Ford F-150 Debuts at NAIAS
Welcome to the new face of Built Tough: the 2015 Ford F-150, the first in the next generation of powerful, capable, efficient Ford pickups. The all-new F-150 debuted today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit with plenty of surprises up its sleeve—er, tailpipe?
“F-150 is well-known for being Built Ford Tough. Now, it is both tough and smart,” reported Mark Fields, Ford Motor Company chief operating officer, in Ford’s accompanying press release. “The all-new F-150 redefines the future of trucks, and it is yet another example of our One Ford plan producing vehicles that serve customers with a commitment to the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value.”
Let’s break down what we know about the unveiled F-150 bit by bit and take a closer look.
It’s no surprise that the 2015 Ford F-150 is the “strongest and most durable F-150” to date. After the most intense testing a truck can possibly withstand (including extreme temperature tests, torture-tested labs, heavy trailering simulations, and even the Baja 1000), the Ford F-150 has more than proven itself on and off the road, in all likely scenarios.
The F-150 utilizes high-strength steel (rated up to 70,000 psi), which is stronger than the steel used in the pickup truck frames of competitors’ heavy duty offerings. In addition, stiffness is maximized via eight through-welded crossmembers, and staggered rear outboard shocks allow for increased stability.
The F-150 will be available with four different engines: the all-new 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 with Auto Start-Stop (new), the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, the 3.5-liter V6 with twin independent variable camshaft timing (new), and the ever-powerful 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V8.
The all-new 2015 Ford F-150 comes with a myriad of exciting technologies for a better driving experience:
- Remote tailgate—locking, unlocking, and releasing via a key fob
- EcoBoost—EcoBoost technology has been even further enhanced with an all-new 2.7-liter V6 offering
- 360-degree camera view—for easier maneuvering and parking
- An 8-inch LCD productivity screen—featuring updated truck apps (including fuel economy and towing trips, among others)
The Advanced Safety Measures
What would a pickup be without the latest in safety technology? The 2015 Ford F-150 safety features include the following:
- Curve Control—providing aggressive four-wheel braking around corners at higher speeds
- Lane-Keeping System
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Second-row inflatable seat belts—with tubular airbags to distribute the force of impact across a larger area of the passenger’s body
- Blind Spot Information System (with cross-traffic alert)
- Integrated loading ramps
- BoxLink™—to secure items in the cargo box
- Smart trailer tow module
- LED headlamps and taillamps
- High-wattage power outlets in the cab of the truck
- LED spotlights on the sideview mirrors
- An innovative tailgate step—now fully integrated inside the tailgate, making it essentially invisible when not in use
For a complete look at the latest features, be sure to check out Ford’ press kit for the all-new 2015 Ford F-150.
The F-150 is the most essential piece of the Ford F-Series truck lineup, which has been America’s best-selling truck for 37 years running now—and America’s best-selling vehicle overall for the past 32. We expect the 2015 Ford F-150 to continue the tradition.
In closing, Joe Hinrichs, Ford executive vice president and president of The Americas, said, “Time and again, F-150 has delivered the tougher, smarter features they want along with the capabilities they need for work or play. We build our trucks to their high standards.”
Here’s hoping that this holds true for the next generation of Ford pickups.
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.