2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Overview
Have you heard about the 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron? This all-new luxury plug-in hybrid is a powerful addition to any garage. With ample passenger and cargo room, cutting-edge technology, and sharp styling, the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is worth a closer look.
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is offered in three trims: Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron?
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is a new model for 2016, so everything about it is new.
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Exterior
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron has all the effortless style and friendly looks of the regular A3 hatchback, with a few notable differences. It features a unique grille with a sliding Audi logo, behind which owners will find the charging port. At the rear, a spoiler, diffuser, and hidden exhaust emphasize its eco-friendly theme.
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Premium
- Singleframe grille, Integrated roof spoiler, LED taillights, Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights, 16-inch 15-spoke-Y design wheels, Power-adjustable heated exterior side mirrors
Exterior available on the Premium Plus
- Aluminum trim around exterior windows, Full LED headlights, 17-inch 15-spoke-turbine design wheel
Exterior available on the Prestige
- 16-inch 15-spoke-Y design wheels; Power-adjustable, power-folding, heated exterior side mirrors (auto-dimming driver’s side)
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Performance
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is powered by a 150-horsepower, turbocharged, 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which is supplemented by a 102-horsepower electric motor that derives power from an 8.8-kWh lithium-ion battery pack mounted under the rear seats. In total, it produces 204 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque, sent to the front wheels via Audi’s trademark six-speed S tronic automatic transmission. It can be driven in gas-only, electric-only, or hybrid mode.
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Efficiency
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is rated at 39 mpg combined in hybrid mode, but it can go 17 miles on electric power alone before the batteries need to recharge, which bumps its fuel economy to a very satisfying 86 MPGe combined. Fully recharging takes 8 hours with a standard 110-volt outlet and only 2.5 hours with a 240-volt outlet.
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Interior
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron’s interior will be one you are already familiar with if you have been inside an A3—which most would agree is a good thing. The materials are top notch and the dashboard flaunts a minimalist style that perfectly matches an overall excellent attention to detail. Unique to the e-tron model is a power meter where you would normally find a tachometer that displays power output, battery charging status, and the efficiency of your driving.
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Premium
- Interior Features: Tilt and telescopic manually adjustable steering column, Ambient LED interior lighting, Leather seating surfaces, 12-volt power outlet, Split folding rear seat back with armrest and cup holders, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel, Decorative interior inlays, Twelve-way power front seats with four-way power lumbar adjustment, Aluminum door sills with e-tron logo, Panoramic sunroof
- Radio and Technology: Audi pre sense basic; Audi drive select; SD card slot with 32GB operating capacity; Audi advanced key (keyless start, stop, and entry); Cruise control with coast, resume, and accelerate features; Color driver information system; SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 90-day trial subscription; Parking system plus with rear view camera; Bluetooth wireless technology preparation for compatible mobile phones; HD Radio Technology; Rain/light sensor for automatic windshield wipers and headlights; Bluetooth streaming audio for compatible devices; Audi concert radio with ten speakers and single CD player with MP3 playback capability
Interior available on the Premium Plus
- Interior Features: Heated front seats, 3D optic decorative inlays, Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror with digital compass
- Radio and Technology: Audi music interface with iPod integration
Interior available on the Prestige
- Interior Features: Interior Storage package
- Radio and Technology: Audi side assist, Audi music interface with iPod integration, Audi active lane assist, Audi drive select, SiriusXM Traffic with four-year subscription, Parking system plus with rear view camera, Bang & Olufsen Sound System with 14 speakers and 705 watts, Audi connect with six-month trial subscription, Audi pre sense front, MMI navigation plus with voice control system, Color driver information system, Audi adaptive cruise control with stop & go, MMI touch with handwriting recognition technology
2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Safety
The 2016 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron comes standard with antilock brakes, stability control, traction control, front knee airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, front and rear side airbags, automatic seatbelt pre-tensioning, and sensors that can predict imminent frontal or side collisions. Optional is the Audi suite of active safety technologies, including lane-departure prevention, blind-spot monitoring, and frontal collision mitigation.
Standard Safety Features
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with secondary collision brake assist and traction control (ASR)
- Power central locking system with safety unlock feature if airbags deploy
- Tire-pressure monitoring system
- Anti-theft alarm system with immobilizer
- Front passenger occupant detection for airbags
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake pressure Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
- Driver and front passenger advanced airbags, knee airbags, front and rear thorax side airbags and Sideguard® head curtain airbags
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) in rear seats
- Safety belt reminder for driver and front passenger
- Electromechanical parking brake
Hiding in Plain Sight Learn how car camouflage works
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.