2016 Cadillac ELR Overview
The 2016 Cadillac ELR is the followup Cadillac’s first-ever extended-range electric vehicle. After skipping the 2015 model year, the ELR returns with improved performance, increased power, and a lower price point, making it an even more attractive option for customers looking to satiate their appetites for luxury and environmental responsibility.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Cadillac ELR?
Aesthetically speaking, the 2016 ELR is largely unchanged from the inaugural model apart from the updated Cadillac crest on the grille. The biggest performance changes come in the form of a redesigned electric drive system that increases horsepower by 29% and torque by 26% and improved handling, steering, and braking. Also new for the 2016 model year is Apple CarPlay capability, the addition of OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, and an available Performance Package that adds 20-inch summer-only tires, sport wheels, front Brembo four-piston brake calipers, and recalibrated continuous damping control and electric power steering.
2016 Cadillac ELR Exterior
The 2016 Cadillac ELR’s exterior is unchanged from the 2014 model with the exception of the new Cadillac crest replacing the older wreathed emblem. The 2016 ELR maintains features synonymous with Cadillac’s Art and Science design language, as well as the vertical headlamp and taillamp look that has been a Caddy staple for almost 70 years. The ELR’s charge port is located on the front driver’s side fender, and the side mirrors pulse green during charging to indicate that the battery is still depleted to some degree.
Exterior available on ELR:
- 20-inch 7-spoke Ultra-Bright aluminum wheels, LED headlamps, vertical LED taillamps, Optional Performance Package, Heated Mirrors
2016 Cadillac ELR Performance
The 2016 ELR is powered by a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine mated to an electric motor and a 17.1 kWh lithium-ion battery. Modifications to the electric drive system increases output to 233 horsepower and 373 lb-ft of torque in Range Extended mode, and the ELR achieves a 6.4-second 0-to-60 time in Sport mode. Top speed is 106 mph for all modes, and models equipped with the Performance Package and driving in Sport and Hold modes achieve a top speed of 130 mph.
2016 Cadillac ELR Efficiency
The 2016 Cadillac ELR achieves 85 MPGe using only electricity with a 39 mile range. The 1.4-liter engine-generator adds 32 mpg city and 35 mpg highway, bringing the ELR’s total range to 340 miles. Mileage varies depending on drive mode, driving habits, and whether the ELR is equipped with the Performance Package.
2016 Cadillac ELR Interior
The 2016 Cadillac ELR retains the 2014’s interior, including the 2+2 seating configuration, application of carbon fiber and ultra-premium semi-aniline leather seating, heated front seats with eight-way power adjustment, and a heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel.
Interior available on 2016 Cadillac ELR:
- Regen on Demand dual-side paddle controls, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Eight-way power and heated front seats, Folding rear seats, Leather upholstery, Power tilt-and-telescoping and heated steering wheel, Safety Alert Seat, Cadillac User Experience (CUE) infotainment system with navigation, Bose® audio with Active Noise Cancellation, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning system, Front and Rear Park Assist, 8-inch touchscreen display, Voice controls, 10 speakers, OnStar emergency system and 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, Wireless charging capability for battery pack
2016 Cadillac ELR Safety
The 2016 Cadillac ELR maintains a high-tech suite of safety technologies that includes standard rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, and front and rear parking sensors.
Standard Safety Features
- Antilock brakes
- Stability and traction control
- Front-seat side-impact airbags
- Front knee airbags
- Full-length side curtain airbags
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rearview camera
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Frontal collision warning system
- Lane-departure warning system
- Safety Alert Seat