2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Overview
The 2016 GMC Sierra pickup truck is back with a fresh look for the new model year. Coming with the choice of three powerful engines, advanced safety features, and a newly designed touchscreen that is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the new Sierra 1500 could be a great option for your next work truck or family vehicle. The starting MSRP of the 2016 Sierra 1500 is just $27,275.
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 is available in four trim levels: Sierra, SLE, SLT, and Denali.
The Sierra 1500 is available with three body styles: Regular Cab, Double Cab, and Crew Cab. Regular Cabs are only available with the Sierra and SLE trim levels and can be had with a standard or long bed. Double Cabs are available with three trim levels—Sierra, SLE, and SLT—and can only have a standard bed. Crew Cabs are available with all four trim levels and a short or standard bed. Every trim is available with 2WD or 4WD.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500?
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 offers a new Elevation Edition package that comes with 20 x 9-inch machined aluminum wheels painted black, LED front fog lamps, remote keyless entry, LED cargo box lighting, IntelliLink with new 7-inch-diagonal radio, OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot, and body-color-accented grille surround, as well as body-color front and rear bumpers.
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Photos:
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Exterior
The exterior of the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 features inlaid doors that work with triple door seals to help reduce wind noise inside the cabin. An aluminum hood helps to reduce the truck’s weight and also improve its efficiency. Every 2016 Sierra 1500 comes standard with HID projector-beam headlamps and LED signature lighting. Additionally, the truck’s grille design varies upon trim levels and chrome bumpers come standard.
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Sierra
- GMC Signature LED Lighting, Chrome front bumper, Chrome grille surround, CornerStep chrome rear bumper, Locking tailgate, Solar absorbing tinted glass, Outside manual-folding black mirrors, 17-inch all-season blackwall tires, 17-inch painted steel wheels
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Sierra: 17-inch bright machined aluminum wheels, Cargo box LED lighting, Four upper cargo box tie-downs, Remote Locking Tailgate, EZ-Lift and Lower tailgate, Body-colored door handles, Deep-tinted glass, Body-colored bodyside moldings, Heated power-adjustable mirrors
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE: Chrome bodyside moldings, Chrome mirror caps, Chrome door handles, Think Profile LED front fog lamps, 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding mirrors, Trailering package
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: 6-inch chrome assist steps, 20-inch machined aluminum wheels, Sliding rear window, Spray-on bedliner with Denali logo, Signature Denali grille, Available Power Articulating Assist Steps with bed step, Available power sunroof
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Performance
There are three engine options available with the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500. The base engine is a 4.3-liter EcoTec3 V6 that’s good for 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque. There’s also a 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V8 engine that pumps out 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. The most powerful option is a 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V8 that’s capable of 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. All three engine options feature direct injection, variable valve timing, and active fuel management.
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Efficiency
Fuel economy for the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 varies depending on how the truck is configured. The type of engine used, whether the vehicle is 4WD or 2WD, and what type of fuel is being used: gas or ethanol V8–those are all factors that impact the vehicle’s fuel mileage. For example, a 2016 Sierra 1500 configured with a 4.3-liter EcoTec3 engine in 2WD, featuring the regular cab and standard box options, is good for 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. In comparison, a 2016 Sierra 1500 configured with a 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V8 engine in 4WD, featuring the double cab and standard box options, receives fuel mileage of 15 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway.
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Interior
The 2016 Sierra 1500 comes standard with a 40/20/40-split cloth bench seat and fold-down armrest, which features storage space and cup holders. The SLT trim comes with heated and vented perforated leather front bucket seats. All models come with two 12-volt power points, four USB ports, and a 110-volt outlet. A newly designed radio and 7-inch-diagonal color touchscreen is also available with the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500, which is compatible with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Sierra
- Air conditioning, Cloth seats, Power door locks, Driver Information Center, Manual tilt steering column, Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Sierra: 4.2-inch diagonal color Driver Information Center display, Leather-wrapped steering wheel with controls, Soft-touch instrument panel, Carpeted floor with rubber mat
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE: Leather-appointed, heated front seat, Driver’s seat memory, 10-way adjustable power seat adjusters, 18-inch polished-aluminum wheel, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Power-adjustable pedals
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: Heated bucket seats, 12-way power driver’s seat, Heated leather-wrapped steering wheel
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Safety
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 has yet to undergo safety testing for either the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or the National Highway Safety Administration, as of October 29, 2015. However the 2015 Sierra 1500 did earn a five star safety rating from the NHTSA. A rear-vision camera comes standard on the SLE, SLT, and Denali trims. If you opt for the available Driver Alert package, then the GMC truck will come loaded with advanced safety features such as forward collision alert, IntelliBeam high-beam headlamp control, and lane keep assist, among other safety features.
Standard Safety Features
- Available Rear Vision Camera
- Head curtain air bags
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Dual-stage frontal and seat mounted side-impact air bags
- Duralife Four-Wheel Antilock Disc Brakes