2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Overview
The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is restyled for the 2016 model year and comes with a starting MSRP of $26,000. Boasting improved fuel economy over last year’s model that puts it on par with other hybrid competitors, the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is as sophisticated as it is capable, while still maintaining a modest price tag.
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is available in two trims: SE and Limited.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?
As previously mentioned, the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid comes with better fuel economy and a fresh design over last year’s model. Additionally, the 2016 Sonata Hybrid offers new 17-inch eco-spoke aluminum alloy wheels, a lighter weight suspension, and a new automatic emergency braking technology.
2016 Hyundai Sonata Photos:
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Exterior
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid comes with a more refined and polished exterior design than last year’s model. The 2016 Sonata Hybrid also comes with a larger front grille than its predecessor and is equipped with 16-inch alloy wheels as a standard feature. Exterior color options for the new Sonata Hybrid include Starlight Silver, Graphite Blue Pearl, Seaport Mist, Venetian Red Pearl, Diamond White Pearl, Pewter Gray Metallic, and Eclipse Black.
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE
- 16-inch Eco-spoke aluminum alloy wheels, Hands-free smart trunk, Dual fold-away heated power bodycolor side mirrors, Side mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators, Center High-Mount Stop Light, Chrome exterior door handles with welcome light, Chrome side sill molding, Rear lip spoiler, Solar control glass, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Shark-fin antenna, Projector headlights, Automatic headlights, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED tail lights, Proximity Key entry with push button start
Exterior available on the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SE trim: 17-inch Eco-spoke aluminum alloy wheels, HID Xenon headlights, Optional chrome front grille, Optional glossy DLO surround and mirror housing
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Performance
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid comes equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, an additional 38kW electric motor, and six-speed automatic transmission, which work together to produce 193 net horsepower and 140 lb-ft of torque. The 2016 Sonata Hybrid is capable of speeds up to 75 mph when using its electric only mode. The new Sonata hybrid also features a “virtual engine sound system” that pumps out engine noise through the vehicle’s speakers, but that’s only when traveling at speeds of less than 20 mpg when using the electric power mode. This virtual sound system was added because last year’s model was so quiet that some people complained they could not hear the vehicle approaching.
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Efficiency
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid comes with better fuel efficiency than last year’s model that produced 38 mpg combined. The 2016 Sonata Hybrid is good for an EPA-estimated 40 mpg in the city and 44 mpg on the highway. This model is one of the only hybrid vehicles that comes with better fuel economy on the highway than in the city. Hyundai is offering a Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty, which promises to replace the vehicle’s lithium polymer battery if it fails and Hyundai will also cover recycling costs for the old battery. The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid also features 15.9 gallons of fuel tank capacity to accommodate its non-electric power source.
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Interior
The interior of the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid offers a smooth and quiet ride for both driver and passengers. A navigation system is available with the new Sonata Hybrid that includes an interactive 8-inch touchscreen, which can used be to gather directions, locate nearby restaurants, or simply stream the latest music. The 2016 Sonata Hybrid comes with 13.3 cubic feet of available trunk storage space and also boasts the most total interior space in its class, according to Hyundai’s official web site.
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE
- Dual front automatic temperature control, Power windows with driver’s auto-down/up with pinch protection, Power door locks, Premium cloth seating surfaces, Leatherette door trim inserts, Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, Metallic paint appearance accents, Chrome interior door handles, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel with mounted audio/Bluetooth®/cruise controls, Emergency tire puncture repair kit
Interior available on the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SE trim: Floor console-mounted rear vents, Power auto-down/up passenger window with pinch protection, Rear side window sunshades, 8-way power driver seat with power adjustable lumbar support, 6-way power passenger seat, Integrated Memory System for driver’s seat and side mirrors, Heated front and rear seats, Ventilated front seats, Leather seating surfaces, Leatherette door trim inserts with stitching, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Insert film appearance accents, Woodgrain appearance accents, Premium door sill plates, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Heated steering wheel, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, Optional panoramic tilt-and-slide sunroof, Optional Smart Cruise Control with stop/start capability, Optional Electronic Parking Brake with Automatic Vehicle Hold
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Safety
The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid earned the best possible safety rating of five stars for overall crash protection from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Additionally, the 2016 Sonata Hybrid earned five star ratings in the side-impact and frontal-impact protection tests. This new Hyundai model also comes available with advanced safety features such as Forward Collision Warning, Smart Cruise Control with stop/start capability, and Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, as well as Lane Change Assist.
Standard Safety Features
- Driver’s blind spot mirror
- Rearview camera
- Power window lock-out button
- Vehicle Stability Management system
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Anti-lock Braking System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with individual tire pressure indicator
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Brake Assist
- Suite of airbags, including advanced dual front, driver and front passenger side-impact, driver’s knee, and side-curtain
- Rear LATCH
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters
More From Hyundai: Check out these details on the Rockstar Performance Garage Hyundai Tucson