2016 Mazda CX-9 Overview
Completely redesigned for the 2016 model year comes Mazda’s largest SUV, the three-row CX-9. Designed to appeal specifically to America and more specifically to American families, the CX-9 features a unique mix of comfort and power that you won’t find on another vehicle.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Mazda CX-9?
Nine years after the nameplate’s introduction, the Mazda CX-9 has been completely redesigned for 2016, bringing it into the fold of Mazda’s next-generation vehicles that have been redesigned using the KODO: Soul of Motion design language and SKYACTIV technology.
2016 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Exterior
The outside of the CX-9 falls in line with the KODO: Soul of Motion design language and mimics the brand’s Koeru concept, including thinner headlights integrated into the lines from the grille, with a long, aggressive nose and a smooth, tapered roofline.
2016 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- LED headlights with auto off and auto height control, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED combination taillights, Variable Intermittent wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Black front side and rear lower body molding, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated LED turn signals, Body-color door handles, Rear privacy glass, Dual exhaust outlets, Body-color rear roof spoiler
Exterior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Heated side mirrors
Exterior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- LED headlights with auto on/off, LED fog lights, High Beam Control, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Rain-sensing variable intermittent wipers, Chrome molding, Power and heated side mirrors, Aluminum roof rails with satin chrome finish, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- LED grille accent lighting
2016 Mazda CX-9 Performance
The new CX-9 comes with a new engine as well, replacing the previous version‘s powerplant with a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that puts out 227 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. The turbocharger is unique, in that Mazda designed it to minimize “turbo lag” and give you the engine’s full power as soon as you press on the gas pedal. In addition, the CX-9 is engineered to deliver its full 310 lb-ft of torque at only 2,000 RPM, much sooner than other similar models. These enhancements are part of the brand’s Jinba Ittai engineering philosophy, which attempts to make the interaction between car and driver as seamless as possible.
2016 Mazda CX-9 Efficiency
Thanks to a combination of shaving off weight and other SKYACTIV design enhancements (not to mention the new engine), the CX-9 delivers an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in the city, 28 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg combined in FWD models. In AWD models, this efficiency drops slightly to 21 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined.
2016 Mazda CX-9 Interior
In general, Mazda has attempted to lower the weight of its vehicles. However, when it came to sound deadening, Mazda made adding insulating material a priority, actually adding 53 pounds. This and other enhancements combine to make the CX-9 a luxurious ride for the whole family–especially so in the top Signature trim, which is outfitted in many premium materials, such as Nappa leather, sculpted aluminum, and rosewood.
2016 Mazda CX-9 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- Three-zone auto climate control, Power windows/locks, Front door courtesy lamps, Push Button Start, Dual visor vanity mirrors, Front door pocket illumination, Tilt and telescoping steering column, 12-volt power outlets (x2), Remote fuel-door release, Rear window defogger with timer, 6-way manual adjusted driver’s seat, 4-way manual front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining second-row seats and slide third-row access, 50/50 split fold-down third-row seats, Cloth seating trim, Leather-wrapped steering and shift knob, Carpet floor mats
Interior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Power rear liftgate with programmable height, 8-way power driver’s seat, 4-way power front passenger’s seat, Heated front seats (three levels), Leather-trimmed seating
Interior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch open, LED accent lighting, Genuine aluminum interior trim, Second-row retractable sunshades
Interior available on the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- Genuine rosewood inlays, Nappa leather-trimmed seating, Leather-wrapped steering with red box-stitching
2016 Mazda CX-9 Safety
In addition to multiple safety systems that you would expect to see in an SUV this size, the CX-9 is also available with a range of driver-assist technologies, such as Mazda Radar Cruise Control, Smart City Brake Support, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring, Smart Brake Support, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist, Adaptive Front Lighting, High Beam Control, and Distance Recognition. Coupled with the available Predictive I-ACTIV AWD, the CX-9 is unmatched in safety.
Standard Safety Features
- Rearview Camera
- Hill Launch Assist
- Roll Stability Control
- Advanced dual airbag system
- 3-point seatbelts with front pretensioners
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control and Trailer Stability Assist
- Side-impact door beams
- Engine-immobilizer antitheft system
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- LATCH safety seating with child-safety rear door locks