2016 Toyota Camry Overview
Back for another year, the 2016 Toyota Camry sedan offers plenty of standard and optional features that’ll appeal to a broad range of drivers.
Toyota offers the 2016 Camry in eight trim levels, including LE, SE, Special Edition, XLE, XSE, Hybrid LE, Hybrid SE, and Hybrid XLE.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota Camry?
For 2016, Toyota is introducing a new Special Edition Camry with a starting MSRP of $25,715. The Special Edition gets a power moonroof, 18-inch alloy wheels, smoked taillamp treatment, exterior color choices of Blue Streak Metallic or Blizzard Pearl, push-button start, dark blue interior trim, and Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation.
2016 Toyota Camry Photos:
2016 Toyota Camry Exterior
The 2016 Camry boasts exterior options like a distinctive sport mesh front grille, LED headlights and daytime running lights, gloss-black-finish or machined-finish 18-inch alloy wheels, and a dual chrome-tipped exhaust. The combination results in a surprisingly dashing sedan that’s arguably more attractive than its competitors. It’s hard to be stylish in some sedans, but the Camry’s sleek style makes it much easier.
2016 Toyota Camry Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the LE:
- Projector-beam halogen headlights with auto on/off feature, Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature, Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with manual folding feature, 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers and P205/65R16 tires, Washer-linked intermittent windshield wipers, High Solar Energy-Absorbing (HSEA) glass
Exterior available on the SE:
- Projector-beam halogen headlights with black sport trim bezels and auto on/off feature, Piano black sport mesh lower front grille, 17-inch alloy wheels with Graphite finish and P215/55R17 tires, Color-keyed rear spoiler
Exterior available on the Special Edition:
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and jam protection, 18-inch Special Edition machined finish alloy wheels with gloss-black painted accents and P225/45R18 tires, Smoked taillights, Special Edition badge
Exterior available on the XLE:
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature, 16-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels with P205/65R16 tires, Chrome-tipped exhaust
Exterior available on the XSE:
- 18-inch machined finish alloy wheels with black painted accents and P225/45R18 tires
Exterior available on the Hybrid LE:
- Acoustic noise-reducing front windshield
Exterior available on the Hybrid SE:
- Same as Hybrid LE
Exterior available on the Hybrid XLE:
- Same as Hybrid SE
2016 Toyota Camry Performance
The 2016 Toyota Camry is available with three engine choices. The base 2.5-liter four-cylinder motor is good for 178 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque, and is mated to a six-speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission which sends power to the front wheels. This engine is standard in all non-hybrid models.
The second engine option is a beefy 3.5-liter V6, which pumps out 268 hp and 248 lb-ft of torque. This engine is available on the XLE and XSE models.
Finally, all three hybrid models are powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder hybrid motor which gets 200 horsepower, and comes with EV and ECO modes. The hybrid engine is mated to an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT).
2016 Toyota Camry Efficiency
The base four-cylinder engine yields a respectable 25 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway for a combined rating of 28 mpg. Choosing the V6 will knock those numbers down to 21/31/25 mpg city/highway/combined.
If you want to really save money at the pump, the best option is (unsurprisingly) the hybrid engine. In the Hybrid LE model, it gets 43 mpg city, 39 mpg highway, and 41 mpg combined. Opting for the Hybrid SE or Hybrid XLE means slightly lower, though nonetheless still impressive numbers of 40/38/40 mpg city/highway/combined.
2016 Toyota Camry Interior
Inside the 2016 Toyota Camry awaits a peaceful haven that’ll keep you calm, comfortable, and entertained while on the road. Front sport seats with bolsters are available, either in sport or Ultrasuede trim. The Camry SE and XSE offer paddle shifters for a sportier ride, and each model’s center stack allows driver and passenger to easily navigate the infotainment system without losing focus on the road.
The 2016 Camry is also much larger on the inside than you would expect. Rear-seat legroom can be as much as 38.9 inches, meaning even tall back-seat passengers won’t find much to complain about. Additionally, the Camry offers 15.4 cubic feet of cargo space—by no means comparable to a hatchback or crossover, but on par with competitors like the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima.
2016 Toyota Camry Interior Photos:
Interior available on the LE:
- Air conditioning with air filter, Multi-function in-key remote keyless entry system, Fabric-trimmed front seats with seatback pockets, Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with center armrest with cup holder and pass-through, Cruise control, Multi-function steering wheel, Wood-grain-style interior trim, Power windows and door locks, Rear window defogger with timer, Day/night rearview mirror, Illuminated glove compartment, Two 12V auxiliary power outlets, Dual sun visors with sliding extensions
- Entune™ Audio – includes the Entune Multimedia Bundle (6.1-inch touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology), and Siri® Eyes Free with integrated backup camera display)
Interior available on the SE:
- Sport fabric SofTex®-trimmed front seats with seatback pockets, Leather-trimmed sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and controls, Silver interior trim
Interior available on the Special Edition:
- Sport fabric SofTex-trimmed front seats with blue seat inserts and blue contrast stitching, Dark blue interior trim, Unique Camry Special Edition logo floor mats
- Entune™ Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App – includes the Entune™ Multimedia Bundle, Connected Navigation Scout® GPS Link App, Siri® Eyes Free, SiriusXM All Access Radio with 3-month complimentary trial, HD Radio™, HD traffic and weather in major metro areas, Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging
Interior available on the XLE:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter and rear-seat vents, Leather-trimmed multi-stage heated front seats with seatback pockets
- Entune™ Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App – includes the Entune™ Multimedia Bundle, Connected Navigation Scout® GPS Link App, Siri® Eyes Free, SiriusXM All Access Radio with 3-month complimentary trial, HD Radio™, HD traffic and weather in major metro areas
Interior available on the XSE:
- Sport leather-trimmed Ultrasuede® multi-stage heated front seats with seatback pockets, Four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat
Interior available on the Hybrid LE:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter, electric compressor, and humidity sensor; Smart Key System on front doors and trunk with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry; Fold-down rear seat with center armrest, cup holder, and pass-through
Interior available on the Hybrid SE:
- Leather-trimmed three-spoke steering wheel with Bluetooth controls
Interior available on the Hybrid XLE:
- Metallic-tech-grain interior trim, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass
2016 Toyota Camry Safety
The usual standard safety features—airbags, child seat tethers, stability and traction control, tire pressure monitoring—are found inside the 2016 Camry, but there are a lot of high-tech options you can choose to make your car safer than ever. These include a blind spot monitor, lane departure alert, and dynamic radar cruise control.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™ — includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Ten airbags — includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones
- Side-impact door beams
- Backup camera
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- ToyotaCare featuring a no cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
Related: What to Do When Your Car Breaks Down
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.