2017 Ford C-MAX Overview
The 2017 Ford C-MAX is a five-passenger hatchback that Ford originally designed in Europe with the aim of showing fuel-efficient and practical cars could still be fun. Sure enough, the Ford C-MAX is plenty sporty and we would say Ford has accomplished its goal. It might not convince you to buy a hybrid if you don’t already want one, but if you are on the market for a hybrid, the Ford C-MAX will definitely do everything it can to sway you with its superior rate of smiles-a-minute behind the wheel.
The 2017 Ford C-MAX is available as a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid in four trim levels: Hybrid SE, Hybrid Titanium, Energi SE, and Energi Titanium.
Spot the Differences: 2016 Ford C-MAX overview
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Ford C-MAX?
For 2017, the top SEL trim from the previous 2016 model is replaced by a new Titanium trim, which introduces features like a Sony premium audio system and power-adjustable passenger seat. Also new for 2017 is a standard rearview camera, optional blind-spot monitoring, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support for the avaialble SYNC 3 infotainment system.
2017 Ford C-MAX Exterior
We called the 2017 Ford C-MAX a hatchback in the introduction, but that isn’t entirely accurate. It turns out that categorizing the thing not so simple—it’s a tall hatchback, but also a compact wagon, and a crossover-esque utility vehicle too (Ford uses the term “multi activity vehicle”). Whatever you want to call it, the Ford C-MAX is an attractive vehicle that will turn heads at every corner thanks to its sleek profile, good proportions, and sporty front-end. Some may be put off by the rounded and mounded exterior, but we think Ford did a good job of it; besides, it gets you plenty of interior space. The C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid is identical to the C-MAX Hybrid apart from badging and the cap for the plug-in port.
The 2017 Ford C-MAX is available in the following exterior colors: Magnetic, White Gold, Ruby Red, White Platinum, Tuxedo Black, Ingot Silver, Oxford White, and Kona Blue.
2017 Ford C-MAX Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Hybrid SE:
- Black rocker panel moldings, Body-colored bumper fascias, Center high-mounted stop lamp, Integrated blind spot mirrors, Ebony grille with chrome surround, LED signature lighting, Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler, Manual liftgate with remote liftgate release, Variable interval windshield wipers, Fixed interval rear window wiper, Rear window defroster
Exterior available on Hybrid Titanium (adds to or replaces features on Hybrid SE):
- Power-heated exterior mirrors, Fog lamps, Chrome grille with chrome surround, Rain-sensing wipers
Exterior available on Energi SE (adds to or replaces features on Hybrid Titanium):
- Integrated blind spot mirrors, Ebony grille with chrome surround, Illuminated charge port
Exterior available on Energi Titanium (adds to or replaces features on Energi SE):
- Power-heated exterior mirrors, Chrome grille with chrome surround, Available stainless steel door-scuff plates, Available charge port door graphic, Available active grille shutters, Available power liftgate, Available hands-free, foot-activated liftgate, Rain-sensing wipers, Available panoramic fixed-glass Vista Roof®
2017 Ford C-MAX Performance
The 2017 Ford C-MAX is powered by a 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine mated to a gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) and an electric motor. Combined, the engine and motor produce 188 system horsepower and 129 lb-ft of torque. In testing by Edmunds.com, the C-MAX Hybrid accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds, significantly faster than a Toyota Prius. The C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in an even quicker 7.8 seconds thanks to sustained use of its electric motor.
2017 Ford C-MAX Efficiency
The EPA estimates the 2017 Ford C-MAX Hybrid gets about 42 mpg city, 37 mpg highway, and 40 mpg combined. But while the C-MAX Hybrid’s electric motor draws power from a 1.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, the C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid instead uses a much larger 7.4 kWh battery that allows it to travel up to 19 miles on pure electric power, during which it gets 88 MPGe. When the battery runs out, the C-MAX Energi operates just like the C-MAX Hybrid and is rated at 39 mpg combined. Ford estimates that fully recharging the C-MAX Energi’s battery takes 2.5 hours on a 240-volt outlet and seven hours on a standard 120-volt outlet.
2017 Ford C-MAX Interior
The 2017 Ford C-MAX’s interior is voluptuous, especially in comparison to competing hybrids on the market. Headroom is generous both at the front and rear so that for once, the sentence “it can hold five passengers” does not require a footnote advising against adults sitting in the back. All that room hasn’t compromised cargo volume either, where you get 24.5 cubic feet of space and more by folding the rear seats. The Ford C-MAX is well-equipped even in base SE form with features like a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, dual-zone climate control, and a six-speaker sound system with Bluetooth capability. Upgrading to the Titanium trim gets you even more goodies like heated leather front seats and the SYNC 3 infotainment system.
2017 Ford C-MAX Interior Photos:
Interior available on Hybrid SE:
- Features: Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, Rear seat heat ducts, Illuminated driver/passenger vanity mirrors, In-floor second row storage, Leather-wrapped steering wheel with secondary audio controls, Overhead storage console, Cargo tie down hooks, 10-way power adjustable driver seat, 4-way manual adjustable passenger seat, Second row 60/40 split forward fold flat seats, Cloth bucket seats
- Radio and Technology: Remote keyless entry system, EcoSelect button, SmartGauge® with EcoGuide, AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio, 6 speakers, USB port, Audio input jack, Speed sensitive volume, SYNC®, Two 12-volt power outlets
Interior available on Hybrid Titanium (adds to or replaces features on Hybrid SE):
- Features: Ambient lighting, Heated seats, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, HomeLink® universal transmitter, 10-way power adjustable passenger seat, Leather-trimmed bucket seats
- Radio and Technology: EcoSelect button, SmartGauge® with EcoGuide, Remote start system, Sony® audio system with HD Radio™, SYNC®3 with unique hybrid content, Intelligent access with push-button start
Interior available on Energi SE (adds to or replaces features on Hybrid Titanium):
- Features: Leather-wrapped shift knob, 4-way manual adjustable passenger seat, Cloth bucket seats
- Radio and Technology: SmartGauge® with EcoGuide, AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio, 6 speakers, USB port, Audio input jack, Speed sensitive volume, SYNC®, MyFord® mobile app and website
Interior available on Energi Titanium (adds to or replaces features on Energi SE):
- Features: Ambient lighting, Heated seats, Available engine block heater, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, HomeLink® universal transmitter, 10-way power adjustable passenger seat, Leather-trimmed bucket seats
- Radio and Technology: Intelligent access with push-button start, Available active park assist, Remote start system, Sony® audio system with HD Radio™, SYNC®3 with unique hybrid content, Available SiriusXM® radio, Available voice activated touch screen navigation with SiriusXM® traffic and Travel Link®
2017 Ford C-MAX Safety
The 2017 Ford C-MAX comes with the usual passive safety features, listed below, as well as standard daytime running lights and a rearview camera. Also standard is 911 Assist and driver parameters via MyKey. Rear parking sensors are optional on the SE and standard on the Titanium. In government crash tests, the Ford C-MAX received four out of five stars for overall protection. It received the best-possible rating of “Good” in all of the IIHS’s crashworthiness evaluations except in the small-overlap front-impact test, where it received the second-highest score of “Acceptable.”
Standard Safety Features
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Front/Rear Disc Brakes with Anti-Lock Brake System
- Electronic Traction Control
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Electronic-Assist Parking Brake
- Rear View Camera
Related: Ford EcoSport SUV to join the lineup