2017 Ford F-150 Overview
Last year, Ford F-Series pickup trucks were the best-selling vehicles in the United States with 780,354 units moved. However, the American automaker was not satisfied with just offering the same truck again for the 2017 model year and has announced several updates regarding the new Ford F-150. Available in Regular Cab, SuperCab, and SuperCrew configurations, the Ford F-150 is still the only pickup truck that features an aluminum body. This unique design has shaved more than 500 pounds of weight from the truck, thus increasing the vehicle’s fuel efficiency, while also allowing it to utilize smaller turbo engines since there’s less weight to move. The 2017 F-150 competes for sales with the Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado 1500, and GMC Sierra 1500.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Ford F-150?
The F-150’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 motor has been redesigned for the 2017 model year and now provides additional horsepower and is also more fuel-efficient. That optional engine comes paired with an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission that Ford co-developed with General Motors, but the updates don’t stop there because the high-performance Raptor model also returns for the 2017 model year. The new F-150 Raptor features a high-output version of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that pumps out 450 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque.
2017 Ford F-150 Photos:
2017 Ford F-150 Exterior
The 2017 Ford-150 features a rugged and bold exterior design that’s highlighted by its massive front grille and eye-catching headlamps. A black front bumper and 17-inch steel wheels come standard on the entry-level XL trim, but there’s an available STX Appearance package that adds privacy glass, fog lamps, STX decals, and 20-inch machined-aluminum wheels with Flash Gray-painted pockets. Furthermore, the 2017 F-150 is available with the consumer’s choice of a 5.5-foot, 6.5-foot, or 8-foot bed, while exterior color options include Blue Jeans Metallic, Ingot Silver Metallic, and Race Red.
2017 Ford F-150 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 XL
- Automatic on/off headlamps with rain lamp wiper activated headlamps, Front black bumper, Daytime Running Lamps, Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler, Black grille surround, Black three-bar style grille with black nostrils, Halogen headlamps, Manual folding side mirrors
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 XLT
- Adds to or replaces features on XL: Front chrome bumper, Rear chrome bumper, Front body color fascia, Fog lamps, Black mesh grille insert, Chrome grille surround, Chrome three-bar style grille with chrome nostrils, Dual glass and power adjust side mirrors, Power lock tailgate, Rear fixed window with privacy tint
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 LARIAT
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: BoxLink™, Three-bar style chrome grille, LED Box Lighting, Auto dimming side mirrors (Driver’s Side), Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signal and LED security approach lamps, LED tailgate, Body-color wheel lip moldings, Rear Power sliding glass window with privacy tint and defroster (SuperCab and SuperCrew)
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor
- Adds to or replaces features on Lariat: Front performance bumper, Rear performance bumper, Flared front fenders with air extractors and flared pickup box outers, Grille with unique FORD block letters, Hood with air extractors, Two rear tow hooks, Integrated marker lights, Quad beam LED headlamps and LED taillamps with black surround, Cast aluminum running boards, Heavy duty skid plates, Unique wheel lip moldings
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch
- Adds to or replaces features on Raptor: Front accent-color end caps, Rear accent-color bumper, Accent-color mesh grille insert, LED mirror-mounted spotlights, Quad beam LED headlamps and LED taillamps, Remote tailgate release, Caribou step bars, Two-tone paint treatment
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on King Ranch: Rear body-color bumper, Front body-color end caps, Satin finish mesh grille insert, Three-bar style satin finish grille with chrome accent, Power deployable running boards, Side mirrors with chrome skull caps
Exterior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on Platinum: Black mesh grille insert, Bar-style grille with satin finish, Satin chrome door and tailgate door handles with body color bezel, Twin panel moonroof (SuperCrew)
2017 Ford F-150 Performance
The 2017 Ford-150 is offered with four powerful engine options. The standard motor is a naturally-aspirated 3.5-liter V6, which pumps out 282 horsepower and 253 lb-ft of torque. Also available with the new F-150 is a twin-turbocharged 2.7-liter V6 rated at 325 horsepower. However, for those truck drivers who won’t settle for anything less than eight cylinders, Ford also offers a 5.0-liter V8 that’s good for 385 ponies and 387 lb-ft of torque. Finally, for the most power possible, consumers should take a look at the redesigned 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that packs 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. That engine comes paired with the new 10-speed automatic transmission. Furthermore, when equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost motor, the 2017 Ford F-150 is capable of towing up to 12,200 pounds.
2017 Ford F-150 Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2017 Ford F-150 depends on each customer’s choice of powertrain option, body configuration, and whether or not they opt for the available payload package. The entry-level 2017 F-150 with rear-wheel drive and the 282-horsepower V6 yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. In contrast, the RWD Ford F-150 equipped with the 2.7-liter V6 motor yields the best efficiency of any ‘17 F-150 at 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. Moreover, the 2017 Ford F-150 comes standard with a 23-gallon fuel tank.
2017 Ford F-150 Interior
The 2017 Ford F-150 boasts a spacious cabin that provides seating for up to six people. The entry-level XL trim doesn’t offer much in terms of luxury amenities beyond its AM/FM radio and single-zone air conditioning system, but the LARIAT model comes generously equipped with premium features such as heated and cooled front seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, dual-zone climate control, and an 8-inch productivity screen, which can be used to access SYNC 3, as well as SiriusXM satellite radio. In addition, the 2017 Ford F-150 is also available with Ford’s Pro Trailer Backup Assist technology. This system lets the driver steer where an attached trailer is going by simply manipulating a knob that’s located on the dash.
2017 Ford F-150 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 XL
- Manual windows, Single-zone manual air conditioning, 2.3-inch productivity screen, Black vinyl floor covering, Deployable cupholder, Dome light, Fade-to-off interior lighting, Manual door locks, Outside temperature display, Day/Night rearview mirror, Black urethane steering wheel, Manual tilt/telescoping Steering wheel, Visors with passenger-side mirror, Front 40/20/40 cloth seats, Rear 60/40 flip up split bench seats with elongated cushion (SuperCrew), Rear 60/40 flip-up split bench seats (SuperCab), Auxiliary audio input jack, Dual-note horn, Intermittent windshield wipers, 12-volt front Powerpoint, 12-volt rear powerpoint (SuperCab and SuperCrew), AM/FM stereo
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 XLT
- Adds to or replaces features on XL: Power windows, Color-coordinated carpet with carpeted floor mats, Power door locks with flip key and integrated key transmitter keyless entry including auto-lock, Visors with driver- and passenger-side covered mirrors, Manual driver and passenger front seats, Cruise control, AM/FM with single-CD, SYNC® with AppLink™, SYNC®, MyKey®
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 LARIAT
- Adds to or replaces features on XLT: Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, Additional steering wheel controls, Ambient lighting, Intelligent access with push-button start, Overhead console (SuperCab and SuperCrew), Power-adjustable pedals with memory, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Heated and cooled 10-way power driver and front passenger seats, Black leather-wrapped steering wheel, Visors with driver- and passenger-side illuminated mirrors, Woodgrain-style interior trim accents, Front 40/20/40 leather-trimmed seats, 10-way power driver and front passenger seats, 8-inch productivity screen, Dynamic hitch assist, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, SYNC® 3
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor
- Adds to or replaces features on Lariat: Black carpet flooring with unique rubber front and rear floor mats, Flow-through center console with floor shift, Fully flat load floor (SuperCrew® models), Overhead console with six auxiliary upfitter switches, Sport style leather-wrapped steering wheel with thumb pads and paddle shifters, Unique Ford Performance aluminum scuff plates, Unique interior trim accents, 8-way power driver seat, 110-volt/400-watt conventional AC plug-in outlet, 4.2-inch productivity screen, Reverse Sensing System
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch
- Adds to or replaces features on Raptor: Color-coordinated carpet with carpeted King Ranch floor mats, Flow-through center console with floor shift, Fully flat load floor (SuperCrew models), Mesa leather-wrapped steering wheel, Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory and electronic locking, Unique genuine wood interior trim accents, heated and cooled 10-way power driver and passenger bucket seats, Leather trimmed front seats, Heated rear seats, 110-volt/400-watt conventional AC plug-in outlet, Reverse Sensing System, Universal garage door opener, Sony® AM/FM stereo with single-CD and HD Radio™, SYNC® Connect, Voice-activated Navigation with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link®
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on King Ranch: Automatic high beams, Black carpet flooring with unique front and rear floor mats, Black leather-wrapped steering wheel, Front Bucket seats with center flow-through console and unique multi-contour leather, Rain-sensing wipers
Interior available on the 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on Platinum: 360-Degree Camera with Split-View Display, Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support, Lane-Keeping System
2017 Ford F-150 Safety
The 2017 Ford F-150 is the only large truck to earn Top Safety Pick honors from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), as well as a five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). That safety rating from the IIHS applies to Ford-150 SuperCab and SuperCrew models equipped with the available Forward Collision Warning system. Other advanced safety equipment available with the new F-150 includes rear cross-traffic alert, lane departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, and adaptive cruise control.
Standard Safety Features
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC®)
- Front Driver and passenger airbags
- Front Driver and passenger seat-mounted side airbags
- Safety Canopy® side curtains airbags
- Curve Control
- Four-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- SecuriLock®passive anti-theft system
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Spare tire and wheel lock
- Safety belts – Active Restraint System (ARS), three-point manual lap/shoulder belts with height adjusters, pretensioners and energy management retractors on outside front positions
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.