2017 Ford Mustang Overview
The sixth-generation Ford Mustang continues to be a powerhouse among performance fans, seemingly only getting better with age. But comparing the 2017 Ford Mustang to a fine wine would be to undersell its harder and quintessentially American aspects. It might be more apt to say, instead, that driving the 2017 Mustang is akin to cracking open a barrel of 52-year-old whiskey and serving yourself a stiff one on the rocks, accompanied by an 18-ounce ribeye with a basket of steak fries. Drink it up.
Looking for Last Year’s Model? Information on the 2016 Ford Mustang
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Ford Mustang?
In the third iteration of the sixth-generation model, changes are few and far between for the 2017 Mustang. The most significant update would be the standardization of the Track Pack for the 2017 Shelby GT350 Mustang, adding an aluminum tower-to-tower brace; engine oil, transmission, and differential cooling systems; and high-downforce decklid spoiler.
The 2017 Shelby GT350 Mustang is also offered with an Electronics Package and Convenience Package. The Electronics Pack adds SYNC 3, voice-activated navigation, and nine-speaker audio system. The Convenience Package adds the contents of the Electronics Package plus leather-trimmed power sport seats.
The Shelby GT350R will be offered with an R-Electronics Package that adds nine-speaker audio.
Finally, and more broadly, the 2017 Mustang loses Deep Impact Blue and Competition Orange in favor of three new hues: Ruby Red Metallic, Lightning Blue, and Grabber Blue.
2017 Ford Mustang Photos:
2017 Ford Mustang Exterior
The 2017 Ford Mustang has everything that we have come to know and love about the original pony car, from the tri-bar tail lamps and shark-bite nose on the outside to the twin eyebrow dash and round gauges on the inside.
Ford has made no significant upgrades to the Mustang’s aesthetic from the 2016 model year, but as the saying goes: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. As ever, the 2017 Mustang is offered as both a fastback and as a convertible (V6, EcoBoost Premium, and GT Premium models).
Available colors include Race Red, Ingot Silver, Magnetic, Oxford White, Shadow Black, Triple Yellow, White Platinum, Ruby Red, Lightning Blue, and Grabber Blue (with the latter three colors being new additions for the 2017 model year). The Shelby GT350 Mustang and Shelby GT350R Mustang swap out Ingot Silver for Avalanche Gray.
2017 Ford Mustang fastback models are also available with either an Ebony Racing Stripe or Silver Racing Stripe, whereas the Mustang Convertible is only available with an Ebony Racing Stripe. The Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT350R are offered with a Lightning Blue with Black Racing Stripe, Black with White Racing Stripe, and White with Black Racing Stripe.
For the Mustang EcoBoost, Mustang EcoBoost Premium (fastback and convertible), and Mustang GT Premium (fastback and convertible), Ford offers either a Silver or Ebony Tape Stripe as part of the Wheel & Stripe Package.
All models above base are also offered with an optional Painted Black Roof. Convertible models are available with Black Cloth Roof.
Also worth noting: the Shelby GT350 is the first mass-produced vehicle to be offered with carbon-fiber wheels.
2017 Ford Mustang Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Mustang V6:
- 17-inch sparkle silver-painted aluminum wheels, Dual bright exhaust with slashed cut tips, HID headlamps with signature lighting, LED sequential taillamps, Body-color mirrors with integrated blind spot mirrors
Exterior available on Mustang EcoBoost:
- 18-inch Magnetic Gloss Painted Machined-Aluminum Wheel, Blade decklid spoiler, LED fog lamps, LED sequential taillamps, Dual bright exhaust with slashed cut tips, HID headlamps with signature lighting
Exterior available on Mustang EcoBoost Premium (additions to Mustang EcoBoost):
- Rear diffuser, Pony projection lights
Exterior available on Mustang GT:
- LED fog lamps, LED sequential taillamps, 18-inch Magnetic Gloss Painted Machined-Aluminum Wheel, Dual bright exhaust with rolled polished tips, Automatic headlamps with wiper activation, Raised blade decklid spoiler, Air extractor hood vents
Exterior available on Mustang GT Premium (additions to Mustang GT):
- Rear diffuser, Pony projection lights
Exterior available on Shelby GT350 Mustang:
- Automatic headlamps with wiper activation, Dual exhaust with active valves and quad tips, HID headlamps with signature lighting, Hood vent, LED sequential taillamps, Raised decklid spoiler, Rear diffuser, GT350 sill plates
Exterior available on Shelby GT350R Mustang:
- GT350R Ebony Black-painted carbon fiber wheel, Carbon fiber rear wing, Unique GT350 sill plates, Rear diffuser, LED sequential taillamps, Hood vent, HID headlamps with signature lighting, Dual exhaust with active valves and quad tips, Automatic headlamps with wiper activation
2017 Ford Mustang Performance
The 2017 Ford Mustang is available with four different engine options.
The Mustang V6 Fastback and Convertible are offered with the 3.7-liter V6, which generates 300 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. The V6 can be mated to either a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with paddle shifters.
The Mustang EcoBoost and Mustang EcoBoost premium are powered by the 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline-four, which puts out 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque. The EcoBoost can also be linked with either the standard six-speed manual or optional six-speed SelectShift.
The Mustang GT and Mustang GT Premium come with the legendary 5.0-liter V8, which creates 435 horses or 400 lb-ft of torque. The V8 is also available with either the manual or automatic transmission.
Finally, the Shelby GT350 Mustang and Shelby GT 350R Mustang come with the award-winning 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft “Voodoo” V8, which puts down 526 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque and is only available with the standard TREMEC six-speed manual.
Gallery: 2017 Shelby GT350 Mustang’s 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V8
2017 Ford Mustang Efficiency
The 2017 Ford Mustang is probably not going to sell based on its efficiency alone. However, the star of the lineup in this regard is the EcoBoost, which returns an EPA-estimated 21 mpg city/30 mpg highway/24 mpg combined with either the manual or the automatic transmission.
The V6 is steady at an EPA rating of 18 mpg city/27 mpg highway/21 mpg combined for either the automatic or the manual, and the GT’s 5.0-liter V8 returns 15 mpg city/25 mpg highway/18 mpg combined with the standard manual and 15 mpg city/24 mpg highway/18 mpg combined with the six-speed automatic.
The Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT350R are rated at 14 mpg city/21 mpg highway/16 mpg combined with the standard TREMEC six-speed manual.
2017 Ford Mustang Interior
The 2017 Ford Mustang’s interior feels like what you would expect the cockpit of a high-powered sports car to be: low, open, and with everything right at your fingertips. The Mustang offers amenities typical for modern Fords, including SYNC infotainment and Intelligent Access with Push Button Start, and the Track Apps function provides access to the GT’s optional Electronic Line-Lock and launch control (manual only) features.
For those looking for a stripped-down sports car experience, look no further than the Shelby GT350R, which cuts the radio, air conditioning, and back seat among others to drop weight for increased aerodynamics.
2017 Ford Mustang Interior Photos:
Interior available on Mustang V6:
- Manual climate control, Cupholders (2), Optional spare wheel and tire, 2-way manual front-passenger seat, 4-way manual driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped parking brake handle, Leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and audio controls and tilt and telescoping steering column, Cabin air filter, Two smart-charging USB ports, AM/FM stereo with single CD player and six speakers, SYNC, MyKey, Aluminum finish instrument cluster, Carpeted front floor mats, Intelligent Access with push-button start, Track Apps, 50/50 split folding rear seat (fastback only), Interior trunk release, Chrome-accent 4-gauge instrument cluster, Electronic locking center console (standard on convertible only)
Interior available on Mustang EcoBoost (additions to Mustang V6):
- Active noise cancellation, 6-way power front-passenger seat, 6-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar control, Optional RECARO cloth front sport seats with manual adjustment
Interior available on Mustang EcoBoost Premium (additions to Mustang EcoBoost):
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, Aluminum foot pedals, Ambient lighting, Illuminated sill plates, Leather-trimmed front bucket seats, SYNC® 3, 9-speaker sound system with amplifier, Leather-trimmed front seats, Heated and cooled front seats, Optional adaptive cruise control with collision warning and rain-sensing wipers, Universal garage door opener, SiriusXM® radio, Optional HD Radio, Electronic locking center console (standard on convertible only), 50/50 split folding rear seat (fastback only)
Interior available on Mustang GT (additions/subtractions to Mustang EcoBoost):
- Active Noise Cancellation delete
Interior available on Mustang GT Premium (additions/subtractions to Mustang EcoBoost Premium):
- Active Noise Cancellation delete
Interior available on Shelby GT350 Mustang:
- Manual climate control, Aluminum foot pedals, Cabin air filter, Cupholders (2), Carpeted front floor mats, Gray accent gauge cluster and register vents, Leather/Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel with tilt/telescoping steering column, Premium door trim – Miko Suede, Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors, RECARO cloth/Miko suede sport seats, Two smart-charging USB ports, AM/FM stereo with single CD player and 6 speakers, SYNC
Interior available on Shelby GT350R Mustang:
- Optional dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, Aluminum foot pedals, Cabin air filter, Cupholders (2), Gray accent gauge cluster and register vents, Intelligent Access with push-button start, Interior trunk release, Leather/Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel with tilt/telescoping steering column and Shelby red sightline, Leather-wrapped parking brake handle, Premium door trim – Miko Suede, Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors, RECARO cloth/Miko suede sport seats with red accents
2017 Ford Mustang Safety
The 2017 Ford Mustang carries over the 2016 model’s 5-Star Safety Rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as well as IIHS’ scores of “good” in its moderate overlap front, side, roof strength, and head restraints and seats crashworthiness tests.
Standard Safety Features:
- 3-point safety belt restraint system for all seating positions
- Glove box door integrated knee airbag
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Dual front airbags
- Front-seat side-impact airbags
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children)
- Rear view camera
- Safety Canopy® side-curtain airbags
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Individual tire pressure monitoring system
- Perimeter alarm
- Remote keyless entry system
- Securilock® passive anti-theft system
Awards for the Ford Mustang: Shelby GT350R Named Road & Track’s Performance Car of the Year
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.