2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Overview
The 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 is a light-duty pickup truck that carries a starting MSRP of $28,205. The new GMC Sierra 1500 is available in multiple cab configurations, as well as with three unique bed lengths, which makes the GMC Sierra one of the most customizable vehicles on the market. Also, with its ability to tow up to 12,500 pounds, there are few trucks that can match the Sierra’s combination of strong performance and relative affordability. Key competitors of the GMC Sierra 1500 include the RAM 1500, Ford F-150, and Chevy Silverado 1500.
What’s New for the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500?
A new automatic emergency braking feature will be offered with the Sierra 1500 for the 2017 model year. That advanced safety feature with be included with the Enhanced Driver Alert package, which GMC offers starting with the SLE and SLT trim levels. In addition, when equipped with the available 6.2-liter V8 engine, the 2017 GMC Sierra can tow up to 12,500 pounds. In comparison, the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 only offers a maximum trailering rating of 12,000 pounds.
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Photos:
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Exterior
The 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 features a rugged, yet sophisticated exterior design that makes it truly stand out in the light-duty pickup truck segment. Consumers can choose between short, standard, and long bed options, while the cabin also comes in regular cab, double cab, and crew cab variants. The entry-level Sierra comes with 17-inch painted wheels, a locking tailgate, solar absorbing tinted glass, and rear chrome bumper. In comparison, the top-level Denali model features full LED lighting, a huge chrome grille, and unique 20-inch bright machined-aluminum wheels. Exterior color options for the new GMC Sierra 1500 include Onyx Black, Cardinal Red, and Dark Slate Metallic.
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500
- CornerStep rear chrome bumper, Four upper cargo box tie-downs, Locking tailgate, Front chrome bumper, Black door handles, Solar absorbing tinted glass, Chrome grille surround, Manual-folding Black exterior mirrors, 17-inch P255/70R17 all-season tires, 17-inch painted steel wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
- Cargo box LED lighting, EZ-Lift and Lower tailgate, Remote Locking Tailgate, Body-colored door handles, Deep-tinted glass, Body-colored bodyside moldings, Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors, Rear wheelhouse liners, 17-inch premium painted aluminum machined wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
- LED tailamps; Heated, power-adjustable, and power-folding outside mirrors; Chrome door handles; Chrome bodyside moldings; Thin profile LED fog lamps; 18-inch polished aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
- IntelliBeam headlamps, Spray-on bedliner, Six-inch Chrome rectangular assist steps, Power rear sliding window with defogger, Body-color front bumper, Body-color rear bumper, 20-inch P275/55R20 all-season tires, 20-inch ultra bright machined aluminum wheels
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Performance
The 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 comes standard with a six-speed automatic transmission and 4.3-liter V6 engine that’s rated at 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque. For more pulling power, consumers can also opt for the available 5.3-liter V8 motor that pumps out 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. In fact, when equipped with the 5.3-liter V8, the 2017 Sierra 1500 can tow more than 11,000 pounds. However, for the most power possible, potential buyers will need the 6.2-liter V8 that supplies 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. That engine comes matched with an eight-speed automatic gearbox, which helps the truck reach its maximum trailering rating of 12,500 pounds.
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Efficiency
Each motor that’s offered with the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 comes with direct injection, variable valve timing, and Active Fuel Management technology. The latter can deactivate multiple cylinders inside the engine when they are not needed. These advanced technologies help the entry-level GMC Sierra 1500 achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy of 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. Moreover, truck buyers who go with the available 6.2-liter V8 and optional all-wheel drive will experience EPA-estimated efficiency of 15 mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway. The 2017 Sierra 1500 comes standard with a 26-gallon fuel tank, but a larger 34-gallon tank is available.
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Interior
The entry-level 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 offers basic luxury amenities such as single-zone air conditioning, cruise control, and an AM/FM radio system with a 4.2-inch display screen. However, after you get past the choice between vinyl or cloth seats, that’s where the luxury amenities for the most affordable version of new Sierra 1500 come to an end. In fact, consumers will have to step up to the SLE trim in order to get a rear-vision camera and power windows installed inside their truck. However, on the plus side, many online automotive reviewers have praised this truck’s smooth ride quality and quiet interior, which is aided by underfloor noise insulation. In contrast, buyers with enough cash for the Denali trim will be bathed in luxury features because the new Sierra 1500 Denali comes standard with a Bose premium sound system, leather upholstery, and genuine wood trim.
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500
- Single-zone manual air conditioning, Manual tilt steering column, Power windows, Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat, Power door locks, Cruise control; Driver Information Center; AM/FM stereo with 4.2-inch diagonal color display, USB port, and auxiliary jack
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
- Color-keyed carpet with rubberized vinyl floor mats, Remote Keyless Entry, Steering wheel audio controls, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Front 40/20/40 leather-appointed split-bench seat, Heated driver and front passenger seating, AM/FM/SiriusXM/HD audio system with 8-inch Diagonal Color Touchscreen with IntelliLink, USB ports, and auxiliary jack; Rear Vision Camera; Driver Information Center with 4.2-inch-diagonal color display; Bluetooth; OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot; HD radio; Single-slot CD/MP3 player
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
- Manual tilt and telescoping steering column, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Carpeted front and rear floor mats, Power-adjustable pedals, 110-volt AC power outlet, Remote vehicle starter system, Universal Home Remote, Theft-deterrent system
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
- Floor console, Heated steering wheel, Wireless charging, Front full-feature and leather-appointed bucket seats, Heated and vented seating, AM/FM/SiriusXM/HD audio system with 8-inch Diagonal Color Touchscreen with Navigation and IntelliLink, USB ports, and auxiliary jack; Lane Keep Assist; Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking; Front and Rear Park Assist; Forward Collision Alert; Safety Alert Seat; Hill Descent Control; Bose sound system
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Safety
The 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 in Crew Cab format earned the best possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In addition, every 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 comes standard with four-wheel antilock disc brakes, multiple airbags, and a tire pressure monitoring system. Also, new for the 2017 model year is the available automatic emergency braking system, which can automatically apply the vehicle’s brakes if it detects that a frontal collision is imminent. Other advanced safety features available with the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 include lane keep assist, forward collision alert, and GM’s new Safety Alert Seat technology.
Standard Safety Features
- Dual-stage frontal and seat mounted side-impact air bags for driver and front passenger and head curtain air bags for front and rear outboard seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system