2017 Hyundai Tucson Overview
The shape of an SUV but smaller in size, the compact Hyundai Tucson crossover is a wise compromise for families who want extra seating or cargo storage but not drive a gas-guzzler. The 2017 Hyundai Tucson is the second year in its third generation; its rivals include the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, and Toyota RAV4.
Family Values: Why the Tucson was named a top choice for families
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson?
Having entered its third generation last year, this year’s model receives minimal updates on the heels of its 2016 year refresh. Apart from some optional features becoming standard inclusions on lower trim levels and slight tweaks to the fuel efficiency estimates, everything else remains unchanged.
2017 Hyundai Tucson Photos:
2017 Hyundai Tucson Exterior
At 176 inches long and almost 73 inches wide, the Hyundai Tucson isn’t very large but wisely uses the space it has to feel spacious inside. The sloping lines and unique rear bumper design make the Tucson an attractive crossover with more sleek appeal than its competitors. The stretch front headlights and accentuated fender curves give it a sporty vibe.
The 2017 Tucson is available in colors such as Coliseum Gray, Caribbean Blue, Ruby Wine, Mojave Sand, and more.
2017 Hyundai Tucson Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:
- SE Trim: SACHS gas-pressurized shock absorbers, 17-inch alloy wheels, Dual fold-away heated power body color side mirrors, LED Center High-Mount Stop Light (CHMSL), Rear spoiler, Solar control glass, Privacy glass, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Automatic halogen projector headlights
- Eco Trim adds: Roof rack side rails, Premium front and rear fascias, Metallic painted side sills, Front windshield wiper de-icer (AWD only), Front fog lights, LED headlight accents, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Sport Trim adds: 19-inch Sport alloy wheels with 245/45HR19 tires, Hands-free Smart Liftgate, Side mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators, Proximity Key entry with push button start
- Limited Trim adds: Chrome door handles, Chrome front grille, Shark-fin antenna, LED headlights, LED taillights
2017 Hyundai Tucson Performance
Performance numbers for the 2017 Tucson are the same as last year’s model. The crossover achieves average horsepower and torque levels for its class and fuel efficiency.
The 2.0 liter inline four-cylinder engine earns 164 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque, while the 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder turbocharged engine raises that to 175 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque.
The redesigned Tucson has received praise for its handling and acceleration, which continues in this year’s model.
2017 Hyundai Tucson Efficiency
The Tucson SE, powered by a 2.0 liter inline four-cylinder engine and four-wheel drive, earns an estimated 23 mpg in the city, 30 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined. With all-wheel drive, those rates become 21/26/23 mpg city/highway/combined.
Taking a step up to the turbocharged 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder engine, the Eco reaches an estimated 26/32/28 mpg city/highway/combined in FWD, and 25/30/27 mpg with AWD.
Both the Sport and Limited, each paired to the same turbocharged 1.6-liter engine, earn 25/30/27 mpg city/highway/combined with FWD and 24/28/25 mpg with AWD.
All versions of the Tucson have a 16.4 gallon fuel tank capacity.
2017 Hyundai Tucson Interior
Despite being a lower-priced, smaller crossover than some of its competitors, the Tucson offers attractive materials in its cabin, including leather touches and illuminated controls. The Limited trim gives the Tucson an especially refined, premium appearance.
It comfortably seats five passengers, and the back row can be folded down for increased storage space (31 cubic feet expands to 61.9 cubic feet). Front leg room is almost 42 inches, while rear legroom is just over 38 inches.
You can add the optional Popular Package or Ultimate Package for additional perks.
2017 Hyundai Tucson Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:
- SE Trim: Power door locks, Cloth seating surfaces, YES Essentials cloth, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Rear reclining seat backs, Rear center armrest, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, Steering-wheel-mounted audio/cruise/Bluetooth controls, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, Smartphone/USB and auxiliary input jacks, AM/FM/SiriusXM/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers, 5-inch color touchscreen audio
- Eco Trim adds: Floor console-mounted rear vents, Power windows with driver’s auto-up/down with pinch protection, 8-way power driver seat with power adjustable lumbar support, Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
- Sport Trim adds: Heated front seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Blind Spot Detection (BSD), Rear Cross-traffic Alert, Lane Change Assist
- Limited Trim adds: 6-way power passenger seat, Leather seating surfaces, Premium instrument panel and driver’s side panel, Premium door sill plates, Dual front automatic temperature control, Blue Link Telematics System, Infinity Premium Audio with Clari-Fi Music Restoration Technology, HD Radio technology with multicasting, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, 8-inch touchscreen navigation, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink and compass
2017 Hyundai Tucson Safety
The latest Hyundai Tucson is filled with intuitive safety features–both standard and optional—on every trim. With the rearview camera standard on all levels this year, safety is a top priority for Hyundai.
While no crash test results have been released as of yet, the 2017 Tucson is bound to get top marks, considering little has changed from last year’s design that earned Top Safety Pick+ status from the IIHS and 5 Stars from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features:
- Driver’s Blind Spot Mirror
- Rearview Camera
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS) with Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Dual front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)
- Front and rear roof-mounted side-curtain airbags (SRS) with rollover sensors
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters
- Rear LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
- Power window lock-out button
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Remoteless keyless entry system with alarm
- Four-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
More Hyundai Models: Check out the best-selling Elantra… new and improved!