2017 Kia Sportage Overview
The 2017 model year marks the beginning of the fourth-generation of the Kia Sportage compact crossover. The 2017 Sportage offers a couple of four-cylinder engine choices and it comes with an entirely new exterior design. This year’s Sportage will compete for sales with the likes of the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Ford Escape.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Kia Sportage?
The 2017 Kia Sportage sports a flashier exterior that’s complete with new LED fog lamps. Additionally, it features upgraded fuel efficiency over last year’s offering. The 2017 Kia Sportage is offered in three trim levels: EX, LX, and SX Turbo.
2017 Kia Sportage Photos:
2017 Kia Sportage Exterior
The 2017 Kia Sportage comes with a much bolder and more aggressive design than before, which is sure to attract attention when exploring the city or cruising down the highway. Everything from the roofline to the front fascia has been redesigned, and the new Sportage is even 1.6-inches longer than last year’s version. The front of the vehicle features an eye-catching broad grille, while the front headlights actually sweep back into the vehicle’s hood. The 2017 Sportage comes standard with 17-inch alloy wheels and LED positioning lights. Exterior color options for the crossover include Hyper Red, Burnished Copper, and Clear White.
2017 Kia Sportage Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage LX
- 17-inch alloy wheels, Tire mobility kit, Matte Black/Bright Chrome front grille, Bright Chrome window trim, Body-color door handles, Rear spoiler, Power adjustable outside mirrors, Sound-absorbing front windshield glass, Privacy glass, Heated rear glass with timer, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Rear wiper/washer, Projector beam headlights, Auto light control, LED daytime running lights, Locking fuel-filler door
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage EX
- 18-inch alloy wheels, Gloss Black/Bright Chrome front grille, Bright Chrome door handles, Roof rails, Heated outside mirrors, Solar control glass, Windshield de-icer, Projector beam front fog lights
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo
- 19-inch alloy wheels, Space-saver spare tire, Gloss Black/Satin Chrome SX Exclusive design front grille, Satin Chrome window trim, Satin Chrome door handles, Satin Chrome side-sill trim, Power-folding outside mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators, Panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, Smart power liftgate, power liftgate with programmable height adjustment, Bi-Xenon HID projector beam headlights, Dynamic bending light with auto-leveling, High beam assist, LED front fog lights, LED rear combination lamps, Chrome dual-outlet exhaust finish
2017 Kia Sportage Performance
If you’re a fan of four-cylinder engines, then the 2017 Kia Sportage has got you covered. The standard engine for the new Sportage is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder that produces 181 horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque, while a more powerful turbocharged 2.0-liter is also available that pumps out 240 horsepower and 260 lb-ft or torque. Both four-cylinder motors are matched with a six-speed automatic transmission, and consumers can pick between front-wheel and all-wheel drive models.
2017 Kia Sportage Efficiency
The plus side of only offering a couple of humble four-cylinder engines is the 2017 Sportage doesn’t exactly suck down fuel. The FWD LX model yields the best EPA-estimated fuel economy of the group with 23 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway, while the AWD SX Turbo is good for 20 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. Every 2017 Kia Sportage comes standard with 16.4 gallons of fuel tank capacity.
2017 Kia Sportage Interior
The interior of the 2017 Kia Sportage offers more rear legroom than last year, and it also comes with the latest in-car technology, with one example being wireless phone charging. Each 2017 Sportage comes standard with a rear camera display, USB/auxillary input jack, air conditioning, and a 5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth capabilities. If that’s not enough luxury and entertainment, the top-level SX Turbo model comes with a 320-watt Harman Kardon audio system for music lovers. Furthermore, the SX Turbo trim features a larger infotainment system that is compatible with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. As for storage capabilities, the 2017 Kia Sportage has 30.7 cubic feet of storage space behind the rear seats.
2017 Kia Sportage Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage LX
- 12-volt power outlets, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Power windows with driver one-touch auto-down, Power door locks, Remote keyless entry, Air conditioning, Rear ventilation duct, Center console armrest with storage tray and cup holders, Front and rear door bottle holders, Day/night interior rear-view mirror, Interior lighting with delay off, illuminated glove box, Overhead sunglasses holder, Under-rear-cargo-floor storage compartment, Cargo light, Woven cloth seat trim, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, Driver and passenger seat back pockets, 60/40 split-folding rear seat back with 7-step recline, height-adjustable front seat-belt anchors, Leatherette door armrest, AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM® Audio System with 5″ Touch-Screen Display and 6 Speakers, BLUETOOTH® Wireless Technology Hands-Free Connectivity, Steering-Wheel-Mounted Audio and Hands-Free Phone Controls, Cruise Control with Steering Wheel Controls, Drive Mode Select, Active Eco System, USB/Auxiliary Input Jack, Trip Computer
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage EX
- Power windows with driver one-touch auto-up/down, Push-button start with smart key and immobilizer, Dual-zone automatic temperature control with auto de-fog system, rear center armrest with cup holders, Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Leather seat trim, 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Heated front seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob, UVO eServices with 7″ Color Touch-Screen Display with Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®, USB 2.1 Charger Port
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo
- Sport steering wheel, steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink, LED interior lighting, 8-way power-adjustable front passenger seat, Ventilated front seats, Heated steering wheel, Gloss Black interior trim, Alloy pedals, Metal door scuff plates, Harman/Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with External Amplifier & Subwoofer, Voice-Command Navigation System with 8″ Color Touch-Screen Display, SiriusXM® Traffic and HD Radio™, Parking Assist with Front and Rear Sensors, Blind-Spot Detection System with Lane-Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Departure Warning System, Autonomous Emergency Braking
2017 Kia Sportage Safety
The 2017 Kia Sportage crossover is made with 51% more advanced high-strength steel than last year’s model, which only utilized 18% in its design. Borrowed from the Hyundai Tucson, the body structure of the Sportage is lighter and stronger than before, which could help it in federal government crash tests. Last year, the AWD Sportage earned the best possible 5 star overall safety rating from the NHTSA, but the FWD version only earned four stars overall. The 2017 Kia Sportage is available with advanced safety technology, such as lane departure warning, high beam assist, front and rear parking assist, front collision warning, pedestrian detection, and autonomous emergency braking.
Standard Safety Features
- Dual Front Advanced Airbags
- Dual Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Full-Length side Curtain Airbags
- Rollover Sensor
- 3-Point Seat Belts with Front Seat-Belt Pretensioners
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes with Antilock Braking System
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Electronic Brake-Force Distribution
- Brake Assist System
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Downhill Brake Control
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
- Side-Impact door Beams
- Front and Rear Crumple Zones
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Rear Child-Safety Door Locks
- Rear Camera Display
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.