2017 Volvo S60 Overview
Even though the current Volvo S60 sedan made its debut for the 2010 model year, this car has aged well, which has been proven by its recent Top Safety Pick+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). On top on its safe and stylish design, the 2017 Volvo S60 also comes with a high-tech interior, powerful turbocharged engine choices, and an available all-wheel drive system that makes the Volvo S60 capable of driving in even severe weather conditions. What’s more, with its starting MSRP of $33,950, it undercuts many of its European rivals in the luxury compact sedan segment. The 2017 Volvo S60 competes for sales with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Audi A4, and Acura TLX.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Volvo S60?
Volvo no longer offers its five-cylinder and V6 engines for the S60 sedan. Instead, each 2017 S60 comes with the buyer’s choice of either a turbocharged four-cylinder motor or a four-pot that’s both turbocharged and supercharged. Also new for the 2017 model year is that the entry-level version of the S60 is available with the brand’s all-wheel drive system.
2017 Volvo S60 Photos:
2017 Volvo S60 Exterior
Even though the 2017 Volvo S60 comes with a stylish and sleek exterior design, this sedan still leans towards the modest and tasteful side of compact car styling. While newer Volvo models, such as the XC90 and S90, come equipped with Thor’s Hammer headlights, the smaller S60 uses xenon headlights for the base model. In addition, the entry-level 2017 S60 comes standard with LED daytime running lights, a moonroof, and 18-inch alloy wheels. Furthermore, the Inscription trim has a three-inch longer wheelbase that lengthens the sedan’s elegant roofline, while also opening up for space in the interior for rear passengers. Also, the S60 is available in an off-road focused Cross Country model that adds 2.5 inches of ground clearance.
2017 Volvo S60 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic
- Side mirrors with integrated turn signals, 18-inch Tucan Diamond Cut/Glossy Black Alloy Wheels, Variable intermittent wipers, Rear defogger
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Inscription
- 18-inch Titania alloy wheels, Rear chrome bumper, LED license Plate light
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 R-Design
- Power sunroof, Rear spoiler, Xenon HID headlights, 19-inch Ixion Alloy Wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Cross Country
- Neso 18-inch Diamond Cut Alloy wheels, 7.9-inch Ground Clearance, Glossy Black Side Window Trim and Exterior Mirror Caps, Honeycomb Grille, Sill Plates, Skid Plate, Dual Integrated Tailpipes, Heated Power Adjustable Exterior Mirrors
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar
- 20-inch Polestar-exclusive alloy wheels with performance summer tires, Dual-integrated tailpipes, Heated washer nozzles, Heated windshield, Power-adjustable/retractable and auto-dimming heated side mirrors, Windshield ticket holder, Rain-sensing windshield wipers, Daytime Running Lights
2017 Volvo S60 Performance
If you thought Volvo’s decision to discontinue the five-cylinder and V6 engines meant the S60 sedan would come with less power, then you have another thing coming. That’s because the 2017 Volvo S60 comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that cranks out 240 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. That turbo-four works with an eight-speed Geartronic automatic transmission that sends power to the front wheels, unless the buyer opts for the all-wheel-drive system, which is now available on every model. The only exception is the Inscription trim, as it comes standard with all-wheel drive. Speaking of the Inscription model, it features a more powerful four-cylinder motor that’s both turbocharged and supercharged in order to supply 302 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. The might engine also works with the eight-speed auto, which helps the car zip from 0 to 60 mph in less than six seconds. Not to be outdone, the S60 Polestar features a turbocharged four-pot that brings 362 horsepower.
2017 Volvo S60 Efficiency
Fuel economy estimates for the 2017 Volvo S60 hinge on the customer’s choice of engine, as well as their selection of either front-wheel or all-wheel drive. With the 240-horsepower engine and front-wheel drive, the new Volvo S60 yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 25 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, but those figures fall to 23 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway with the all-wheel-drive system. In contrast, the top-level Inscription trim with the supercharged engine and standard AWD is good for 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway. What’s more, every 2017 Volvo S60 comes with a 17.8 gallon gas tank.
2017 Volvo S60 Interior
The 2017 Volvo S60 comes with an elegant and spacious cabin that’s complete with high-quality materials throughout, as well as an abundance of tech features. People who’ve had the chance to sit inside the new Volvo S60 have raved about its driver’s seat that remains comfortable and supportive even during extended road trips. Another highlight of the interior is the available 12-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, but that feature only comes with the Inscription trim. However, if you only have money for the most affordable model, you’ll still get leather upholstery, a seven-inch touchcreen system, and automatic climate control, as well as a trunk that provides 12-cubic-feet of cargo space.
2017 Volvo S60 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic
- Eight-way power seating, Cloth seating with front bucket seats, Dual-zone auto climate control with air filtration, Three-spoke Leather Steering Wheel with Deco Inlays, Milled Aluminum Inlays, AM/FM eight speaker system, Speed-sensitive volume control, Satellite radio, Bluetooth, On Call telecommunications
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Inscription
- Linear Walnut wood inlays, Contour seats, Accent lighting, Air Quality System (IAQS), Power sunblinds, Inscription badging, Three-spoke Leather Steering Wheel with Deco Inlays, Milled Aluminum Inlays, Electrical Power Steering System, Available Speed Sensitive Steering (AWD only), Rear Park Assist with Camera
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 R-Design
- R-Design Sport Leather/Perforated Leather Seats, Hands-free entry, R-Design steering wheel, Electro-chromatic rearview mirror, R-Design Inlays, Navigation with voice activation, Real-time traffic
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Cross Country
- Rear Window Defroster, Power Glass Moonroof, Keyless Drive, HomeLink® Integrated Garage Door Opener, Auto Up/Down Power Windows, Electric Folding Rear Headrests, Audio Controls in Steering Wheel, Auto Dimming Rear View Interior and Exterior Mirrors, Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, Temporary Spare and Jack, Power Retractable Rear View Mirrors, Puddle Light, Trip Computer, Park Assist Camera, Park Assist Rear, Tilt Steering Wheel, Rain Sensor, Pollen Filter, Electronic Climate Control, Power Driver’s Seat, Power Front Passenger’s Seat, Power Lumbar Support, Sport Leather Seating, 3-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel w/Deco Inlays, Illuminated and Leather Gaiter Gearshift Knob, High-level Interior Illumination, Textile Floor Mats, Intelligent Driver Information System (IDIS), Harman Kardon Premium Sound System, Sensus Connect w/6-Month Complimentary Subscription, Single CD DVD Player, Auxiliary Audio Input (AUX Connector), USB and iPod Function, Sensus Navigation w/Map Care, Voice Control, Volvo On-Call with 6-Month Complimentary Subscription, Bluetooth Hands Free w/Audio Streaming, HD Radio® & Sirius® Satellite XM Radio
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar
- Heated front and rear seats, Flat-folding front passenger seat, Folding two-split 60/40 rear seat, Fully adjustable sport front seats, Power driver seat with memory, Power-folding rear head restraints (outer positions), Power front passenger seat, Power lumbar support, Polestar Nubuck textile/perforated leather seat trim, Adjustable rear air vents, Interior Quality Air System, Electronic climate control, Power glass moonroof, Tinted windows, Front door panel storage pockets, Illuminated lockable glovebox, Rear center armrest with cupholders and storage, Versatile front center armrest, Ambient temperature gauge, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Center display, Cruise control, Illuminated vanity mirror, Interior lighting, Power parking brake, Power windows, Rearview camera, Heated steering wheel, Illuminated gearshift knob, Polestar carbon fiber inlays, Sport pedals, Grocery bag holder, Rear seat load hatch, Cargo load securing loops, Adaptive Driver Display, Sensus Connect, Sensus Navigation, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Trip computer, Volvo On Call, Audio streaming via Bluetooth®, 12-speaker premium sound system by Harman Kardon, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with six-month subscription, Steering wheel audio controls, Front and rear park assist, Park Assist Pilot, Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist
2017 Volvo S60 Safety
Like many Volvo vehicles, the 2017 S60 sedan was named a Top Safety Pick+ by the IIHS and also earned the NHTSA’s best possible safety rating of five stars. Besides coming standard with typical safety features like stability and traction control, multiple airbags, and anti-lock brakes, the Volvo S60 also comes standard with advanced technology like its low-speed collision warning system. In addition, Volvo offers a Technology package, which adds lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and an enhance forward collision warning system. On top of all of that, there’s also the available Vision package that throws in front and rear parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert.
Standard Safety Features
- Advanced airbags
- ABS with Emergency Brake Assist
- Anti-theft system
- Traction Control
- Stability Control
- Daytime Running Lights
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Emergency Service
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)
- LATCH child safety system