2017 Volvo XC90 Overview
The 2017 Volvo XC90 is a mid-size luxury SUV that carries a starting MSRP of $45,750. The Volvo XC90 underwent an extensive redesign two years ago and has since been rewarded with numerous industry awards, including being named SUV of the Year by Motor Trend. Available in front-wheel or all-wheel drive, the ‘17 Volvo XC90 can fit up to seven people inside its luxurious cabin and also comes standard with a plethora of advanced safety features. Key competition for the Volvo XC90 includes the Acura MDX, Mercedes-Benz GLS, and BMW X5.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2017 Volvo XC90?
The entry-level Volvo XC90 now comes standard with full LED lighting and an 8-inch driver’s display, while higher-level models are now compatible with Apple CarPlay smartphone integration. In addition to those updates, the 2017 Volvo XC90 also offers Run-off Road Protection technology, which works by automatically tightening the seat belt so the seat cushions can absorb impact energy if the SUV leaves the road. Also, the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 plug-in hybrid now features a new range-topping Excellence trim, but the XC90 T8 is reviewed separately.
2017 Volvo XC90 Photos:
2017 Volvo XC90 Exterior
The 2017 Volvo XC90 features an attractive and tasteful exterior design, with its most distinguishing feature being its boxy front end. As previously mentioned, the new Volvo XC90 boasts full LED lighting for the 2017 model year, which includes “Thor’s Hammer” LED running lights. The ‘17 Volvo XC90 also comes standard with a panoramic sunroof, roof rails, and 18-inch alloy wheels, but larger wheels are available on higher end models. Exterior color options include Magic Blue Metallic, Osmium Grey Metallic, and Crystal White Metallic.
2017 Volvo XC90 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum
- 18-inch five-spoke Sparkling Silver alloy wheels, Full LED headlights with Active Bending Lights and Auto Highbeam, Thor’s Hammer DRL, Foglights, Heated mirrors, Panoramic sunroof, Roof rails, Hands-free power tailgate
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design
- 20-inch five-spoke Tech Matte Tech Grey Diamond Cut alloy wheels, Full LED headlights with Active Bending Lights and Auto Highbeam, Thor’s Hammer DRL, R-Design lower front spoiler, R-Design front grille, R-Design silk metal window trim, R-Design dual integrated tail pipes, R-Design badging
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 Inscription
- 20-inch 10-spoke Tinted Silver Diamond Cut alloy wheels, Full LED headlights with Active Bending Lights and Auto Highbeam, Thor’s Hammer DRL, Illuminated sill plates, “Inscription” badging, Headlight high-pressure cleaning, Integrated aluminum roof rails, Silver matte front grille, Chrome accents on rear fascia
2017 Volvo XC90 Performance
The 2017 Volvo XC90 comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged motor that pumps out 250 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. However, if you opt for the T6 version of the Volvo XC90, then you’ll get a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that’s both supercharged and turbocharged. This upgraded engine provides up to 316 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Both of these engines work with an eight-speed automatic transmission. In addition, the new XC90 SUV can tow up to 5,000 pounds and Volvo even estimates that it can zip from 0 to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds, but that’s when it’s equipped with the upgraded engine.
2017 Volvo XC90 Efficiency
Fuel economy for the 2017 Volvo XC90 varies depending on the driver’s choice of engine and powertrain configuration. The front-wheel drive Volvo XC90 equipped with the base engine provides an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. However, when that base engine is matched with all-wheel drive, fuel efficiency dips slightly to 25 mpg on the highway. When equipped with the optional supercharged and turbocharged engine, the 2017 Volvo XC90 yields 20 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway. In addition, every 2017 Volvo XC90 comes standard with an 18.8 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Volvo XC90 Interior
The 2017 Volvo XC90 comes with a spacious and luxurious cabin that’s packed full of creature comforts such as matte-finish wood, leatherette upholstery, and a 9-inch Sensus touchscreen, which gives the driver access to a GPS navigation system, smartphone integration, and Bluetooth phone connectivity. Additional standard features include four-zone climate control and a 10 speaker audio package, but for those audiophiles who can’t do without the best sound system possible, Volvo offers a 19-speaker Bowers & Wilkins sound system as a stand-alone option. As far as cargo space, the new Volvo XC90 provides 15.8 cubic feet of storage space behind the rear seats. But, those rear seats can be folded down to supply more than 85 cubic feet of cargo room.
2017 Volvo XC90 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum
- Heated front seats, 40/20/40-split second-row seats, Leather upholstery, Leather steering wheel with Deco inlay, Cross Brushed Aluminum inlays, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Driver seat memory settings, Leather gearshift knob, Eight-inch driver display, Navigation system, Voice controls, Bluetooth® phone and audio connectivity, Smartphone app integration, Satellite radio with a 10-speaker sound system, Rear Park Assist, Rear Park Assist Camera
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design
- R-Design perforated leather three-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters, Metal Mesh Aluminum inlays, Digital gauge cluster display, Upgraded leather sport seats, High-level interior illumination, Charcoal Nubuck and Nappa Leather in Charcoal interior, Illuminated tread plates, Charcoal Headliner, R-Design front and rear floor mats, Front seat power cushion extension, R-Design pedals, R-Design illuminated gearshift knob, Eight-inch driver display, HD radio w Sirius™ Radio, 12.3-inch digital instrument display, Park Assist Camera, Park Assist Rear, AUX and USB connection, Navigation-Pro, Apple CarPlay and USB Hub, Rear Park Assist, Rear Park Assist Camera
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 Inscription
- Nappa leather interior, Linear walnut wood inlays, Leather steering wheel with Deco inlays, Heated and ventilated front seats, Four-zone electronic climate control, “Inscription” mats, Rear Sun curtains, Leather gearshift knob, 12-inch driver display, 12.3-inch digital instrument display, HD radio w Sirius™ Radio, Cruise control, AUX and USB connection, Navigation-Pro, Park Assist Camera, Apple CarPlay and USB hub, Rear Park Assist, Rear Park Assist Camera
2017 Volvo XC90 Safety
Every 2017 Volvo XC90 SUV comes standard with traction and stability control, a rearview camera, antilock brakes, lane departure warning, and Volvo’s City Safety System. Other advanced safety technology available with the Volvo XC90 includes blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, park assist pilot, rear cross-traffic alert, lane keeping assist, and a surround-view parking camera system. In 2016, the Volvo XC90 earned a Top Safety Pick+ rating from the IIHS and a five-star overall safety rating from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features
- Antilock brakes
- Stability and traction control
- Front-seat side-impact and full-length side curtain airbags
- Anti-whiplash front seats
- Rearview camera
- Automatic braking for frontal-crash mitigation
- Frontal-collision warning
- Run-off Road Protection
- Road Sign Information
- Rear Park Assist
- City Safety Collision Avoidance Technology
- Driver Alert Control
- Electronic Stability Control
- Lane Departure Warning
- Roll Stability Control
- Whiplash Protection System
- Side Impact Protection System
- ISOFIX/Latch Attachment System
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.