2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Overview
While it may often be overlooked for its similarly-named counterpart, the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is a snazzy, exciting upgrade to the basic, family-oriented Santa Fe crossover. For a little extra money, the Santa Fe Sport delivers a premium interior, performance enhancements, and overall engaging driving experience. It’s so hip, even the pope drives one.
Model Research: Information on Hyundai’s other SUVs
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport?
While this isn’t a year for redesign, the latest Santa Fe Sport does get a couple welcomed updates. Making the most popular features more accessible to buyers, Hyundai now offers a Value Package to base models for under $2,000. This adds points like a proximity key, push-button start, heated side mirrors, and auto-up/down windows. Other enhancements include the addition of wood trim on leather-equipped models and improvements to the Blue Link interface.
The 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is available in three trims: Sport, Sport 2.0T, and Sport 2.0T Ultimate. All wheel drive (AWD) is available on all three trims.
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Exterior
The Santa Fe Sport is a traditional crossover design with a streamlined body that measures 185 inches in length. It bears the same body lines that the standard Santa Fe does, apart from some wheel, light, and trim enhancements. Its wheelbase stretches 106.3 inches and its height is 66.1 inches (which can be extended further with a roof rack). There is no shortage of colors to personalize your Santa Fe Sport in; the manufacturer offers nearly 10 different body colors in a rainbow of shades, from Canyon Copper to Marlin Blue to Serrano Red.
Exterior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Base Trim Adds: Body-color dual power manual-folding side mirrors, Body-color rear spoiler with LED Center High-Mount Stop Light (CHMSL), Chrome door handles, Projector headlights with LED accents, Automatic headlight control
- Sport 2.0T Adds: Chrome twin-tip exhaust, Roof side rails, Heated side mirrors, Side mirror turn-signal indicators, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Proximity Key entry with push button start, Hands-free Smart Liftgate with auto open
- Sport 2.0T Ultimate Adds: HID headlights with LED accents, Premium exterior lower door trim, LED taillights
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Performance
Living up to its name, the basic Sport comes with a standard engine with sprightly performance: an in-line four-cylinder motor with six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC. It earns 185 horsepower and 178 lb-ft of torque. Of course, if you’re opting for a sportier ride, give in and go for the upgraded 2.0-liter GDI four-cylinder twin-scroll turbo engine that nearly doubles performance at 185 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. You’ll find it in both the 2.0T and 2.0T Ultimate trims.
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Efficiency
The Santa Fe Sport may be lively, but it doesn’t forgo practicality, especially when it comes to efficiency. The basic engine earns an EPA-estimated 21/27 mpg city/highway; if upgraded from FWD to AWD, fuel economy is closer to 20/26 mpg city/highway. Even with its upgraded engine, the Santa Fe Sport maintains respectable fuel economy: 20/27 mpg city/highway with FWD and 19/24-26 mpg city/highway with AWD.
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Interior
Apart from what’s under the hood, it’s the inside of the Santa Fe Sport that sets it apart. The 2.0T and Ultimate trims provide beige, black, or grey leather seating surfaces that improve the base model’s cloth surfaces (which can be upgraded to leather with the Premium Package). Wood accents are a fine addition for premium buyers. Five friends or family members will fit in the Santa Fe Sport and enjoy the 41.3 inches of legroom in the front or 39.4 inches in the back row. Shoulder room is equally spacious at 58.3 inches in the back seats. In total, interior volume is 108 cubic feet for passengers and 35.4 cubic feet for cargo, which can be extended to 71.5 cubic feet with the rear seats folded.
Interior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Base Trim Adds: YES Essentials® stain-resistant cloth, Five-passenger seating, Seatback pockets, 40/20/40 split-folding second-row bench seat, Center armrest with storage compartment, Cargo area under floor storage, Power door locks, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, Sunvisors with illuminated vanity mirrors and extensions, Illuminated ignition, 12-volt power outlets; Bluetooth® hands-free phone system; Steering-wheel-mounted audio, cruise and Bluetooth® controls; AM/FM/CD/MP3 six-speaker audio system; Smartphone/USB and auxiliary input jacks; 5-inch audio system display
- Sport 2.0T Adds: Dual front automatic temperature control with CleanAir Ionizer, Leather seating surfaces, Eight-way power driver seat with four-way power lumbar support, Six-way power front passenger seat with power height adjustment, Heated front seats, Sliding second-row seats with cargo area releases, Premium door sill plates, Premium wood-finish interior trim, Power windows with driver and passenger auto-down/up, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Manual rear side window sunshades, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, Electroluminescent gauge cluster with color LCD multi-information display, Blue Link® Telematics System, Blue Link® Connected Care Package (three-year complimentary service), Blue Link® Remote Package (three-year complimentary service), AM/FM/SiriusXM Satellite Radio/CD/HD RadioTM/MP3 six-speaker audio system, HD RadioTM technology with multicasting, Android AutoTM, Apple CarPlayTM, 7-inch audio system display
- Sport 2.0T Ultimate Adds: Panoramic sunroof, Integrated Memory Systems (IMS) for driver seat and side mirrors, Heated second-row seats, Ventilated front seats, Heated steering wheel, Blue Link® Guidance Package (three-year complimentary service), 12-speaker Infinity® Premium Audio with QuantumLogic® Surround and Clari-FiTM Music Restoration Technology, Eight-inch navigation touchscreen
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Safety
As the 2018 Santa Fe Sport was just released, crash test results have not yet been disclosed. Looking back at least year’s model, which was near-identical, the model has had a track record of receiving top marks from the NHTSA in the form of a five-star overall safety rating. Expect to see the same results for 2018. The available Tech Package adds a plethora of the latest innovations for well under $2,000. This includes extensions like Dynamic Bending Light, Smart Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, and auto-leveling headlights.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Rearview camera
- Four-wheel, four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force
- Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Downhill Brake Control (DBC)
- Driver’s knee airbag (SRS)
- Roof-mounted side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors (SRS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
- Second-row LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
Updates for 2018: Hyundai debuts its redesigned Sonata
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.