2018 Mazda CX-9 Overview
At the top of the Mazda lineup is the three-row flagship crossover, the 2018 CX-9, nicely updated for the new model year, and available with the very best that the brand has to offer.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda CX-9?
For 2018, like much of the Mazda lineup, the CX-9 is getting several upgrades for a small price bump. The starting MSRP is now $32,130, up $610 from the 2017 model. For that $600 increase, the CX-9 gets various newly standard features, such as Smart City Brake Support, which is the brand’s low-speed automatic braking system, as well as Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, and G-Vectoring Control.
The CX-9 is also getting an improved second row of seats, better sound insulation, and a smattering of standard and available features spread across its trim levels (which you can get more details on here).
2018 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Exterior
The 2018 CX-9’s exterior is carried over from 2017, which means it still benefits from the brand’s KODO: Soul of Motion design language on a three-row crossover. The CX-9 is the brand’s flagship, and comes in a selection of stately colors, including a number of black, white, and silver colors, as well as the trademark Soul Red and Deep Crystal Blue Metallic.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- LED Headlights with auto off and auto height control, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED Combination taillights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated LED turn signal lamps, Dual exhaust outlets, 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- LED Headlights with auto on/off and auto height control, High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Heated side mirrors, Power rear liftgate with programmable height adjustment
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- LED fog lights, Adaptive front lighting system, Windshield wiper de-icer, Chrome lower body molding, Aluminum roof rails in satin chrome finish, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- LED grille accent lighting
2018 Mazda CX-9 Performance
The 2018 CX-9 is powered by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder SKYACTIV-G engine, which produces 227 hp on unleaded fuel or 250 hp on premium, and 310 lb-ft of torque. This engine is connected to a six-speed automatic transmission with either a front-wheel drive or i-ACTIV all-wheel drive system.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Efficiency
The 2018 CX-9, when equipped with front-wheel drive, delivers 22 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. These numbers drop a little bit when switched to the all-wheel drive to 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Interior
The CX-9 holds up to seven passengers across three rows of seating, with a 60/40-split-folding second row and 50/50-split-folding third row for total passenger volume of 135.1 cubic feet. With the seats folded, the CX-9 has a maximum space of 71.2 cubic feet, with 38.2 cubic feet with the just the third row folded, and 14.4 cubic feet with all the seats up.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- Three-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Six-way manual adjusted driver’s seat, Four-way manual front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining second-row seats with tilt and slide third-row access, 50/50 split fold-down third-row seats, Cloth trimmed seating, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Push-button start; Two 12-volt power outlets; 7-inch full-color touchscreen display; AM/FM/HD Radio™ audio system with automatic level control and six speakers; Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability; MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System; Aha™, Pandora® , and Stitcher™ internet radio integration; Auxiliary-audio input jack; Dual USB audio input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Auto dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Power front passenger seat, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed seats (first and second-row outboard seating positions)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, 8-inch full-color touchscreen display, Four-port USB input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, LED accent lighting, Genuine aluminum interior trim, Second-row retractable window sunshades, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and 2-position memory, Heated second-row seats, Heated steering wheel
- Bose® Centerpoint 2® Surround Sound audio system with AudioPilot and 12 speakers, HD Radio™, Mazda Navigation System
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- Genuine Rosewood inlays, Nappa leather-trimmed seats (first and second-row outboard seating positions), Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
2018 Mazda CX-9 Safety
Like the rest of the Mazda lineup (minus the MX-5 Miata, which hasn’t been crash tested, likely due to its status as a small sports car), the CX-9 comes with impressive crash test ratings, earning the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety’s top award of Top Safety Pick+, meaning it scored top marks in all crash tests, had a “Superior”-rated front crash prevention system, and “Adequate”-rated headlights.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda CX-9
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System and Trailer Stability Assist
- Rearview camera
- Roll Stability Control
- Hill Launch Assist
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
- LATCH Second-row seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.