2019 Hyundai Veloster Overview
After a one-year suspension, the 2019 Hyundai Veloster has returned, newly redesigned and better than ever, with a new face, more powerful engines, and improved features, while still keeping the older version’s quirky 1+2 door style.
More From Hyundai: The Sonata Hybrid is now giving you more features for a lower MSRP
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2019 Hyundai Veloster?
After a brief hiatus during the 2018 model year where Hyundai carried over the 2017 model, the 2019 Hyundai Veloster is fully redesigned, with a full spread of subtle changes to update the styling, add a new base engine, a more powerful turbo engine, and better technology.
2019 Hyundai Veloster Photos:
2019 Hyundai Veloster Exterior
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster continues the model’s tradition of subverting the usual two-door coupe body style by offering one door on the driver’s side and two on the passenger’s side. Hyundai’s sporty hatchback has a new exterior look, but continues to be offered in an array of interesting colors, including Ultra Black, Chalk White, Sonic Silver, Thunder Gray, Space Gray, and our personal favorites, Sunset Orage and Racing Red.
2019 Hyundai Veloster Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster 2.0
- Projector headlights; Automatic headlight control; LED Daytime Running Lights; Heated, dual power, body color, manual folding mirrors; Rear spoiler with LED Center High Mount Stop Lamp; Rear diffuser; Tinted glass; Two-speed variable intermittent front windshield with mist function; One speed rear wiper
Exterior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
- Wide sunroof
Exterior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec
- LED headlights, Rear LED taillights, High Beam Assist
Exterior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
- Side mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators
Exterior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate
- Black two-tone roof, Rain sensing wipers
2019 Hyundai Veloster Performance
The 2019 Veloster comes with one of two engines depending on the trim level.
On Veloster 2.0 and 2.0 Premium models, the engine is a 2.0-liter inline-four-cylinder, producing 147 horsepower and 132 lb-ft of torque.
On Veloster Turbo, Turbo Ultimate, and Turbo R-Spec models, that engine is replaced by a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, which makes 201 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque.
2019 Hyundai Veloster Efficiency
The 2019 Veloster offers slightly differing fuel economy based on the engine and whether it is equipped with a manual or automatic transmission. For quick reference, the Veloster in the city makes an EPA-estimated 25 mpg at the low end and 28 mpg at the high end, and on the highway makes 33 mpg at the low end and 34 mpg at the top.
For more specifics, the EPA offers these figures:
- 0-liter four-cylinder with a six-speed manual: 25/33/28 mpg city/highway/combined
- 0-liter four-cylinder with a six-speed automatic: 27/34/30 mpg city/highway/combined
- 6-liter four-cylinder with a six-speed manual: 26/33/29 mpg city/highway/combined
- 6-liter four-cylinder with a seven-speed automatic: 28/34/30 mpg city/highway/combined
2019 Hyundai Veloster Interior
The 2019 Veloster offers a unique interior arrangement, with easier access to the back seat due to the second passenger door, and 19.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seat (which Hyundai is quick to point out is more than offered in the Mini Cooper, Mini Clubman, and VW Beetle), with more if the seats are folded. While up, the Veloster has seating for four.
As for technology, the Veloster gets a number of enhanced available features, including an Infiniti Premium Audio System with eight speakers, wireless device charging, and Blue Link® Connected Services for three years, including Blue Link inside rearview mirror.
2019 Hyundai Veloster Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster 2.0
- Premium cloth; Six-way adjustable driver seat with seat height adjustment; Front passenger seat slide/recline; 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback with fixed head restraints; Rear cup holders and storage console; Roof-mounted shark fin antenna; Speed-sensitive automatic volume control; Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror with extension; Air conditioning; Cabin air filter; Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel; Steering-wheel-mounted audio, Bluetooth® and cruise controls; Power windows with driver’s auto-down, front illuminated power-window switches, Driver’s blind spot mirror
- 7-inch color touchscreen audio, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, 3.5-inch Mono TFT instrument cluster
Interior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
- Cloth insert with leather bolsters, Heated front seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Automatic temperature control with auto defogging, Proximity key entry with push button start
- 8-inch color touchscreen audio, Infinity® Premium Audio System with external amp and eight speakers including subwoofer, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with voice recognition, Blue Link® Connected Care and Remote Package, Wireless Charging Pad, 4.2-inch color TFT instrument cluster, Blind-Spot Collision Warning, Rear Cross-traffic Collision Warning
Interior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec
- R-Spec unique premium cloth, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback with adjustable head restraints, Active Engine Sound, Alloy pedals
Interior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
- Power lumbar adjust for driver’s seat, Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel
Interior features available on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate
- Leather seating surfaces
- 8-inch touchscreen navigation, HD Radio™, Blue Link® Guidance Package, Heads-up Display, Smart Cruise Control (DCT only), Forward Collision-advance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
2019 Hyundai Veloster Safety
The 2019 Veloster also comes with a number of driver-assist and active safety systems, crucially including standard Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, the brand’s automatic braking system.
The Veloster also makes use of a safety system unique to Hyundai: Driver Attention Warning, which uses a number of factors to detect when the driver is becoming careless or fatigued, and displays a warning.
Standard Safety Features on the 2019 Hyundai Veloster
- Forward Collision-avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAA)
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Front and rear crumple zones
- 5-mph bumpers
- Body-side reinforcements
- Electronic shift interlock system
- Ignition key Interlock System
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- LATCH Lower Anchors and Upper Tether Anchors
- Power window lock-out button
- Child safety locks on rear passenger side
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS) with Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Driver and front passenger side-impact airbags (SRS)
- Front and rear passenger side-curtain airbags (SRS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with 4-wheel disc brakes
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), Electronic Stability Control System (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Brake Assist
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
More from Hyundai: Meet the new 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric