MADD Continues Its Seasonal Campaign for Sober Driving
Held annually from November 1st through December 31st, MADD’s Tie One On For Safety® Campaign has been highlighting the importance of sober driving for over three decades. Why the name “tie one on”? Well, the phrase “tie one on” is slang for drinking alcohol. Also, the campaign does involve tying on a red ribbon and displaying it in your vehicle, as a visual reminder to designate a non-drinking driver during the holidays.
The campaign comes as a timely refresher about sober driving, considering that the period between Thanksgiving Day and New Year’s is one of the most hazardous times for transportation out of the year. Just last year alone, 891 victims were a result of drunk driving incidents; this is 26% of the overall driving-related fatalities that occurred during the year.
How to Participate
Promote safe driving this holiday season by joining MADD’s efforts. There are quite a few ways you can help.
- On November 7th-8th, donate to the campaign’s “Raise Against Time” fundraiser hosted on Facebook. The goal is to raise $100k in 50 hours, to commemorate the reality that every 50 minutes, drunk driving causes one fatality. Bonus tip: Share the fundraiser with your friends and family on Facebook.
- Visit your local MADD office to purchase your own ribbon, window decal, or magnet to display in your vehicle.
- Consider asking your guests to donate to MADD instead of bringing a hostess gift or food item for the party.
How to Promote Safe Driving
Besides supporting MADD directly, you can also personally advocate for sober driving this festive season by doing these three things.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages at your holiday parties and gatherings.
- When attending any party, make sure that you and your crew have a designated non-drinking driver to ensure that you return home safely. Also make sure that other guests have safe methods of driving home, as well; after all, friends look out for each other.
- Drink responsibly when you’re attending any event outside of your home.
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.