Mazda Unveils ‘Exquisite and Edgy’ Redesigned CX-3 at New York Auto Show
Mazda has three crossovers in its lineup: the CX-9, CX-5, and CX-3. The former two tend to get a lot of attention, as the CX-9 is Mazda’s largest flagship, and the CX-5 is the most recently redesigned of the three that constitutes the majority of the brand’s sales.
However, Mazda continues to care deeply for its smallest crossover, the CX-3, and at the New York International Auto Show, it unveiled a new, redesigned 2019 CX-3 to the crowd.
Mazda has changed the exterior of the CX-3 to “add a deeper feeling of elegance and quality” in a number of ways. Mazda calls the improvements on the outside “subtle,” and personally, I have to call that description “accurate.”
Here’s what Mazda says is new on the 2019 CX-3:
- New Grille
- New chrome accents on front and around side
- Piano black accents on the side pillars and fog light bezels
- New Soul Red Crystal paint
- New cylindrical taillight design
- New 18-inch wheels with a multifaceted spoke design
Once those are pointed out, I can see what they are talking about, but they are somewhat easy to miss at first, so I took the liberty of pointing them out on this shot of the new CX-3.
For reference, here’s the old one.
Personally, I’m not sure why, but the new CX-3 just seems subtly longer than the previous one. I couldn’t really tell you why for certain – it’s possible that it’s the new paint.
2019 CX-3 Exterior Gallery
The interior saw more drastic changes. Once again, here is Mazda’s list of what changed:
- Redesigned center console and armrests
- Newly electronic parking brake with auto-hold feature
- Redesigned front seats—made wider, with high-density vibration-absorbing urethane foam inside
- Newly available leather seating on higher trim levels with high-gloss pleated piping
- New suede-like trim dashboard and door trim
- New red louver accents around HVAC vents
- New rear-seat center armrest with built-in cupholders
Since these are far more noticeable, I will just provide the photos and you can spot them yourselves.
2019 CX-3 Interior Gallery
Engine and Suspensions Tweaks
Finally, as the brand usually does, Mazda has revamped the powertrain and suspension. Here’s what Mazda reports is new.
- Retuned SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter direct-injection gasoline engine for increased torque, better fuel efficiency, and lower friction – power metrics are expected to bump up ever so slightly to 148 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque
- Fine-tuned suspension and power steering
- New low-profile tires to better absorb shocks from the road and reduce braking distances
- Thicker door panels, rear-door glass, and headliner with upgraded door seams for a quieter cabin