Mazda Unveils ‘Exquisite and Edgy’ Redesigned CX-3 at New York Auto Show
Mazda has three crossovers in its lineup: the CX-9, CX-5, and CX-3. The former two tend to get a lot of attention, as the CX-9 is Mazda’s largest flagship, and the CX-5 is the most recently redesigned of the three that constitutes the majority of the brand’s sales.
However, Mazda continues to care deeply for its smallest crossover, the CX-3, and at the New York International Auto Show, it unveiled a new, redesigned 2019 CX-3 to the crowd.
Mazda has changed the exterior of the CX-3 to “add a deeper feeling of elegance and quality” in a number of ways. Mazda calls the improvements on the outside “subtle,” and personally, I have to call that description “accurate.”
Here’s what Mazda says is new on the 2019 CX-3:
- New Grille
- New chrome accents on front and around side
- Piano black accents on the side pillars and fog light bezels
- New Soul Red Crystal paint
- New cylindrical taillight design
- New 18-inch wheels with a multifaceted spoke design
Once those are pointed out, I can see what they are talking about, but they are somewhat easy to miss at first, so I took the liberty of pointing them out on this shot of the new CX-3.
For reference, here’s the old one.
Personally, I’m not sure why, but the new CX-3 just seems subtly longer than the previous one. I couldn’t really tell you why for certain – it’s possible that it’s the new paint.
2019 CX-3 Exterior Gallery
The interior saw more drastic changes. Once again, here is Mazda’s list of what changed:
- Redesigned center console and armrests
- Newly electronic parking brake with auto-hold feature
- Redesigned front seats—made wider, with high-density vibration-absorbing urethane foam inside
- Newly available leather seating on higher trim levels with high-gloss pleated piping
- New suede-like trim dashboard and door trim
- New red louver accents around HVAC vents
- New rear-seat center armrest with built-in cupholders
Since these are far more noticeable, I will just provide the photos and you can spot them yourselves.
2019 CX-3 Interior Gallery
[wptab name=’Engine and Suspension’]
Engine and Suspensions Tweaks
Finally, as the brand usually does, Mazda has revamped the powertrain and suspension. Here’s what Mazda reports is new.
- Retuned SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter direct-injection gasoline engine for increased torque, better fuel efficiency, and lower friction – power metrics are expected to bump up ever so slightly to 148 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque
- Fine-tuned suspension and power steering
- New low-profile tires to better absorb shocks from the road and reduce braking distances
- Thicker door panels, rear-door glass, and headliner with upgraded door seams for a quieter cabin
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.