Febreze Car Vent Clip Review: A New Type of Air Freshener
It’s a good thing that I love my car, a 2014 Hyundai Elantra, as I spend a lot of time in it. Since I’m often on the road, I feel that my car is my second home. Therefore, I want my car to have a pleasant scent, and when I saw the Febreze Car Vent Clip, I immediately knew I had to try this product out.
Product: Febreze Car Vent Clip
Manufacturer: Febreze (Procter & Gamble)
MSRP: $3.49 for single unit; can be purchased in multi-packs too
Size: 6.0 x 4.0 inches (box); 1.0 x 1.0-inch unit holding 0.06 fl. oz.
Great Car Products: Our review of the all-weather RainEater wiper blades
The purpose of the Febreze Car Vent Clip is to keep your car smelling fresh for longer than traditional air fresheners do. The claim on the package is to keep your car fresh for up to 30 days. It clips onto the cabin A/C vent in your car and has a dial for you to control the amount/intensity of the scent being released.
Febreze released the car clips early in 2012 and they have been widely used ever since. Scents include Hawaiian Aloha, New Car Smell, Happy Spring, Moonlight, and nearly a dozen more. I tested the limited edition Cranberry Cheer scent.
The clip is encased in clear plastic surrounded by cardboard. The cardboard packaging is approximately 6-inches by 4-inches; it has an attractive design and a stand-out appearance.
The clip itself is a durable solid plastic with an inner ‘squishy’ packet where the freshening fluid is kept. The color of the clip I purchased was a gray plastic with a pink freshening liquid. The clip can last after the 30 days, long after the freshening scent evaporates, but unfortunately the clip cannot be “refilled,” so new ones do need to be purchased when the scent is gone.
Instructions for Usage
if you just pulled out the clip from the packaging, you would have no idea what to do with it. However, one look at the instructions and you’ll understand what to do. You simply pull the back clip section out until it “clicks.” This releases the freshening liquid and allows you to clip it to the vent with ease.
The product directions make it very easy to understand and it takes less than a minute to click the clip into place. There is no need to save the instructions, as it is a onetime application process. In addition, all the clips are made the same way, so I probably won’t need to look at the instructions with the next clip.
Over time, the liquid in the unit will evaporate and it will be time to get a replacement.
Improve Your Car: Information on a revolutionary fuel thermalizer that amps up performance
Overall Assessment: Does It Do What It Advertises?
This product did actually succeed in keeping a fresh scent in my car for 30 days. In fact, as I write this, it has been 32 days and the scent is still there.
Pros of the Febreze Car Vent Clip:
- Attractiveness– The product is eye-catching and attractive in my car. It has a compact, clean, and modern look.
- Location– It is small and fits nicely in the vent. Not much space is needed, which is a definite perk. It does not get in your line of vision as other air fresheners that hang on your mirror do. You can also move it to the passenger vent if desired.
- Consistency– Other air fresheners have started off strong and then faded quickly. This clip stayed consistent in its scent for a month.
- Adjustability– There is a dial on the clip that allows you to choose the amount/intensity of scent released.
Cons of the Febreze Car Vent Clip:
- Vent Usage– This was not a con for me, but for some people it may be. If you are someone who rolls down windows and does not like to use the internal HVAC system , the car clip will not work as well.
- Non-Reusable– You do have to continually buy the car clips each month. However, the clip still lasted longer than advertised, and longer than other car fresheners that I have tried.
- Dial Label Placement– The dial is a great feature, but the meter showing which direction increases or decreases the amount of scent is hard to spot at first and should be featured more prominently on the unit so it’s easier to see.
- Scent Accuracy– The “Cranberry Cheer” scent of my Febreze Car Vent Clip was a pleasant scent but did not really smell like cranberries (especially as a “holiday”-themed scent).
Overall, I feel that the pros definitely outweigh the cons. This is a product that I would buy again to keep my car smelling fresh.
- Vicki WidmarContributor
Vicki Widmar is from the small Ohio town of Prospect. As a science and English teacher who also writes curriculum for a post-secondary program for adults with disabilities, Vicki loves writing about a range of topics, including the automotive industry. When not in front of a class or behind a computer, she enjoys being outside and exploring new locations with her husband and her 2014 Hyundai Elantra. Vicki is eager to share her stories with anyone who will listen—including her experience learning to drive in a manual-transmission 1986 Isuzu Turbo.