2016 Chevrolet Cruze Overview
The 2016 Chevrolet Cruze is a compact sedan that carries a starting MSRP of $16,620. The 2016 model year marks the debut of the second-generation Chevy Cruze. The new Cruze is lighter and more fuel-efficient, and packs more standard technology than the first-generation model, which is still being sold and has been rebranded as the Cruze Limited. The 2016 Chevy Cruze competes in the same segment as the Honda Civic, Ford Focus, and Toyota Corolla.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s new for the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze?
Besides sporting a redesigned exterior, the 2016 Chevy Cruze comes standard with the MyLink touchscreen infotainment system that’s compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The second-generation Cruze is also 250 pounds lighter than its predecessor and its turbo engine provides 15 additional horsepower. The FWD 2016 Chevrolet Cruze comes in four trims: L, LS, LT, and Premier.
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Photos:
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Exterior
The Chevy Cruze offers a sportier and more muscular design for the 2016 model year. The redesigned split front grille and bold rear headlamps are just two of the sedan’s eye-catching features. The 2016 Cruze comes standard with 15-inch steel wheels, but if go up one trim level to the LS model, then your Cruze will be fitted with 16-inch aluminum alloys, as well as LED running lights. Available on the LT and Premier trims is the RS Appearance package, which adds a rear spoiler, foglights, sport body kit, and 18-inch wheels.
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze L
- 15-inch steel wheels with bolt-on covers, Power-adjustable outside mirrors, Halogen headlamps with automatic on/off and delay, blackwall tires, Daytime Running Lamps, 195/65R15 all-season
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LS
- Halogen headlamps with automatic on/off and delay, 195/65R15 all-season Blackwall tires, Daytime Running Lamps, 15-inch steel wheels with bolt-on covers, Power-adjustable outside mirrors
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LT
- 16-inch aluminum wheels, Halogen headlamps with automatic on/off and delay, Blackwall compact spare tire, Power-adjustable & heated outside mirrors, LED running lights, RS Package (Standard on manual), 16-inch steel spare tire
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Premier
- 17-inch aluminum wheels, Body-color door handles with chrome strip, Power-adjustable & heated outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, LED running lights, 16-inch steel spare tire, Blackwall compact spare tire
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Performance
While the 2015 Chevy Cruze offered multiple engine options, the only motor available with the new second-generation model is a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder that provides 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed manual transmission comes standard, but consumers can opt for a six-speed automatic instead. Chevy has estimated that the new Cruze will be able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds.
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Efficiency
When equipped with the six-speed automatic transmission, the LS and LT trims are good for an EPA-estimated 30 mpg in the city and 42 mpg on the highway. Fuel economy for the Premier model dips to 40 mpg on the highway because it’s upgraded Z-Link suspension adds additional weight to the vehicle. In addition, the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan comes standard with a 13.7 gallon fuel tank.
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Interior
The interior of the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze is more spacious and comes standard with more tech equipment than the 2015 model. The Chevy MyLink infotainment system is standard across all trims and is available with both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. A 7-inch touchscreen comes standard with the infotainment system, but a larger 8-inch screen is available for the LT and Premier trims. Other standard tech features include OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity and Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth, a rear vision camera, single-zone air conditioning, and a four-speaker sound system. Furthermore, the trunk provides 14.8 cubic feet of cargo space.
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze L
- Rear Vision Camera, Driver 6-way manual adjustable seats, Single-zone electronic air conditioning, Front bucket seats, 4-speaker audio system, Driver Information Center with monochromatic display, OnStar®1 with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LS
- Driver 6-way manual adjustable seats, Rear Vision Camera, Single-zone electronic air conditioning, Front bucket seats, Driver Information Center with monochromatic display, OnStar®1 with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot, 4-speaker audio system
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LT
- Rear Vision Camera, Rear 60/40 split-folding seats, Single-zone electronic air conditioning, Front bucket seats, Driver 6-way manual adjustable seats, OnStar®1 with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot, Driver Information Center with monochromatic display, Cruise control, 6-speaker audio system, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Premier
- Rear 60/40 split-folding seats, Visors with driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, Single-zone electronic air conditioning, Interior ambient lighting, Driver 8-way automatic adjustable seats, Rear Vision Camera, Front bucket seats, Optional Driver Information Center with 4.2-inch diagonal color display, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, 6-speaker audio system, Cruise control, Keyless start switch, OnStar®1 with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot, Remote vehicle starter system
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Safety
Chevrolet says the 2016 Cruze has been built with more high-strength steel in order to provide better crash protection in key areas like the passenger compartment. The new Cruze comes standard with 10 airbags, stability control, and antilock brakes. Advanced safety technology offered with the 2016 Cruze includes rear cross traffic alert, lane keep assist, and forward collision alert. The lane keep assist technology uses sensors to warn drivers if they are veering out of their lane and can also steer the vehicle back onto the correct path if the driver fails to react to its warning. In addition, the forward collision alert system provides a tailgating alert if the driver is following another car too closely and can also provide a crash imminent alert if the driver is closing on another car too rapidly.
Standard Safety Features
- Front pretensioner safety belts
- Rear center position 3-point safety belts
- OnStar Guidance Plan for 6 months
- OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years
- 10 standard airbags, rearview camera
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- StabiliTrak stability control system
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.