2016 Chevy Equinox Overview
Debuted in Chicago earlier this year and set to be released this fall, the 2016 Chevy Equinox is a mid-generation refresh with a redesigned front and rear fascia and several new features.
The 2016 Chevy Equinox is available in four trim levels, which include the L, LS, LT, and LTZ. The specs listed in this model overview reflect front-wheel drive models, though the LS, LT, and LTZ grades are also available with all-wheel drive.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Chevy Equinox?
The 2016 Chevy Equinox trim lineup has been streamlined with the removal of the 1LT and 2LT trim options, leaving just the L, LS, LT, and LTZ. The L and LS models now come with a new standard seven-inch Color Touch radio with Bluetooth phone connectivity and rear-vision camera, as well as enhanced interior fabrics, and an optional 17-inch wheel (LS only).
The LT and LTZ models now come with aluminum wheels (17-inch on LT models, 18-inch on LTZ), new LED daytime running lamps, available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features, and new fog lamps (LTZ only).
All 2016 Equinoxes come with new projector-beam headlamps, dual-element taillamps, revised license plate appliqué, revised lower rear fascia, revised instrument panel center stack with new storage shelf and updated control graphics, a new available interior color called “Saddle Up,” and a new front fascia and chrome-accented dual-port grille design.
2016 Chevy Equinox Photos:
2016 Chevy Equinox Exterior
The styling updates for 2016 give the crossover SUV a more modern front fascia, complete with the dual-port grille design that this ear of Chevrolet vehicles feature. There are also new reflector-style headlamps in the front, as well as LED daytime running lamps on the LT and LTZ, and fog lamps for the top-of-the-line LTZ.
2016 Chevy Equinox Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the Equinox L and LS:
- Body-color bumpers with charcoal lowers, Power-adjustable side mirrors with integrated blind spot mirrors, Compact spare tire with steel wheel, 17-inch aluminum wheels, Front variable-speed intermittent wipers with washer
Exterior features available on the Equinox LT:
- Deep-tinted glass, Daytime running lamps, Heated power-adjustable side mirrors, Luggage rack side rails
Exterior features available on the Equinox LTZ:
- Front halogen fog lamps, Bright chrome side mirrors, 18-inch aluminum wheels
2016 Chevy Equinox Performance
The 2016 Chevy Equinox’s standard 2.4-liter DOHC four-cylinder Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI) engine yields 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque. The 3.6-liter SIDI V6 option is considerably more powerful, yielding 272 lb-ft of torque and a best-in-class 301 horsepower. The V6 is also capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds, and has a peppy 0-60 mph time of 6.7 seconds.
2016 Chevy Equinox Efficiency
Chevy Equinox FWD models equipped with the base four-cylinder engine have an impressive EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 22 mpg in city driving and 32 mpg on the highway. For AWD models, the mileage drops to 20/29 mpg in city/highway traffic.
Unsurprisingly, the V6 Equinox is not quite as efficient, yielding 17/24 mpg with front-wheel drive and 16/23 mpg with all-wheel drive.
2016 Chevy Equinox Interior
For 2016, the Chevy Equinox interior offers new chrome shift buttons, a redesigned center stack with a new storage shelf, new graphics for the instrument panel, a newly available Saddle Up interior color, and upgraded, higher quality fabrics for the L and LS trims.
Interior features available on the Equinox L, LS, and LT:
- Power windows with express-down on all four doors, Manual climate control, Premium cloth seats, Power lumbar and power height adjuster on driver’s seat, Comfort grip steering wheel, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Front center console, Rear center armrest, Electronic cruise control
Interior features available on the Equinox LTZ:
- Automatic climate control, Self-dimming rearview mirror, Perforated leather-appointed heated seats, Memory settings for driver’s seat and exterior mirrors, 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Rear cargo cover, Rear cargo net
2016 Chevy Equinox Safety
A rearview camera is standard on all 2016 Chevy Equinox models, and optional Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features are now available for LT and LTZ trims. Though the 2016 Equinox has yet to undergo IIHS or NHTSA crash testing, its high scores for the 2015 model are expected to carry over.
Standard Safety Features
- Six airbags, including frontal airbags, side-impact airbags, and head curtain airbags
- Hill-Start Assist
- Rear child security door locks
- LATCH system
- OnStar Basic Plan for five years
- Three-point seatbelts in all seating positions
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system
- Traction control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.