2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overview
There are few vehicles in the car industry that can top the Jeep Grand Cherokee. As one of the most recognizable models in Jeep’s lineup, the Grand Cherokee is a midsize SUV that is anything but traditional. This SUV is truly the perfect mixture of off-road capabilities and luxury. With three available four-wheel-drive systems, and premium features, the 2016 Grand Cherokee is one of the best vehicles in its class. If you want an everyday vehicle that will handle the rough trails, too, then look no further than the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Like What You See? Learn even more about the Jeep Grand Cherokee
What’s New for the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
For the 2016 model year, Jeep has given the Grand Cherokee plenty of mechanical changes. It has a new shift lever that remains in the selected position, and the models outfitted with the 3.6-liter V6 engine now have standard automatic stop-start technology. Every trim but the SRT also have standard electric-assist power steering. Aluminum has also made its way into the Grand Cherokee’s body, making it lighter than ever before. Finally, there’s a new trim level—High Altitude—that offers some pretty awesome new features.
The 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee is offered with two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive in seven trim levels: Laredo, Laredo E, Limited, Overland, High Altitude, Summit, and SRT.
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Photos:
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exterior
Like every Jeep in the brand’s lineup, the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers consumers a ruggedly handsome exterior. Despite its rugged good looks, though, the 2016 Grand Cherokee still has an air of sophistication about it. Its sweeping body lines and soft corners give it an elegance that isn’t normally associated with an off-roading vehicle. This SUV is the perfect combination of practical and luxurious that you wouldn’t expect.
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Laredo:
- 17-inch aluminum wheels, Automatic quad halogen headlamps, LED tailamps, Light headlamp bezel finish, Low beam Daytime Running Headlights, Body-colored door handles, Body-colored fascias, Capless fuel fill, Deep tint sunscreen glass, Heated power mirrors, Integrated liftgate rear spoiler, Rear wiper, Acoustic windshield, Black claddings
Exterior available on the Laredo E:
- Bright side roof rails
Exterior available on the Limited:
- 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, Body-colored grille with bright inserts, Bright door handles, Heated power chrome mirrors with memory and integrated turn signals, Power liftgate, Single exhaust with bright tip, Premium fog lamps
Exterior available on the Overland:
- 20-inch aluminum polished wheels, Auto headlight leveling, Auto high beam control, Bi-xenon HID headlamps, LED Daytime Running Lights, Dual-pane panoramic sunroof, Courtesy lamps in mirrors, Front chrome tow hooks, Polished dual exhaust tips, Power folding and multifunction mirrors, Rain-sensitive windshield wipers, Body-colored claddings
Exterior available on the High Altitude:
- 20-inch alloy wheels with black finish, Black headlamp bezels, Tail lamp bezels with Trivalent finish, Trivalent finish fog lamp bezels, Body-colored door handles
Exterior available on the Summit:
- 20-inch polished alloy wheels, Body-colored grille with chrome inserts, Headlamp washer, Premium accent claddings, Rear sunscreen acoustic laminate glass
Exterior available on the SRT:
- 20-inch polished 5-spoke wheels, Run flat tires, Auto headlamp leveling system, auto headlamps, auto high beam headlamp control, Bi-xenon HID headlamps, Daytime Running Headlamps, LED tail lamps, Premium fog lamps, Body-colored door handles, Capless fuel fill, Deep tint sunscreen glass, Exterior lamps with memory and integrated turn signals, Headlamp washer, Power heated mirrors, Hood insulation, Integrated liftgate rear spoiler, Polished dual exhaust tips, Power liftgate, Power locking fuel fill door, Rain sensitive wipers, rear wiper, Bright tip exhaust, Tinted glass
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Performance
Every Jeep Grand Cherokee—with the exception of the SRT—comes standard with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, which churns out 295 horsepower. The Limited, Overland, and Summit also have two additional engines: a 5.7-liter V8 that churns out a healthy 360 horsepower and 390 lb-ft of torque and a turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine that generates 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.
There’s only one engine option for the SRT trim. A 6.4-liter V8 turns the Grand Cherokee into a powerhouse, producing 475 hp and 750 lb-ft of torque. Every model, regardless of the engine, comes standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is also standard, though there are multiple available 4WD systems.
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the standard 3.6-liter V6 engine comes in at 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. For the SRT’s 6.4-liter V8, the fuel efficiency comes in at a lower 14 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. The 5.7-liter V8 engine has an anticipated fuel economy rating of 15 city and 21 highway, while the diesel engine gets an impressive 22 city and 29 highway.
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior
Despite its off-road prowess, the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers a luxurious, comfortable interior that you would typically see in a premium vehicle. Terrific materials combine with a sophisticated design to create the perfect atmosphere for an everyday car. Like many of Fiat Chrysler’s vehicles, the Grand Cherokee comes with the brand’s amazing Uconnect system. This infotainment system is considered one of the best in the business. The optional 8.4-inch touchscreen is also a great feature to have, and comes with a Wi-Fi hotspot and smartphone app integration. In fact, I might say that the 2016 Grand Cherokee might have one of the most passenger-friendly cabins in its segment.
Along with a superbly connected cabin, this SUV also offers plenty of room for up to five passengers. There’s a dual Blu-ray-capable rear entertainment system, and comfortable seats that are perfect for long road trips. The Grand Cherokee has 36.3 cubic feet of storage when the rear seats are up, nearly doubling when the rear seats are folded down.
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Laredo:
- 60/40 split rear folding seats, Cloth low-back bucket seats, 12-volt outlets, Air filtration system, Cargo tie down loops, Cargo trim panel with storage net, Dual-zone automatic climate control, Floor-length console, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Power locks and windows, Steering-wheel mounted controls, LED lighting,
- Electronic Vehicle Information Center, Exterior temperature display, 5.0-inch touchscreen display, Six speakers, 7-inch LCD instrument cluster, Integrated voice command with Bluetooth, Media Hub (SD/USB/Aux), Uconnect 5.0
Interior available on the Laredo E:
- Power four-way driver lumbar adjust, Power eight-way driver seat
- Optional Uconnect 8.4 NAV and Access 6-mo. Trial
Interior available on the Limited:
- Heated front and second-row seating, Leather-trimmed bucket seats, Auto-dimming mirror, Heated steering wheel, Premium door trim panel, Universal garage door opener
- ParkSense with Rear Park Assist and Stop, Dual USB port, Remote start system, Security alarm
Interior available on the Overland:
- Leather-trimmed perforated seats with edge welting, Ventilated front sets, Cargo net, Leather-wrapped instrument panel with center armrest, Luxury door trim panel, Wood/leather-wrapped steering wheel, Under seat lighting, Instrument cluster with off-road display pages
- 506-watt amplifier, 8.4-inch touchscreen display, Nine amplified speakers with subwoofer, GPS Navigation, HD Radio, Roadside Assistance and 911 Call, Uconnect 8.4 NAV
Interior available on the High Altitude:
- SRT brushed aluminum pedals
- Adaptive cruise control, Advanced Technology Group, Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection, Full speed Forward Collision Warning Plus
Interior available on the Summit:
- Leather-trimmed bucket seats, Active Noise Control System, Illuminated sill plates
- ParkSense Front/Rear Park Assist with Stop, 19 Harman Kardon speakers with subwoofer, 825-watt amplifier
Interior available on the SRT:
- 60/40 split rear folding seat, 8-way power driver/passenger seats with memory, Driver/passenger power 4-way lumbar adjust, heated front and second-row seating, Leather seats with perforated ultra suede, Ventilated seating, 12-volt power outlets, 115-volt outlet, Active Noise cancellation, Air filtration, Auto-dimming mirrors, Cargo tie down loops, Driver and passenger lower LED lamps, Auto-dimming exterior mirror, Dual-zone automatic temperature control, Heated steering, Illuminated sill plates, Leather-wrapped instrument panel and shift knob, Nappa Leather with Non-Laguna door trim, SRT brushed aluminum pedals, Tip start, Universal garage door opener, Front and Rear interior LED lighting, Instrument cluster with off-road display pages
- Electronic Vehicle Information Center, Exterior temperature and compass display, 506-amplifier, 7-inch LCD cluster with tachometer, 8.4-inch touchscreen display, Nine amplified speaker with subwoofer, Dual USB ports, GPS navigation, HD Radio, Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth, Media Hub (SD, USB, Aux), Roadside assistance and 911, Uconnect 8.4 NAV, Blind Sport and Cross Path Detection, Electronic rear limited-slip differential, Enhanced Accident Response, Full speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, ParkView Rear Backup Camera, Security Alarm
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Safety
The 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a long list of standard safety features. It also has plenty of available advanced safety technologies, including blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and a forward collision warning mitigation system. These are all available with the Advanced Technology Group option package.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Advanced Multistage Airbags
- Electronic Stability Control
- Enhanced Accident Response System
- Hill Start Assist
- LATCH Ready Child Seat Anchor System
- Keyless Enter-N-Go
- Lock On Sync Tire Pressure Sensor
- Rain Brake Support
- Ready Alert Braking
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Trailer Sway Damping
The Future of Jeep: See what the newest Jeep model has to offer
A born-and-raised Jersey girl, Caitlin Moran has somehow found herself settled in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she’s not spending her days trying to remember which side of the road to drive on, Caitlin enjoys getting down and nerdy with English. She continues to combine her love of writing with her love of cars for The News Wheel, while also learning more about the European car market—including the fact that the Seat brand is pronounced “se-at” not “seat” as you might think. See more articles by Caitlin.