2016 Mazda CX-5 Overview
From the company that brings you vehicles dedicated to enhancing the fun of driving comes its very own sporty SUV: the 2016 Mazda CX-5. As the SUV made for the driver who likes to have fun while driving (but also needs more cargo room), the new 2016 CX-5 is sure to make a splash.
The CX-5 is available in three trim levels: Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. It is also available with a number of Packages and Options, including a Rear Camera Package, which includes a ton of technology and app integration; the Moonroof and Bose® Audio Package, which adds, as it says, a moonroof and Bose audio; the Touring and Grand Touring Technology Packages, which both add a number of technologies to the CX-5; and a huge number of other optional add-ons.
[wptab name=”What’s New?”]
What’s New for the 2016 Mazda CX-5?
For the 2016 model year, Mazda has made a number of small but significant changes to the CX-5. First among these is an update to the CX-5’s style, along with a new infotainment system. Other updates include improved interior trimmings, new driver-assist safety systems, and standard Bluetooth phone connectivity.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
On the outside, the CX-5 sports the trademark Mazda smiley-face grille, and also makes use of a number of features like auto-off halogen headlights and turn signal indicator mirrors. These all meld together to produce a dashing exterior for one of the most fun SUVs on the road.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport:
- Auto-off halogen headlights, Delay-off headlights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Body-color door handles, Rear cargo liftgate, Turn signal indicator mirrors
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring:
- Auto-off halogen headlights, Front fog lights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Rear cargo liftgate, Turn signal indicator mirrors, Delay-off headlights, Body-color door handles, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring:
- Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Delay-off headlights, Front fog lights, Body-color door handles, Turn signal indicator mirrors, Rear cargo liftgate, Heated door mirrors, Auto-off halogen headlights
2016 Mazda CX-5 Performance
The 2016 CX-5 comes with two different engine options: a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter DOHC with VVT, and a SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter DOHC with VVT. Similarly, it also comes with two transmission options: a SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual overdrive, and a SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed Sport automatic with manual-shift and Sport modes. The 2.0-liter engine pulls off 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque, whereas the 2.5-liter adds a herd of horses, bringing its performance up to 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque. With the 2.5-liter engine, the CX-5 drives from 0 to 60 in 8.0 seconds.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Efficiency
Since the 2016 CX-5 comes with available front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations, there are three different fuel efficiency ratings. The first, for the 2.0-liter engine paired solely with the manual transmission, is 26 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway. Then, for the 2.5-liter engine with the front-wheel drive automatic transmission, the CX-5 still gets 26 mpg in the city, but a slightly lower 33 mpg on the highway. Finally, there is the 2.5-liter engine with the all-wheel drive automatic transmission, which gets 24 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Interior
We mentioned earlier that Mazda has improved the CX-5’s interior materials, but that isn’t the only (or the best) feature inside the 2016 CX-5. To the relief of many with runny noses in the spring, the CX-5 features a pollen filter in its air conditioning. Then, of course, don’t forget the new infotainment system, the Human-Machine Interface (which will almost definitely not be as ominous as the name suggests).
2016 Mazda CX-5 Interior Photos:
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport:
- Speed control, A/C with pollen filter, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Push button start, Remote keyless entry
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring:
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Push button start, A/C with pollen filter, Speed control, Remote keyless entry, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Rear seat center armrest, Six-way power-adjustable driver seat
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring:
- Remote keyless entry, Rear seat center armrest, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, A/C with pollen filter, Automatic climate control, Speed control, One-touch fold-down rear seatback, Power moonroof, Push button start
2016 Mazda CX-5 Safety
The CX-5 received the highest possible safety rating (“Good”) from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in a number of different safety tests, as well as an overall four-star rating (out of five) from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (with a four-star rating in front-impact tests and five stars for side-impact tests).
Standard Safety Features:
- Advanced front airbags with seat-belt use, passenger-weight, and driver’s seat-position sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Collapsible steering column and foldaway brake pedal assembly
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)