2016 Mazda CX-5 Overview
From the company that brings you vehicles dedicated to enhancing the fun of driving comes its very own sporty SUV: the 2016 Mazda CX-5. As the SUV made for the driver who likes to have fun while driving (but also needs more cargo room), the new 2016 CX-5 is sure to make a splash.
The CX-5 is available in three trim levels: Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. It is also available with a number of Packages and Options, including a Rear Camera Package, which includes a ton of technology and app integration; the Moonroof and Bose® Audio Package, which adds, as it says, a moonroof and Bose audio; the Touring and Grand Touring Technology Packages, which both add a number of technologies to the CX-5; and a huge number of other optional add-ons.
[wptab name=”What’s New?”]
What’s New for the 2016 Mazda CX-5?
For the 2016 model year, Mazda has made a number of small but significant changes to the CX-5. First among these is an update to the CX-5’s style, along with a new infotainment system. Other updates include improved interior trimmings, new driver-assist safety systems, and standard Bluetooth phone connectivity.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
On the outside, the CX-5 sports the trademark Mazda smiley-face grille, and also makes use of a number of features like auto-off halogen headlights and turn signal indicator mirrors. These all meld together to produce a dashing exterior for one of the most fun SUVs on the road.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport:
- Auto-off halogen headlights, Delay-off headlights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Body-color door handles, Rear cargo liftgate, Turn signal indicator mirrors
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring:
- Auto-off halogen headlights, Front fog lights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Rear cargo liftgate, Turn signal indicator mirrors, Delay-off headlights, Body-color door handles, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna
Exterior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring:
- Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Delay-off headlights, Front fog lights, Body-color door handles, Turn signal indicator mirrors, Rear cargo liftgate, Heated door mirrors, Auto-off halogen headlights
2016 Mazda CX-5 Performance
The 2016 CX-5 comes with two different engine options: a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter DOHC with VVT, and a SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter DOHC with VVT. Similarly, it also comes with two transmission options: a SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual overdrive, and a SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed Sport automatic with manual-shift and Sport modes. The 2.0-liter engine pulls off 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque, whereas the 2.5-liter adds a herd of horses, bringing its performance up to 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque. With the 2.5-liter engine, the CX-5 drives from 0 to 60 in 8.0 seconds.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Efficiency
Since the 2016 CX-5 comes with available front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations, there are three different fuel efficiency ratings. The first, for the 2.0-liter engine paired solely with the manual transmission, is 26 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway. Then, for the 2.5-liter engine with the front-wheel drive automatic transmission, the CX-5 still gets 26 mpg in the city, but a slightly lower 33 mpg on the highway. Finally, there is the 2.5-liter engine with the all-wheel drive automatic transmission, which gets 24 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Interior
We mentioned earlier that Mazda has improved the CX-5’s interior materials, but that isn’t the only (or the best) feature inside the 2016 CX-5. To the relief of many with runny noses in the spring, the CX-5 features a pollen filter in its air conditioning. Then, of course, don’t forget the new infotainment system, the Human-Machine Interface (which will almost definitely not be as ominous as the name suggests).
2016 Mazda CX-5 Interior Photos:
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport:
- Speed control, A/C with pollen filter, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Push button start, Remote keyless entry
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring:
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Push button start, A/C with pollen filter, Speed control, Remote keyless entry, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Rear seat center armrest, Six-way power-adjustable driver seat
Interior available on 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring:
- Remote keyless entry, Rear seat center armrest, Tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, A/C with pollen filter, Automatic climate control, Speed control, One-touch fold-down rear seatback, Power moonroof, Push button start
2016 Mazda CX-5 Safety
The CX-5 received the highest possible safety rating (“Good”) from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in a number of different safety tests, as well as an overall four-star rating (out of five) from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (with a four-star rating in front-impact tests and five stars for side-impact tests).
Standard Safety Features:
- Advanced front airbags with seat-belt use, passenger-weight, and driver’s seat-position sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Collapsible steering column and foldaway brake pedal assembly
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.