2016 Toyota 4Runner Overview
When you feel the itch for adventure in your soul, you need a car that’ll match your enthusiasm. For some, that car is likely to be the 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Combining an affordable MSRP of $33,510, a spacious interior for all your gear, and a capable, if fairly inefficient engine, the 4Runner should be on your consideration list for your next road trip.
Choose from the 4Runner’s four available trim levels: SR5, Trail, Limited, and TRD Pro.
Compare: Learn about the 2015 4Runner
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota 4Runner?
The 4Runner carries over into the 2016 model year relatively unchanged. However, drivers can now enjoy upgraded Entune multimedia systems. The SR5 and Trail models feature Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation, which uses your phone to provide navigation through the head unit. The new system also comes with standard Siri Eyes Free.
2016 Toyota 4Runner Photos:
2016 Toyota 4Runner Exterior
The 2016 4Runner is designed to be taken off the beaten path. Its body-on-frame construction includes a coil-spring suspension and a four-link rear axle to help keep the ride smooth whether on- or off-road. The TRD Pro model adds trail-ready features like Bilstein high-performance shocks and Nitto Terra Grappler tires.
The 4Runner isn’t just built tough—it also has the looks to back it up. A unique grille adorns the front end, while projector-beam headlights help guide the way. A hood scoop helps improve aerodynamics while increasing fuel efficiency. Color choices include Barcelona Red Metallic, Attitude Black, Magnetic Gray Metallic, and Classic Silver Metallic.
2016 Toyota 4Runner Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on SR5:
- Projector-beam headlights with smoked trim, LED taillights with smoked sport trim, Integrated fog lights, Color-keyed bumpers and door handles, Heated side mirrors, Privacy glass on rear side, Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED center, Skid plates, Front and rear mudguards
Exterior available on Trail:
- Silver accents on bumpers and door handles, 7-spoke wheels
Exterior available on Limited:
- Auto on/off headlights, Chrome trim, Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Chrome door handles with touch-sensor lock/unlock feature, Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, 20-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on TRD Pro:
- Color-keyed bumpers with black accents, hood scoop, rear spoiler, “Toyota” front grille, TRD badging, Matte-black TRD alloy wheels, TRD aluminum skid plate
2016 Toyota 4Runner Performance
Each 2016 Toyota 4Runner model is motivated by a 4.0-liter V6 engine that pumps out 270 horsepower and 278 lb-ft of torque. The SUV is equipped with a standard integrated tow-hitch receiver and wiring harness, allowing it to haul up to 5,000 pounds with a 470-pound tongue weight.
2016 Toyota 4Runner Efficiency
Unsurprisingly, the 2016 4Runner doesn’t offer the most impressive efficiency ratings. Front-wheel-drive models come with EPA-estimated ratings of 17 mpg city, 22 mpg highway, and 19 mpg combined. Choosing four-wheel drive lowers the highway and combined numbers slightly, to 21 mpg and 18 mpg respectively.
2016 Toyota 4Runner Interior
While the 4Runner’s exterior is designed for on- and off-road prowess, its interior was created for comfort. A simple dash allows drivers to navigate the infotainment system with ease, as well as temperature and other controls. Seating surfaces are either SoftTex or perforated leather, depending on which model you choose.
You can also opt for heated and ventilated front seats, as well as an auto-dimming rearview mirror to make night driving a breeze.
2016 Toyota 4Runner Interior Photos:
Interior available on SR5:
- Air conditioning with air filter, Fabric-trimmed adjustable seats, Leather-trimmed steering wheel with controls, Optitron instrumentation with LCD display, Power windows and locks, Power rear liftgate, Center console storage, Gated shift lever, Three 12-volt outlets
- Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation, Multi-Information Display, Remote keyless entry, Backup camera
Interior available on Trail:
- Overhead console with Multi-terrain Select with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Crawl Control, Locking rear differential switch, Downhill Assist Control
Interior available on Limited:
- Dual zone auto climate control with air filter, Perforated leather-trimmed heated seats with memory function, Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Entune Premium JBL Audio with integrated navigation, Entune App Suite, Smart Key System, HomeLink universal transceiver, Safety Connect with Emergency Assistance, Front and rear parking assist sonar
Interior available on TRD Pro:
- Softex-trimmed heated seated, TRD shift knob, TRD floor mats,
- Entune Premium Audio with integrated Navigation and App Suite, In-key remote keyless entry, Downhill Assist Control (DAC), TRD Bilstein shocks, TRD-tuned front springs
2016 Toyota 4Runner Safety
The Toyota 4Runner’s sheer stance means that it’ll come out on top in most collisions; however, the SUV still has plenty of safety features designed to keep you secure. Eight airbags are standard, as is Toyota’s Star Safety System, which includes stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, brake assist, electronic brake-force distribution, and Smart Stop Technology.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System with TRAC, ABS, Brake Assist, VSC
- Advance Airbag System
- LATCH child safety system
- Side impact door beams
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Hill Star Assist Control
- Anti-theft system with immobilizer
- ToyotaCare with maintenance plan and roadside assistance
Good to Know: Here’s what you should do if you witness a car crash
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.