2016 Toyota Highlander Overview
For drivers who need extra seating in their rides but don’t want to go the minivan route, a three-row SUV like the 2016 Toyota Highlander is just the ticket. The Highlander’s spacious interior makes it ideal for growing families, while maintaining a certain styling edge over the typical minivan.
Toyota offers the 2016 Highlander in five trim levels: LE, LE Plus, XLE, Limited, and Hybrid Limited.
Compare: Check out the 2015 Highlander
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota Highlander?
The 2016 Toyota Highlander pretty much carries over unchanged from the previous model year, with one exception; all models now get a Tow Prep Package, allowing the Highlander to haul up to 5,000 pounds.
2016 Toyota Highlander Photos:
2016 Toyota Highlander Exterior
The Highlander is a true crossover, pairing the rugged looks and capability of a truck with the efficiency of a car. Its aggressive front end hints at its off-road capabilities, while luxurious finishes on upper trim levels bring to mind a vehicle with a much higher price tag.
The 2016 Highlander is offered with nine exterior color choices: Blizzard Pearl, Silver Sky Metallic, Predawn Gray Mica, Midnight Black Metallic, Ooh La La Rouge Mica, Crème Brulee Mica, Alumina Jade Metallic, Nautical Blue Metallic, and Shoreline Blue Pearl
2016 Toyota Highlander Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the LE
- Projector-beam halogen smoked-chrome-accent headlights with auto on/off feature, Daytime Running Lights with on/off feature, Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and folding feature, Color-keyed outside door handles, 18-inch split 5-spoke alloy wheels, Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers and intermittent rear wiper, Windshield wiper de-icer, UV reduction glass on all windows, High Solar Energy-Absorbing (HSEA) glass on front and rear side windows, Privacy glass in rear, Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED center high-mount stop light
Exterior available on the LE Plus
- 18-inch split 5-spoke machined-face alloy wheels, Flip-up rear hatch window, Adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
Exterior available on the XLE
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade and jam protection, 18-inch split 5-spoke machined-fact alloy wheels with gunmetal-gray finish, Chromtec roof rails
Exterior available on the Limited
- LED Daytime Running Lights with on/off feature; Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with memory function, turn signal and blind spot warning indicators, puddle lights, and folding features; 19-inch 5-spoke Chromtec® alloy wheels
Exterior available on the Hybrid Limited
- Hybrid Synergy Drive® blue accent badges, Black front and rear mudguards
2016 Toyota Highlander Performance
All gasoline-powered Highlanders come with a beefy 3.5-liter V6 engine under the hood. On the base LE model, the V6 is an option; a 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. The four-cylinder engine produces 185 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, but most drivers will opt for the more powerful V6, which pumps out 270 hp and 248 lb-ft of torque.
The Highlander also offers a 3.5-liter V6 hybrid engine, which offers 280 hybrid system net horsepower.
2016 Toyota Highlander Efficiency
Most three-row SUVs guzzle gas, but the 2016 Highlander merely sips its fuel. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine yields 20 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway, while the 3.5-liter V6 is good for 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
Choosing the hybrid model ups the fuel efficiency ratings to 27 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, making it one of the most efficient three-row crossovers on the market.
2016 Toyota Highlander Interior
The Highlander’s interior is all about driver and passenger comfort. While the base LE is furnished with fabric seats, the other models offer leatherette or leather-trimmed upholstery, as well as conveniences like three-zone climate control.
All Highlander models come with some form of Toyota’s Entune infotainment system, from its most basic (which still includes Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, and voice-recognition) to the most tricked-out JBL version with 12 speakers. Upper trim levels are also equipped with Driver Easy Speak—a function that allows the driver to communicate with back-seat passengers without yelling, thanks to its voice amplification feature.
2016 Toyota Highlander Interior Photos:
Interior available on the LE
- Features: Front and rear air conditioning with air filter and second- and third-row vents, 3.5-inch LCD Multi-Information Display, Fabric-trimmed front- and second-row seats, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat, 60/40 split second-row seats, Fabric-trimmed 60/40 fold-flat third row seat, Cruise control, Gated shift lever with silver metallic shift bezel and LED indicator illumination, Soft-touch upper door trim with metallic accent, Fabric-covered door armrest area with black interior door handles, Remote keyless entry with remote illuminated entry, Power windows with driver and front passenger auto up/down and jam protection, Eight cup holders and four bottle holders
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch high-resolution touchscreen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Six speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, Phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, Siri® Eyes Free, Intelligent Touch controls, Integrated backup camera display with projected path
Interior available on the LE Plus
- Features: Three-zone automatic climate control, 4.2-inch color LCD Multi-Information Display, Fabric and SofTex®-trimmed front-and second-row seats, 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat including power thigh support and lumbar support, Fabric- and SofTex-trimmed 60/40 fold-flat third-row seat, Leather-trimmed shift knob with silver metallic accents, Leather-trimmed steering wheel, Leatherette-trimmed door armrest area
- Radio and Technology: Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, 8.0-inch high-resolution touchscreen display, Scout® GPS for Cars, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, HD Radio™, HD traffic and weather in major metro areas
Interior available on the XLE
- Features: Leather-trimmed front-and second-row seats, Heated front seats, SofTex-trimmed 60/40-split fold-flat third row seat, Satin chrome interior door handles, Smart Key System with push-button start, Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, Gracenote® album cover art, HomeLink® universal transceiver, Driver Easy Speak – driver voice amplification
Interior available on the Limited
- Features: Perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated front-row seats, Perforated leather-trimmed second-row captain’s chairs with side table, Soft-touch upper door trim with wood-grain accent, Blue LED ambient lighting on interior of front and rear doors and in-dash shelf, Power windows with auto up/down and jam protection in all positions
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, 12 JBL GreenEdge™ speakers, Integrated backup camera display with dynamic gridlines
Interior available on the Hybrid Limited
- Features: Same as Limited
- Radio and Technology: Same as Limited
2016 Toyota Highlander Safety
As with most family-oriented vehicles, the Highlander focuses on safety. Driver and passenger are surrounded by airbags that will deploy in case of an accident. The Highlander is built with front and rear crumple zones and a collapsible steering column designed to keep occupants safe in a collision.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™ – includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, Driver knee airbag, Front passenger seat-cushion airbag, All-row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags (RSCA)
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt warning sensor
- 3-point seatbelts in all seating positions
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Collapsible steering column
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones and side-impact door beams
- Energy-dissipating interior trim
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Engine immobilizer
- ToyotaCare featuring a no-cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
New Toyota Models: Toyota’s Tokyo Auto Show lineup was outstanding
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.