2016 Toyota Tacoma Overview
Following its official debut at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the 2016 Toyota Tacoma is finally ready to rock the road. The truck comes with a redesigned body and a larger front grille that makes it stand out among its competitors.
The 2016 Tacoma offers five separate trim levels: SR, SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and Limited. Each model allows you to choose between Access Cab and Double Cab, except the Limited, which comes with standard Double Cab configuration. Depending on the model, you can also choose from a Short Bed, Standard Bed, and Long Bed.
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota Tacoma?
EVERYTHING! The 2016 Tacoma marks the beginning of the mid-size truck’s third generation. It’s been rebuilt to be lighter and more rigid, making it competitive in the reemerging mid-size truck market. New suspensions, rear differential, and rear axle work together for a smoother ride on-road, while remaining extremely capable off-road.
The Tacoma’s interior has also been upgraded, and now includes a standard GoPro camera mount for the more adventurous truck driver.
The 2016 Tacoma has a starting MSRP of $23,300 for the base SR model, and tops out at $34,745 for the tricked-out Limited trim.
2016 Toyota Tacoma Photos:
2016 Toyota Tacoma Exterior
New exterior features for the 2016 Tacoma include a larger and more prominent grille, projector beam headlamps, a locking tailgate, and an infused spoiler. The latter feature, along with the new character lines and front air dam work together to make the Tacoma more efficient, while retaining its aggressive new looks.
2016 Toyota Tacoma Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on SR
- 16-inch Styled steel wheels, Power outside mirrors, Composite bed, Deck rail system
Exterior available on SR5
- Charcoal grille with chrome surround
Exterior available on TRD Sport
- 17-inch Machined alloy wheels, Smoked Gray Chrome grille with chrome surround, LED Daytime Running Lights, Power side mirrors with turn signal indicators, Composite bed with 120V power outlet
Exterior available on TRD Off-Road
- 17-inch Machined Contrast alloy wheels, Chrome rear bumper, Black overfenders, Color-keyed door handles
Exterior available on Limited
- 18-inch Polished alloy wheels, Smoked-Gray-Finish grille with chrome surround, Power tilt/slide moonroof, Chrome-accented door handles
2016 Toyota Tacoma Performance
The Tacoma is powered by one of two engines: a 2.7-liter four-cylinder which generates 159 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque (standard on SR and SR5); and a 3.5-liter V6, which puts out 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque (standard of TRD models and Limited).
Tacoma drivers can choose from one of two new transmissions—a six-speed automatic and a six-speed manual (the latter is not available on the SR5 or Limited models).
When equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 engine and the available Tow Package, the Tacoma can tow up to 6,800 pounds, or a payload of up to 1,440 pounds, which is comparable to other mid-size trucks. The Tow Package also includes Trailer-Sway Control, which applies brake pressure at individual wheels and manages engine torque to prevent the trailer from swaying during high wind.
2016 Toyota Tacoma Efficiency
Two-wheel-drive Tacoma models equipped with the 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine and the automatic transmission come with an EPA-estimated 19 mpg in the city, 23 mpg on the highway, and 21 mpg combined. That same engine/transmission paired with four-wheel drive gets 19/22/20 mpg city/highway combined. Change that to a manual transmission and the highway rating drops to 21 mpg.
The 3.5-liter V6 has fairly similar numbers, with 19/24/21 mpg city/highway/combined when paired with two-wheel drive and the automatic transmission. Four-wheel-drive models with the V6 engine and automatic transmissions yield 18/23/20 mpg city/highway/combined, and those numbers drop to 17/21/19 with manual transmission.
Finally, the Tacoma Double Cab with the V6 and manual transmission get 17/20/18 mpg city/highway/combined.
2016 Toyota Tacoma Interior
The 2016 Tacoma’s interior features soft-touch materials for the ultimate in comfort. Cloth seats are standard, but the Limited trim offers leather seats for added luxury. The Tacoma’s interior is quieter than ever, thanks to an improved cab-to-bed seal, a new front chin spoiler, and improved aerodynamic performance.
Available dual-zone automatic climate control makes it easier for driver and passenger to keep their sides of the vehicle at optimum temperature. And even on cold days, the available power moonroof allows you to enjoy clear skies without the chill of actually being outside.
2016 Toyota Tacoma Interior Photos:
Interior available on SR
- Fabric-trimmed seats, Power windows and door locks, Air conditioning, Tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio controls, Entune™ Audio
Interior available on SR5
- Cruise control, Leather-trimmed tilt and telescopic steering wheel and shift lever, Cruise control, Leather-trimmed tilt and telescopic steering wheel and shift lever
Interior available on TRD Sport
- Smart Key System with Push Button Start, Entune Premium Audio with integrated navigation and app suite, Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging
Interior available on TRD Off-Road
- Crawl control
Interior available on Limited
- Leather-trimmed seats, Front dual-zone automatic climate control, Leather-trimmed shift lever, Entune Premium JBL® Audio with integrated navigation and app suite
2016 Toyota Tacoma Safety
A new door structure makes the interior of the 2016 Tacoma safer than ever before. The truck comes with the usual safety features, but also offers available extras like rear parking sonar, a blind spot monitor, and a rear cross-traffic alert system.
Standard Safety Features
- Tire pressure monitor system
- Engine immobilizer
- Active front headrests and six airbags
- Integrated backup camera
- Star Safety System™ – includes stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brakeforce distribution, brake assist, and smart stop technology
- LATCH system for child safety seats
Keep Your Tacoma Clean: Follow these car-cleaning tips for a spotless truck
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.