2016 Toyota Yaris Overview
The Toyota Yaris is a popular subcompact car offered as a hatchback with either three or five doors. Its small exterior hides a larger than expected interior, and its hatchback configuration allows you to move more cargo than in the average sedan.
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota Yaris?
The 2016 Toyota Yaris remained unchanged from the previous model year. It’s available in three trim levels—L, LE, and SE—with the first two available with three or five doors, and the latter available in five-door configuration only.
2016 Toyota Yaris Photos:
2016 Toyota Yaris Exterior
Outside, the 2016 Toyota Yaris boasts sporty styling typical of today’s subcompact hatchbacks. In 2015, Toyota introduced new hood sculpting, a large Toyota emblem surrounded by brightwork, and a trapezoidal grille reminiscent of that on other Toyota models. The 2016 version has all this, plus the one windshield wiper that had us scratching our heads last year (it works, though)!
The Yaris comes with eight exterior color choices, including Super White, Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Absolutely Red, Blue Streak Metallic, Barcelona Red Metallic/Black Sand Pearl, and Crushed Ice/Black Sand Pearl.
2016 Toyota Yaris Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on L
- Multi-reflector halogen headlights with chrome accents, Black front grille, Color-keyed outside mirrors and door handles, 15-inch steel wheels, Intermittent single-pantograph wet-arm windshield wiper, Rear window wiper and defogger, Roof-mounted antenna, Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Exterior available on LE
- Black front grille with chrome accent, Color-keyed power outside mirrors, 15-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on SE
- Projector-beam headlights with black sport trim and LED light bar accent, Integrated fog lights with chrome surround, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Black front grille with piano-black accent, Rear spoiler, 16-inch machined-finish alloy wheels
2016 Toyota Yaris Performance
All five 2016 Yaris models house the same 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine under their hoods. This engine pumps out 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque—not all that impressive sounding, but given the hatchback’s small size and light weight, it’s more than enough power to get you up to speed on the interstate. This engine is mated to either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. The 2016 Yaris is available with front-wheel drive only.
2016 Toyota Yaris Efficiency
What the Yaris’ small engine lacks in power ratings, it makes up in fuel efficiency. When powered by the five-speed manual transmission, the Yaris yields 30 mpg in the city, 37 mpg on the highway, and 33 mpg combined. Choosing the four-speed automatic transmission lowers those ratings to 30/36/32 mpg city/highway/combined—still impressive by anyone’s standards.
2016 Toyota Yaris Interior
Despite the Yaris’ small size, it still boasts 15.6 cubic feet of cargo space in its trunk—and that number goes up when you lower the rear 60/40 split seat. Additionally, the 2016 Yaris offers plenty of storage compartments, including door pockets, a center console storage compartment, and a passenger-size glove compartment.
All Yaris models are equipped with the same Entune Audio infotainment system, which includes Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming.
2016 Toyota Yaris Interior Photos:
Interior available on L
- Features: Fabric-trimmed front seats, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, Tilt 3-spoke steering wheel, Power windows with driver-side auto-down, Power door locks with illuminated entry, Day/night rearview mirror, Front seat maplights, Passenger-side glove compartment, Twi front and one rear cup holders with bottle holders in rear doors, Dual extendable sun visors with vanity mirrors, Cargo area tonneau cover
- Radio and Technology: Yaris Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch touchscreen, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, Six speakers, HD Radio™ with iTunes® Tagging, Auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® connectivity and control, Hands-free phone capability, Voice recognition, Music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, One 12V auxiliary power outlet
Interior available on LE
- Features: Cruise control, Tilt 3-spoke steering wheel with audio controls, Metallic interior accents with satin chrome interior door handle, Remote keyless entry system
- Radio and Technology: Same as L
Interior available on SE
- Interior Features: Sport fabric-trimmed front seats, Leather-trimmed tilt 3-spoke sport steering wheel with audio controls, Leather-trimmed shift knob
- Radio and Technology: Same as L
2016 Toyota Yaris Safety
In the past, small cars got a bad rap for being unsafe, but the 2016 Yaris knocks that stereotype out of the park. Each model comes with nine airbags, Toyota’s Star Safety System, and ToyotaCare maintenance plan. The Yaris also comes with LATCH tethers for child safety seats in both rear outboard seating positions.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™- includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- Nine airbags – includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver knee airbag, driver and front passenger seat cushion airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions; driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger seatbelts
- Front seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Child-protector rear door locks (5-Door models only)
- Energy-absorbing collapsible steering column
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones with side-impact door beams
- Head-impact protection structure
- High-tensile-strength steel body panels
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- ToyotaCare featuring a no cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.