2017 Chevrolet Cruze Overview
The passenger car market has been flagging of late, as consumer tastes shift to larger crossovers. However, as the past two months of rising Cruze sales have indicated (even though these may be fleet sales, and not regular consumer sales), this compact car is not out of the running just yet.
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze?
The largest update for the 2017 Cruze is the addition of a whole new body style, a hatchback, for the LT and Premier trim levels, followed closely by the release of a new diesel powertrain, which is available as its own trim (it is based on the LT trim, with the addition of a handful of features) and only in the sedan version. In addition, for 2017 the Cruze receives General Motors’ Teen Driver system, which acts as a monitor intended to help new drivers develop good driving habits.
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Exterior
The 2017 Chevy Cruze comes with the same exterior style that debuted on last model year’s redesign, including the brand’s creased hood, new angular dual grille, and strong side body lines. On lower trim levels, the Cruze features technology like automatic on/off headlights and a set of 15-inch tires, although these increase to 16- or 17-inch on higher trims. The Cruze comes in 11 different colors, five in shades of black and white with Black, Graphite Metallic, Nightfall Gray Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic, and Summit White; two shades of blue with Arctic Blue Metallic and the premium-priced Kinetic Blue Metallic; two shades of red with Red Hot and premium-priced Cajun Red Tintcoat; and one shade of orange, the premium-priced Orange Burst Metallic.
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze L
- Solar absorbing glass and windshield, Dual projector headlamps with automatic on/off, Outside power-adjustable manual-folding mirrors, 15-inch steel wheels with bolt-on covers, 195/65R15 all-season blackwall tires, Tire sealant and inflator kit
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LS
- Same as Cruze L
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT
- Front fog lamps, Rear spoiler, 16-inch aluminum wheels, 205/55R16 all-season blackwall tires, T115/70R16 blackwall compact spare tire
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Premier
- 17-inch aluminum wheels, 225/45R17 all-season blackwall tires
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Performance
For 2017, the Cruze comes nearly universally with a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which produces 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. The diesel models, however, come with a 1.6-liter turbocharged diesel engine that makes 137 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque. These engines deliver power with either a manual or automatic transmission, both of which are 6-speed transmissions (this choice is available on all models except for the Premier trim level, which only comes with an automatic, and the L trim level, which only comes with a manual). The diesel model’s automatic transmission, though, is a nine-speed, rather than six.
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Efficiency
Since the engine is the same in most Cruze models, its fuel efficiency is mostly based on its transmission and its body style.
In sedan models, the Cruze delivers an EPA-estimated 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway with a manual transmission, or 30 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway with an automatic. The Premier trim is again an exception, here, as it splits the difference and delivers 29 mpg city and 39 mpg highway with an automatic.
In hatchback models, the Cruze delivers an EPA-estimated 28 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway for manual models (and, surprisingly, the Premier trim). For automatic models, the Cruze delivers 29 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway.
The diesel Cruze, however, has the best efficiency numbers, making an EPA-estimated 30 mpg in the city, 52 mpg on the highway with the six-speed manual, and 31 mpg in the city and 47 mpg on the highway with the nine-speed automatic.
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Interior
The 2017 Cruze’s interior is praised for its refinement, with good-quality materials making up a sleek design of sweeping character lines. Also of note is the Cruze’s technology features, which includes Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system, which includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The sedan models offer 14.8 cubic feet of trunk volume, but that jumps in the hatchback to 22.7 cubic feet with the seats up or 47.2 cubic feet with the seats down.
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze L
- Single-zone air conditioning, Front and rear overhead courtesy lamps, Trunk/cargo area lighting, Manual day/night inside rearview mirror, Cloth seat trim, Six-way manual driver’s seat, Front bucket seats, Two-way manual passenger’s seat, Three-spoke steering wheel, Visors with vanity mirrors, Power windows with driver and front passenger Express-Down, Floor-mounted rear air ducts, Floor console without armrest, MyLink with 7-inch diagonal color touchscreen, Four-speaker audio system
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LS
- Deluxe three-spoke steering wheel, Floor console with sliding armrest
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT
- SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month subscription, Six-speaker audio system
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Premier
- Dual reading lights, Ambient lighting, Leather-appointed seat trim, Eight-way power driver’s seat, Four-way manual front passenger’s seat, Heated driver and front passenger seats, Leather-wrapped and heated three-spoke steering wheel, Floor console with armrest, Keyless Open/Start, Remote vehicle starter system, Visors will illuminated vanity mirrors
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Safety
Each Cruze comes standard with the normal assortment of safety features, including its 10 air bags and a rear vision camera. However, since it is a General Motors vehicle, it also comes with a number of OnStar® safety features like Crisis Assist and Emergency Services. Also, the Teen Driver system offers a configurable set of specific features, like limitations on vehicle features like the infotainment system, preventing certain safety systems from being deactivated, and providing a report on the new driver’s performance.
Standard Safety Features
- 10 air bags
- Daytime Running Lamps
- Rear Vision Camera
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- Five-year OnStar® Basic Plan
- Three-year OnStar® Guidance Plan
- Three-point rear center safety belts
- Front safety belts with pretensioners
- Teen Driver
- StabiliTrak® Electronic Stability Control System
- LATCH anchors for children’s seats