2017 Chevrolet Equinox Overview
The 2017 Chevrolet Equinox is a mid-size crossover that carries a starting MSRP of $23,100. Known for its spacious cabin, comfortable ride, and affordable price tag, the new Chevrolet Equinox is the vehicle you’d want to use to transport your family around town. The Equinox has been named “Highest Ranked SUV in Initial Quality in a tie, Two Years in a Row” by J.D. Power. With that type of strong reputation for dependability, it starts to make sense as to why the Equinox continues to be one of Chevy’s best-selling models year after year. Competition for the 2017 Equinox includes the Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, and Honda CR-V.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox?
It’s thought that an all-new version of the Chevrolet Equinox will be released in 2018, so the 2017 version is largely unchanged from the previous model year. One of the things that did change is that the LTZ model is now known as the Premier. In addition, a new Midnight package is available, which adds black 18-inch aluminum wheels, a black grille, black perforated leather-appointed seats, and two black Chevrolet bowtie badges. A Sport package is also offered for the 2017 Equinox, but it basically adds the same contents as the Midnight package, except for its white exterior paint job that’s accented in black.
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Exterior
The 2017 Chevrolet Equinox features a quiet, but confident exterior design, which many consumers say is one of the vehicle’s strongest selling points. Standard features on the new Equinox include 17-inch alloy wheels and automatic headlights, but as previously mentioned a Midnight package is available starting with the LT trim that adds more flamboyance to the crossover. Also, for those buyers who opt for the available V6 engine, they’ll see dual exhaust tips added to the rear of the vehicle. Exterior color options for the 2017 Equinox include Blue Velvet Metallic, Siren Red Tintcoat, and Silver Ice Metallic.
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox L
- 17-inch aluminum wheels, Black grille with chrome surround, Halogen projector style headlamps, Rear manual liftgate, Daytime running lamps, Tinted glass
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox LS
- 17-inch aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
- Heated outside mirrors, Luggage rack side rails, Deep-tinted glass, LED daytime running lamps
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox Premier
- 18-inch aluminum wheels, Body-color bumpers with charcoal lowers and rear bright chrome insert, Front fog lamps, Chrome door handles
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Performance
While the 2017 Chevy Equinox is available with a 301-horsepower V6 engine, the standard motor with this crossover is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder rated at 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque. Consumers have described the base four-cylinder as slow to accelerate, as well as loud when the throttle is pressed against the floor. Upgrading to the 3.6-liter V6 will come at an extra cost, but it will allow the 2017 Equinox to tow up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped. Furthermore, every 2017 Chevrolet Equinox comes standard with front-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission, though all-wheel drive is also offered.
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Efficiency
Fuel economy for the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox is dependent on your choice of engine, as well as the decision to either go with front-wheel or all-wheel drive. The FWD Equinox equipped with the standard engine is good for EPA-estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. However, the decision to go with all-wheel drive comes at a cost, as the AWD Equinox with the four-cylinder motor only yields 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. Each 2017 Chevy Equinox comes standard with an 18.8 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Interior
The 2017 Chevrolet Equinox offers a spacious and welcoming cabin that’s filled with standard features such as a 7-inch touchscreen system, a rearview camera, and six-speaker audio system. For a more upscale experience, Chevy offers a Convenience package beginning with the LT trim, which adds heated seats, automatic climate control, remote start, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, among other features. However, while many other models in the 2017 Chevrolet model lineup are available with Apple CarPlay compatibility, the Chevy Equinox is not among this group. What the Equinox lacks in infotainment, it may make for in cargo space as there is 31.5 cubic feet of storage room behind the rear seats. That figure increases to more than 63 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox L
- Remote keyless entry, Carpeted front floor mats, Compact spare tire with steel wheel, Front bucket seats, 12-volt power outlets, Manual climate control, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Comfort grip steering wheel, USB port , 6-speaker audio system, Universal Home Remote, Rear Vision Camera, OnStar® 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi®hotspot, Bluetooth®
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox LS
- Optional Front door illuminated door sill plates, Carpeted rear floor mats, Compass display, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
- Optional Automatic climate control, Chevrolet MyLink, Optional Pioneer®1 premium audio system
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox Premier
- Perforated leather-appointed heated seats, Driver and front passenger heated seats, 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Automatic climate control, Inside rearview self-dimming mirror, Optional lane departure warning, Optional forward collision alert
2017 Chevrolet Equinox Safety
The Chevy Equinox earned four out of a possible five stars in safety tests performed by the federal government. While the Equinox crossover earned the best possible rating of five stars for side protection, it only received four stars in the front crash protection category. Standard safety equipment for the 2017 Equinox includes stability and traction control, six airbags, and an antilock braking system. Chevy also offers a Driver Confidence package and Driver Confidence II package with the new Equinox. These packages add advanced safety technology like rear parking sensors, lane departure warning, a blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, and forward collision alert.
Standard Safety Features
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- LATCH system
- Rear child security door locks
- OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years
- Air bags with passenger sensing system
- Theft-deterrent system, anti-theft alarm and engine immobilizer
- Traction control
- StabiliTrak, electronic stability control system
- Brakes, Hill Start-Assist (HSA)
Dare To Compare: See how the 2017 Equinox stacks up against the 2016 model