2017 Chevrolet Malibu Overview
The Malibu was just redesigned last year, and it’s continuing to prove that it’s everything but a “typical” sedan. It offers a sexy silhouette that adds a touch of spice to its segment, while also providing both driver and passengers with an abundance of cargo room and leg room. Technology is also at the forefront with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone capabilities, along with a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. For a roomy, connected mid-size sedan, look no further than the 2017 Chevrolet Malibu.
[wptab name=”What’s New”]
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Malibu
For the 2017 model year, Chevy has discontinued the 2LT trim level. It has also changed the Premier trim level’s eight-speed automatic to a nine-speed automatic transmission.
The 2017 Chevrolet Malibu is offered in five trims: L, LS, 1LT, Hybrid, and Premier.
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Exterior
When it comes to exterior style, the Chevrolet Malibu doesn’t hold back. A sleek silhouette is enhanced by sculpted body lines and an agile stance that makes for an extremely attractive sedan. Available LED Daytime Running Lamps help make the Malibu even classier, while its standard 16-inch wheels enhance the vehicle’s sophisticated appearance. If you want a stylish vehicle without the price tag of a luxury car, then the 2017 Malibu is a great choice.
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the L:
- Daytime Running Lamps, Automatic on/off headlamp control, Halogen headlamps, Power-adjustable manual-folding side mirrors, 16-inch P205/65R all-season blackwall tires, 16-inch steel wheels with cover
Exterior available on the LS:
- 16-inch aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 1LT:
- LED Daytime Running Lamps, Heated power-adjustable body-color manual-folding side mirrors, 17-inch aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the Hybrid:
- 17-inch all-season P225/55R blackwall tires
Exterior available on the Premier:
- 18-inch 245/45R all-season blackwall tires, 18-inch aluminum wheels
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Performance
The trim level chosen changes the type of powertrain the Malibu uses. For the L, LS, and LT trim levels, a six-speed automatic transmission and a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine come standard. This setup churns out 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. The Premier trim comes with a nine-speed automatic and a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 250 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.
For the Hybrid model, the power is efficient with a gasoline-electric combo similar to the Chevrolet Volt’s powertrain. A 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine works with an electric motor to put out an overall of 182 horsepower and 277 lb-ft of torque.
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Efficiency
EPA-estimated fuel efficiency for the turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine comes in at 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway, which makes for a 30 mpg combined. The turbocharged 2.0-liter on the Premier trim gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city and 33 mpg highway, which makes for a 26 mpg combined. Finally, the fuel-efficient Hybrid gets a 46 mpg combined with 47 mpg city and 46 mpg highway.
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Interior
The 2017 Chevrolet Malibu isn’t a luxury vehicle by any means, but its interior has an aesthetically pleasing design and high-tech features that will satisfy. The optional MyLink touchscreen is top-notch with crisp graphics and clear colors. It has smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, along with a mobile 4G Wi-Fi hotspot, which makes it easy to stay connected out on the road.
In terms of cargo space, the trunk has 15.8 cubic-feet of storage, which is slightly larger for the segment. The Hybrid loses about 4 cubic feet due to the battery pack. When it comes to passenger space, the Malibu doesn’t skimp there, either. It is the perfect car for tall drivers with plenty of comfort and support in the seats.
All in all, the Malibu offers some great technology and space for a low price.
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Interior Photos:
Interior available on the L:
- Single-zone manual air conditioning, Manual day/night rearview mirror, Front bucket seats, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Three-spoke steering wheel, Carpeted front floor mats, Electronic cruise control, Power windows with Express-Down
- AM/FM stereo, Six-speaker audio system
Interior available on the LS:
- Compass display, Chevrolet MyLink® Radio with seven-inch color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock, OnStar® 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot, Rearview camera, Teen Driver
Interior available on the 1LT:
- Driver Express-Up/Down power window, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
Interior available on the Hybrid:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
Interior available on the Premier:
- Heated driver and front passenger seats, Heated steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Color display Driver Information Center, 120-volt power outlet ,Chevrolet MyLink® Radio with Navigation and eight-inch color touchscreen, Bose premium nine-speaker audio system, Dual USB charging-only ports, Remote vehicle starter system
2017 Chevrolet Malibu Safety
Each of the 2017 Malibu trim levels come standard with a long list of safety features. Every trim–with the exception of the base L–comes with Chevrolet’s Teen Driver feature, which can set parameters for certain drivers. A rearview camera also comes standard on the LS trim and up, and there are two advanced safety packages available that drivers can choose from. Overall, the Malibu has many safety features that will leave even the most safety-conscious drivers impressed.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- 10 airbags: frontal and knee for driver and front passenger, side-impact seat-mounted for front and rear outboard positions, roof rail-mounted for front and rear outboard seating positions, and Passenger Sensing System for front passenger seat
- Rear child security door locks
- ECM grade braking control
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) for child safety seats
- OnStar® Guidance Plan for three months
- Rear seat reminder
- StabiliTrak stability control system with brake assist
- Manual release safety trunk latch
The News Wheel is a digital auto magazine providing readers with a fresh perspective on the latest car news. We’re located in the heart of America (Dayton, Ohio) and our goal is to deliver an entertaining and informative perspective on what’s trending in the automotive world. See more articles from The News Wheel.